The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Overall bad game.

This team needs to be faster with the puck and to change the PP.

Sedins should be 2nd unit at most and used mainly 5v5 since they seem to be more productive there.

Eriksson may be out so Jake should get back in.

Lines need to be juggled. 

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

They deserve a classy exit.  But it is harder to watch than I'd expected.  To see them so easily brushed aside... their passes going nowhere... the inability to hit the net with a decent shot... it's just so painful to watch.  They used to wear other teams down all on their own... a reliable point a game players.  Hell they were not only the best, they made hockey better. 

That's life. If there is up, there's going to be down. We got to watch something special every night. Now, it's time for us to put up with the down part of their play.

I am still thankful for getting the chance to watch them play. They changed the way hockey is played to some degree.

5 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'd like to try a line of Jake on left wing, Horvat and Boeser. What do we have to lose? Plus we must get Gudbanson signed sooner rather then later. We would be the cream puffs team if it wasn't for him.

Granlund Bo Boeser

Guance Sutter Dorsett

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Benching the kids for poor play and then watching the Sedins constantly lose the puck and their checks and take bad penalties. 

Not the best message to send. The leaders of this team need to be waay better.

Your best players are supposed to be your best players. Time to be realistic about where the Twins stand. We can't run our lines on whether or not it hurts Hank and Danks feelings. (Or Vanek or Gagner or Eriksson). I'd rather have a lunch bucket crew of hard workers with high energy, and an element of a crash and bang - defend the crease players. We are way too soft. And too slow. Which together is a very bad combo.

Hank looks frustrated as hell with those 3 penalties in the 3rd.

33 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'd like to try a line of Jake on left wing, Horvat and Boeser. What do we have to lose? Plus we must get Gudbanson signed sooner rather then later. We would be the cream puffs team if it wasn't for him.

It feels like it's more likely that Baer-Boeser are a combo than Horvat-Boeser.  Green has always kept them together in every game where they were both in.  Horvat has not always played on that line and even this game Burmistrov played there for the last 15min of the game. 

Gudbranson only played just over 12min.  His minutes already seemed low last game but then I thought it was maybe the handedness with Edler being LD.   

I don't see what all the doom and gloom is about.

What do you want?

It is only a matter of days ago I predicted all the "Green doesn't have to get results" was garbage but I didn't think I would be proved right quite so early. The coach has just started, he doesn't know most of the players and he will be coming to terms with his options and combinations for at least another 20 games so we need to give him (and the new players) a break.

I hate to say it but we are missing Edler already and that will be another blow to Green's progress imo.

I still think we are playing pretty well but we just lack the players who are ruthless in front of goal. 

I see some have got the knives out for Bo, Baertschi and Marky now - these people should find another Club imo - pure panic merchants who haven't the stomach for backing a team in rebuild/transition.

I'm spending less and less time on here (some of you will no doubt be happy) but honestly who needs to come onto a site created to support a hockey team just to read constant bitching and whining from posters, many who I guarantee don't even watch the games? The atmosphere on these boards is no better than that created by the Vancouver media, it's rancid and poisonous in the name of everyone is allowed an opinion, no matter how badly informed.

34 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Your best players are supposed to be your best players. Time to be realistic about where the Twins stand. We can't run our lines on whether or not it hurts Hank and Danks feelings. (Or Vanek or Gagner or Eriksson). I'd rather have a lunch bucket crew of hard workers with high energy, and an element of a crash and bang - defend the crease players. We are way too soft. And too slow. Which together is a very bad combo.

Hank looks frustrated as hell with those 3 penalties in the 3rd.

No you wouldn't Hairy. The last coach was forced to play lunch bucket players, in Skille, Chaput and Megna who were all quick, aggressive and gave their all every night and all you and others on here could do was rip them to pieces. I call that hypocrisy.

5 hours ago, Fantomex said:

No Daniel, you're not working. You're teetering on the side of useless.

5 hours ago, b3. said:

I wonder who is slow..

5 hours ago, redhdlois said:

I hope he's referring to him and his bro when he says "Our" puck movement is too slow......"Our" PP wasn't good....

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

Daniel. Speak for yourself bud

I don't get it. Do you guys seriously not understand that Henrik and Daniel are included in "Our" and "We"?

Is he supposed to say "Henrik and I suck" after every game? Seems kind of self-centred doesn't it, and you know players never talk like that to the media so don't act like it would be a reasonable thing to say.

Sick of reading these comments all the time, they're not even funny after the 1000th time. If you have a complaint about their play just say it, but don't act they're horrible leaders who blame their teammates, when they include themselves in the blame.

And in case you missed it, they did put blame specifically on themselves at the end of last season. Obviously it's not the kind of thing you say game after game though.

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not anymore. The Sedins are talent neutral. Keeping them versus replacing them makes zero difference. I'd rather have a couple of hard-nosed veterans who stand up for more than just their bloodline. 

They were horrible on the powerplay. If you can't see that, I can't help you. 

The Sedins are done. They are slow, indecisive, and ineffective. I'd rather have workman lines putting in the effort and driving hard to the net than the delusion that two 37 year old players can recapture former glory. 

Off the powerplay entirely. 

I'm one of them who think it was right of management not to trade the Sedins, although it probably were their decision anyway, but its been blatantly evident that it does not work with them and Vanik on the power play. They are all too slow to cover, when they cough of the puck. It all to often this leads to  2 on 1's or 3 on 1's break away.

Same reason I don't want Boeser on their wing, just like I don't want Vanik there.

If they want to continue playing them this much, they need a player like Granlund with them. Last nigth was just plain embarrashing to watch the PP...

7 hours ago, khay said:

I think at this point, Green probably realizes that he doesn't have many horses to compete against the rest of the NHL. The sad thing is that he doesn't even have enough defensive players to play a shutdown game. So, if I were Green, I would focus my efforts this season to establishing chemistry and lines that I can use into the next seasons. 

First, play the youth. There are 4 players on this team that are under 25 and are top 6 caliber: Horvat, Granlund, Baertschi, Boeser. And Virtanen is on the borderline. He is not a top 6 yet, but he could be and that's the decision that Green has to make, whether or not to groom Virtanen into a top 6 player or as a bottom 6 player.  I would personally try to groom Virtanen as a top 6 player and if that is the decision that is made, then the next decision is either to play him like a top 6 here or in the AHL. Among the older players (not counting the Sedins), only Eriksson is being paid as a top 6 player and he is here for the next 5 years. So if I were Green, I would do my best to form lines out of these 5 + Virtanen (depending on what he decided to do with Virtanen).

It goes without saying that the two centre pieces on this team are Horvat and Boeser. I think we need to build two lines around them. Before, I thought Horvat-Boeser would be a good idea but it became clear to me that they wouldn't work so well. The reason is because Boeser is good at finding a shooting position, and yet, Horvat will drive the net 9/10 times he has the puck on his stick. Horvat needs a player who can finish around the net, the "garbage collector", or a player that can drive the net with him so that Horvat can finish the garbage around the net. On the contrary, Boeser needs players that can make plays and get the puck to him when he is in a shooting position for a snipe.

Horvat:

Horvat is an offensively minded player but he is a north-south player without good ability to play the cycle game or the half court offence. The best way to make use of him is to surround him with another north-south player and a player that knows how to finish around the net. Now, Virtanen is yet another north-south player and Eriksson is a player who has shown in the past that he knows how to finish around the net.

2A: Virtanen-Horvat-Eriksson.

Boeser:

Among the young players, only Baertschi and Gralund can be qualified as playmakers. I would pair them together, and put Boeser, player that knows how to snipe in the slot, a player who can benefit from playmaking of Baertschi and Granlund on their wing. 

2B: Baertschi-Granlund-Boeser.

Of course, we don't have a first line so I labelled these two lines as 2A and 2B. Neither of these lines measure up well against the other team's best lines so they will get scored on quite a lot, but that's not the point. The point is to allow them to grow into their roles by playing them in the roles that you want them to be in. 

The rest:

The remaining players are Daniel, Henrik, Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov, Sutter, and Dorsett. The best way to make use of these players is as providing some sort of shelter or buffer for the 2A and 2B lines. It is clear that Sedins can still hold their own. It is also clear that Sutter and Dorsett can be useful for match up purposes. That leaves Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov. Personally, I think Burmistrov is an intelligent player and can be useful in a checking role alongside Sutter and Dorsett. And that means I would play only one of Vanek or Gagner at a time.

3A: Sedin-Sedin-Vanek/Gagner

3B: Burmistrov-Sutter-Dorsett

Now, if the decision is to groom Virtanen in a top 6 role in the AHL, then Gagner would slot in beside Horvat-Eriksson. 

The focus has to be on the future. This team does not have what it takes on defence for one, to compete for the playoffs, let alone up front. I was very wrong in my initial assessment based on preseason play.

I think that could be a reason, why he hasn't taken Vanik of Sedins wing yet. Its very obvious that the three of them are too slow together.

Anyone associated with the Canucks knows that Sedins and Granlund had chemistry, but Green refuses to play them together.

At the moment its nowhere good enough...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Edler is the most underappreciated player on this team and arguably our most important second to maybe Horvat now, and we're going to see a lot more of this garbage over the next 4 to 6 weeks. This team lacks a 23-25 minute defenceman who does the little things well. Sure Eddy has the occasional big blunder but all defencemen do, he does the little things well on a consistent basis though and without that we've got a giant hole on our hands.

Archived