The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

7 hours ago, Monty said:

Nelly, also known as Catherine Tate? I really like her. British improve actor. I really liked her character. Not the best character on the show, but fine when used sparingly.

But Ed Helms is awful. 

Yes. Absolutely. His character dragged everything down. Him being the hero was the thing that ruined season 8 above others.

And the realizing that and making him a buffoon that gets what's coming to him in season 9 is the best thing about that one.

The character was terrible. When he was an ass in the beginning it was fine, as you weren't supposed to like him. But after The Hangover came out, they put him into a position he shouldn't have been in. He kind of half matured, without shedding the things that made him annoying.

And i totally agree about Nelly. The argument that she was the biggest problem in the latter season was always silly to me. I don't know that she added too much to the show, but I can't see how she really detracted from it. She was pretty funny at times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Yes. Absolutely. His character dragged everything down. Him being the hero was the thing that ruined season 8 above others.

And the realizing that and making him a buffoon that gets what's coming to him in season 9 is the best thing about that one.

The character was terrible. When he was an ass in the beginning it was fine, as you weren't supposed to like him. But after The Hangover came out, they put him into a position he shouldn't have been in. He kind of half matured, without shedding the things that made him annoying.

And i totally agree about Nelly. The argument that she was the biggest problem in the latter season was always silly to me. I don't know that she added too much to the show, but I can't see how she really detracted from it. She was pretty funny at times.

My favourite Nelly moment was, not surprisingly, when Toby thought he was in a relationship with her. But essentially because everything Toby did was gold.

And THAT’S how Helm’s should have been used. More often than Toby or Creed, but less than everyone else. Essentially, the amount they used Gabe.

• Like 1

Good point on Helms’ character being better early on. I actually found him kinda funny when he was just Jim’s annoying coworker at the Stamford branch. Also I’m slightly relieved to know I’m not the only one who really didn’t enjoy him and thought he actually detracted from the show a bit. 

What are your thoughts on season 10? (When I say “your thoughts” I’m speaking to everyone).

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Good point on Helms’ character being better early on. I actually found him kinda funny when he was just Jim’s annoying coworker at the Stamford branch. Also I’m slightly relieved to know I’m not the only one who really didn’t enjoy him and thought he actually detracted from the show a bit. 

What are your thoughts on season 10? (When I say “your thoughts” I’m speaking to everyone).

Like everything else once Carrell left. Forgettable.

The Robert California season wasn’t bad, just obviously not as good. The heavy on Helms seasons were cringe.

5 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

So are you saying you won’t watch it?

Blerg. I thought there already was a season 10, not the “trodding out old ideas” one.

I don’t know. I’ll probably watch it. But it’ll be bad.

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

RW performed so well as Dwight he probably pigeon-holed himself.

He’s also in his 50s now. So he’s typed cast for a role that shouldn’t be played by anyone over the age of 40.

On 2018-05-15 at 10:00 PM, Monty said:

Like everything else once Carrell left. Forgettable.

The Robert California season wasn’t bad, just obviously not as good. The heavy on Helms seasons were cringe.

The Robert California and the primarily Ed Helms heavy season was the same one.

It's easy to mix that up though as the whole season was just a mix bag.

Like within a 2-3 episode period in the end of season 8, you have all the stuff with Jim trying to save Dwight's career by physically preventing him from entering the Sabre Store board meeting, which was great. Then you have that Andy storyline where he decides to drive down to Florida to get Erin back, which was horrible. Then you have that storyline where Nellie just kind of sits in Andy's office and claims to be manager, which I thought was pretty hilarious. Then you have that part where Andy and Erin head to that Log Cabin to break up with his girlfriend Jessica, which was just the worst.

Basically, Andy was the worst.

• Upvote 1

On 2018-05-15 at 9:46 PM, Sean Monahan said:

I'd definitely watch it, but I don't know how excited I'd be about it. 

I don't know how necessary it is for a show to "exit while on top", if it's still enjoyable to watch. The issue is that the story was reaching a conclusion, and everything was essentially wrapped up. The last episode in particular tied a bow on it all.

You'd need to contrive a reason for a new season, with a largely new cast. The producers could make it work, but the finagling it would require might make for a different show altogether.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Like within a 2-3 episode period in the end of season 8, you have all the stuff with Jim trying to save Dwight's career by physically preventing him from entering the Sabre Store board meeting, which was great. Then you have that Andy storyline where he decides to drive down to Florida to get Erin back, which was horrible. Then you have that storyline where Nellie just kind of sits in Andy's office and claims to be manager, which I thought was pretty hilarious. Then you have that part where Andy and Erin head to that Log Cabin to break up with his girlfriend Jessica, which was just the worst.

So true.

Also, the next season with the two new characters (Plop and other Jim) were just the worst. Setting any episode, let alone the season, around Andy (and subplots regarding him) was a huge misfire.

Andy being a character on the level of Angela/Kevin/Ryan/Kelly, and being the rageaholic was great. There every episode, but not overused. But the moment he was given the most screen time was the moment the series took a dive.

I had hopes that when they did the “mock interviews” for Michael’s replacement, that Will Arnett would have taken over.

At this point, I’m thinking the best character to come in and manage for season 10 (assuming Carrell is gone) would actually be Will Forte

E87B1AA0-62D9-4042-BB80-4C209081E03E.jpeg

Deception 6-7/10

Wasn't sure how long I would last watching this, but the stories are interesting enough.  I missed the pilot and only recently was able to watch it On Demand.  Pilots are typically pretty lame, but they did a good job on theirs.  Had I seen the pilot when it launched, I would have been more excited about the series. 

Not sure it will have the legs Castle did, but it's a similar concept (civilian using his expertise to help law enforcement solve crimes).  I hear that it's by the guy who created Chuck, which was fun for a few seasons.  I'm expecting about the same here.

Just now, Down by the River said:

James Spader's reading of the line "Why is Jim treating the magician poorly?" gets burned into my head every 6 months. 

Such a great scene. Lol