The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

1 hour ago, Mango3 said:

Used to love watching TV, would binge entire shows within a few days. I have been in a rut these last few months nothing seems to really appeal to me. So I tried watching Mad Men, (everyone seems to only have great things to say about it, plus it won a lot of awards when it was on) i got through the first season and now once again I'm struggling. It seems boring, the same storyline through the entire show. (cheating on your spouse and working on new ad campaigns) Did anyone like it? Or am I losing my ability to judge shows? 

Mad Men Season 1 - 6/10

I felt similarly with Season 1, and even the first half of Season 2. But my advice is to stick with it. It really starts to find its legs by the end of Season 2 - the stories become more varied and interesting, and it gets much funnier too. From the back-half of Season 3 on it is awesome.

Edited by D-Money
  • Thanks 1

North of 60(1992-1998) 8.5/10

CBC's answer to Northern Exposure this series started in 1992.  I always watched this show here and there but now I am pvr'ing all the episodes and watching it in it's entirety.  Don't know why I like this show so much but I do, I also watched Northern Exposure back in the day as well.  At the time my grandparents lived on Pender Island and these shows remind me of that isolated small town with one general store feel.  The best part about this show was the shout out to White Rock!  Yes season's 1 and 2 lead character hails from White Rock in the show, I was shocked when he said he grew up in White Rock. 

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Sharp Objects: 9.25/10

Its the Season Two of True Detective that we all had hoped for. 

Interesting opinion. I personally liked TD2 so I'm borderline offended. LOL!

Sharp Objects is the total opposite of what TD2 was. It doesn't even bother with the crime solving plot.

I have an easy time explaining why I don't like Sharp Objects: it's slow and boring, too much drinking and the Zeppelin doesn't fit at all. But I have a much tougher time trying to explain why I still like it....

The Fall

Season 1&2 - 9/10

Season 3 - 7/10

Such an interesting character study. The first two seasons are packed with surprises, and the plot continually evolves and goes in new directions. The 3rd season has a really clever twist, but sputters with pacing. But overall, an excellent series.

• Upvote 1

On July 26, 2018 at 7:38 AM, D-Money said:

The Fall

Season 1&2 - 9/10

Season 3 - 7/10

Such an interesting character study. The first two seasons are packed with surprises, and the plot continually evolves and goes in new directions. The 3rd season has a really clever twist, but sputters with pacing. But overall, an excellent series.

There is something about english television shows, that are so captivating and well acted. It isn't maybe as dramatic as american shows, they are rather a calm build up but they keep you coming back. 

Last winter i went on a binge of BBC shows on netflix. I highly recommend the five, broadchurch, liars (this might be hard to find, but gosh it was freaking amazing) and doctor foster 

6 minutes ago, Mango3 said:

There is something about english television shows, that are so captivating and well acted. It isn't maybe as dramatic as american shows, they are rather a calm build up but they keep you coming back. 

Last winter i went on a binge of BBC shows on netflix. I highly recommend the five, broadchurch, liars (this might be hard to find, but gosh it was freaking amazing) and doctor foster 

Thanks. I really enjoyed Broadchurch too, but haven't seen the other 3. Will keep an eye out for them.

22 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

OZARK

right up my alley

I had to shut off TV after second episode otherwise I won't get anything done today.

Totally hooked

Watched 5 or 6 episodes yesterday.

Good to know there will be a season two

34 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Totally hooked

Watched 5 or 6 episodes yesterday.

Good to know there will be a season two

I didn’t mind Ozark. I think I ended up giving it a 6/10. Lots of potential. If not finished, then I won’t post more, as there’s a reason I dropped the score.

On a side note, I’ve been told my 2 year old daughter looks a lot like the girl with the curly blond hair. Hoping the attitude doesn’t match the girl in the show :unsure:

On July 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM, D-Money said:

I felt similarly with Season 1, and even the first half of Season 2. But my advice is to stick with it. It really starts to find its legs by the end of Season 2 - the stories become more varied and interesting, and it gets much funnier too. From the back-half of Season 3 on it is awesome.

Tried my best to watch it, halfway through season 3 i just couldn't do it. At that point i just started watching the first and last episode of every season. Still don't get the appeal and it was a strange ending to say the least....

On 7/30/2018 at 10:43 AM, Monty said:

I didn’t mind Ozark. I think I ended up giving it a 6/10. Lots of potential. If not finished, then I won’t post more, as there’s a reason I dropped the score.

On a side note, I’ve been told my 2 year old daughter looks a lot like the girl with the curly blond hair. Hoping the attitude doesn’t match the girl in the show :unsure:

Curious as to why you dropped your rating?

My only criticism was the flashback episode. I didn't like where it was slotted and I didn't like how the timelines were jumbled within it.

43 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Curious as to why you dropped your rating?

My only criticism was the flashback episode. I didn't like where it was slotted and I didn't like how the timelines were jumbled within it.

It’s been about a year since I last watched it, so I don’t remember all the things that rubbed me the wrong way. But the two for sure were:

1. The suddenness of the ending. In that, just how quickly everything flipped from who the antagonist now is. Now, it doesn’t bother me too much, as they are living in the Ozarks. So having a “small time” villain who even the viewer underestimated is a nice twist. 

2. Dropping the ball on specific character development. Mainly, his son (forget the daughter). The son has a major issue that went ignored after it was brought up; and brought up in a serious manner as well. Now, if they address it in the second season, good. Otherwise, they glossed over a rather serious problem for their child to developing.

• 3 weeks later...

The Good Wife

Thanks to Amazon Prime (just got it a few weeks ago), get a chance to watch things I’ve never seen before. Or, in Parks and Recs case, rewatch (because it’s brilliant).

The Good Wife is surprisingly good. 8 episodes in and there’s currently only one character I’m not liking too much, but she’s a minor character, so no big deal. Worth watching.

8 hours ago, Monty said:

The Good Wife

Thanks to Amazon Prime (just got it a few weeks ago), get a chance to watch things I’ve never seen before. Or, in Parks and Recs case, rewatch (because it’s brilliant).

The Good Wife is surprisingly good. 8 episodes in and there’s currently only one character I’m not liking too much, but she’s a minor character, so no big deal. Worth watching.

Seconded. I have watched the whole series with my wife. Started out as just watching what she wanted to watch, but I quickly enjoyed it as well.

It sputters at points, but is generally strong all the way through. Alan Cumming's character, Eli Gold, is outstanding.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:00 AM, Monty said:

The Good Wife

I'm still looking forward to HBO or Starz producing The BAD Wife  :ph34r:

I want to get Prime just for Parks and Rec. Is it a good option beyond that?

11 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I'm still looking forward to HBO or Starz producing The BAD Wife  :ph34r:

I want to get Prime just for Parks and Rec. Is it a good option beyond that?

Yeah, Prime is great. Lots of garbage (like Netflix), but considering it’s $70 for the year, and you get Amazon Prime free shipping and Amazon Music, it’s definitely worth it.

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah, Prime is great. Lots of garbage (like Netflix), but considering it’s $70 for the year, and you get Amazon Prime free shipping and Amazon Music, it’s definitely worth it.

Free shipping and music are low value to me (read 'zero').

The new Jack Ryan show would be worth it for me too.

• Upvote 1