The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

On 07/06/2018 at 2:36 PM, Shift-4 said:

lol

I couldn't decide if I actually liked him or not. I think he is a decent actor.

But not so sure about the overdone Italian.  

It was like black marinara over crispy linguine.

Yeah, it was too over-the-top for me. Especially because he is not particularly imposing. He reminded me of an Italian version of Little Ambrose from Archie comic books. 

Image result for little ambrose

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2018-06-07 at 5:15 PM, D-Money said:

The Rain, season 1 - 6/10

Gave this a try for my heritage's sake (I'm half-Danish). Basically a zombie series with no zombies. Some major, major flaws (episode 1 was really poorly done), and often dumbed down for the teens, but still had enough to hold my interest for the whole season.

DISCLAIMER: I have heard, however, that a lot of the themes/twists/whatever were very similar to The Walking Dead, but I haven't watched it, so...

Watched the first 3 episodes a week ago. Couldn’t be bothered to finish it.

The Proposal

0/10

This show makes me want to jump off the roof into a vat of lard that fills my ears and eyes so I never hear or see it again.  What even is it?

I'll probably watch it again next week though.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

GLOW

Waaay better than I expected. The cast is awesome. I think professional wrestling is stupid as a box of rocks but this was well worth the watch. 

Because of the binge factor, I watched both the first and the second season. I still maintain that if the show followed the standard “weekly release” as the soon to be extinct cable programs, it wouldn’t be nearly as “good.”

The only character on the show that had depth in the first season was Marc Maron. The second season, he had a little less character development, while Allison Brie had significantly more.

The Stand Miniseries 

Just finished the book and wanted to watch the characters I've spent so much time with on the screen. I thought that it was solid and stayed fairly true to the book, however it felt a little disoriented and some of the time jumps did not seem to be the very fluid. The show itself feels quite dated, though it was made in 1994 when tv shows were nowhere near the huge productions they are today that rival movies. Gary Sinise made a very good Stu Redman, I very much enjoyed his performance.  

50 minutes ago, Canuck Puck Luck said:

The Stand Miniseries 

Just finished the book and wanted to watch the characters I've spent so much time with on the screen. I thought that it was solid and stayed fairly true to the book, however it felt a little disoriented and some of the time jumps did not seem to be the very fluid. The show itself feels quite dated, though it was made in 1994 when tv shows were nowhere near the huge productions they are today that rival movies. Gary Sinise made a very good Stu Redman, I very much enjoyed his performance.  

M O O N. That spells “dated.”

• Haha 2

The Affair

Nearly finished the first season. When I first heard about it, I just assumed it was about two married couples who have an affair. Sounds fun. :mellow:

However, I’ve really been impressed with how the show is written and especially how the story is told. The first half of each episode tells the story through the narrative of how the man “Noah” remembers how things went down (telling story 4 years in the future to a detective), while the second half focuses on how the the woman “Allison” recounts the same events focused on in that episode. Incredibly interesting, because you’re getting two different narratives, and you have no clue which one is true, or if any of them are true. 

The “affair” itself is obviously important as it leads to all the events that transpired afterwards, but the actual cheating itself isn’t the focus. The events that unfold and how each remembers it is what makes this a fascinating series. 

Can’t wait to finish the first season and begin the second.

50 minutes ago, Monty said:

The Affair

Nearly finished the first season. When I first heard about it, I just assumed it was about two married couples who have an affair. Sounds fun. :mellow:

However, I’ve really been impressed with how the show is written and especially how the story is told. The first half of each episode tells the story through the narrative of how the man “Noah” remembers how things went down (telling story 4 years in the future to a detective), while the second half focuses on how the the woman “Allison” recounts the same events focused on in that episode. Incredibly interesting, because you’re getting two different narratives, and you have no clue which one is true, or if any of them are true. 

The “affair” itself is obviously important as it leads to all the events that transpired afterwards, but the actual cheating itself isn’t the focus. The events that unfold and how each remembers it is what makes this a fascinating series. 

Can’t wait to finish the first season and begin the second.

I can't remember if it is between the first and second season, or between the second and third season, but somewhere along the way this show transitions to absolute garbage. 

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I can't remember if it is between the first and second season, or between the second and third season, but somewhere along the way this show transitions to absolute garbage. 

That doesn’t surprise me. I’m looking forward to the second season, as I’ve heard they incorporate more perspectives from others involved. But, as I’ve mentioned many times before (as if anyone really cares), I’m more of a fan of ending a series after two/three seasons. Leave people wanting more. Otherwise, more often than not, you run out your welcome.

TKO

It's a crazy obstacle course game show.  Contestants try to complete a 4 stage obstacle course while their opponents hurl objects at them to throw them off.  I used to be a big fan of Wipeout so I thought this would be similar.  And while it was similar, it just wasn't as good as Wipeout.  I would rate it as mildly amusing.

One thing that bugged me is it seems that if you aren't going to win, you are better off failing quickly.  In the first episode, the worst contestant took 3rd place (and the 3rd place money that goes with it) because she failed right out of the gate.  The contestants that came in 4th and 5th made it further before failing and that cost them in their time score.

I'll try one more episode, but that might be it.

Used to love watching TV, would binge entire shows within a few days. I have been in a rut these last few months nothing seems to really appeal to me. So I tried watching Mad Men, (everyone seems to only have great things to say about it, plus it won a lot of awards when it was on) i got through the first season and now once again I'm struggling. It seems boring, the same storyline through the entire show. (cheating on your spouse and working on new ad campaigns) Did anyone like it? Or am I losing my ability to judge shows? 

Mad Men Season 1 - 6/10

Edited by Mango3