The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Yeah, Prime is great. Lots of garbage (like Netflix), but considering it’s $70 for the year, and you get Amazon Prime free shipping and Amazon Music, it’s definitely worth it.

What is Amazon Music like? Now that I'm paying over $100/year for Spotify...

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

What is Amazon Music like? Now that I'm paying over $100/year for Spotify...

It’s alright. I don’t have Spotify, as I couldn’t convince the wife to add that on months ago. So I’m not sure what AP is like in comparison. However, I’m guessing Spotify has a lot more, at the moment.

But seeing as though Amazon is the biggest thing ever, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they managed in 5 years to be the thing to beat. With all that money, they can really dominate whatever they want. Eventually, that is.

But for $70 a year for their online, streaming, and music, I don’t see how one could go wrong. The streaming service itself has a lot on it that Netflix doesn’t, and their original content is really good, as well.

On 2018-08-26 at 8:36 PM, D-Money said:

Seconded. I have watched the whole series with my wife. Started out as just watching what she wanted to watch, but I quickly enjoyed it as well.

It sputters at points, but is generally strong all the way through. Alan Cumming's character, Eli Gold, is outstanding.

Second or third episode in with Eli Gold.

Terrific.

Ozarks - Season 2 (Below has: Some new Character comments but nothing revealing about the season itself.)

Spoiler

I thoroughly enjoyed season one. The new Cartel representative really doesn't instil the fear or concern I experienced with the previous Cartel rep. Overall it was ok but my expectations were considerably higher than what I got out of it. It wasn't bad but it didn't match the same quality as season 1 in my opinion. I found the plotline very predictable which was kind of disappointing after such a startling effect some of the events in the first season had on me.

I would give it a 4/10 for the season. Maybe binge watching the season over 2 days somehow negatively impacted my experience. It's hard to say. I felt Ruth's father would have been more of a badass based on his short scenes in season 1. Again it wasn't a bad season.. but it felt a little predictable and was a little underwhelming.

Was anyone else equally impacted by the season? 

Edited by Rush17

I see a Sons of Anarchy spinoff, the Mayans MC, premiers tonight.  I really enjoyed SoA up until season four before it got all ridiculous with RICO and the feds and what not.  Hope this show keeps the plot simple though I doubt I have FX to be able to watch it initially.

• 2 weeks later...

The 100 - 8/10

Binged it on netflix in a week. Interesting concept, except i felt like the same storylines were repeated season after season. Season 3 and season 4 dragged on, but season 5 picked up again. Next season might be the last - looking forward to that. 

On 9/1/2018 at 9:36 PM, Rush17 said:

Ozarks - Season 2 (Below has: Some new Character comments but nothing revealing about the season itself.)

Reveal hidden contents

I thoroughly enjoyed season one. The new Cartel representative really doesn't instil the fear or concern I experienced with the previous Cartel rep. Overall it was ok but my expectations were considerably higher than what I got out of it. It wasn't bad but it didn't match the same quality as season 1 in my opinion. I found the plotline very predictable which was kind of disappointing after such a startling effect some of the events in the first season had on me.

I would give it a 4/10 for the season. Maybe binge watching the season over 2 days somehow negatively impacted my experience. It's hard to say. I felt Ruth's father would have been more of a badass based on his short scenes in season 1. Again it wasn't a bad season.. but it felt a little predictable and was a little underwhelming.

Was anyone else equally impacted by the season? 

Im halfway through binge watching S2 and absolutely loving it

Maniac 

New Netflix show, created by one of the writers for The Leftovers (phenomenal show) and directed by Cary Fukunaga (directed and produced first season of True Detective.)

It has its ups and downs. Mostly unrealized potential. Good performances, especially by the always reliable Juston Theroux.

I would say that, if you haven’t seen The Leftovers, watch that instead. If you have and have high expectations, you’ll be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

The Haunting of Hill House

Based on the 1959 of the same name. 10 episode Netflix series, brought to you by the writer/director (Mike Flanagan) of Hush, Oculus, Gerald’s Game, and Ouija Origin of Evil. Flanagan is an excellent filmmaker for the horror genre, as he doesn’t rely (very much) on cheap jump scares. He’s far more interested in character development, and he’s done a terrific job with that here.

I’m 4 episodes in, but he’s done a fantastic job balancing the time spent on the 5 siblings when they were young and how the night in question has affected them as adults. It’s a slow burn. Certainly creepy moments, but not your typical horror movie. Very old school.

As a recommendation, if you aren’t familiar with Flanagan’s work, watch Hush. Aside from this, his best work to date. About a home invasion with a woman who’s deaf (played, as is the norm now, by his real life wife).

Just finished Season 2 of Ozark

Loved it. Had some really intense character moments in it. Story line might not have been quite as strong as Season 1. 

Still really enjoyable.

Need to find something else now. Billions has recently been recommended to me.

4 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Just finished Season 2 of Ozark

Loved it. Had some really intense character moments in it. Story line might not have been quite as strong as Season 1. 

Still really enjoyable.

Need to find something else now. Billions has recently been recommended to me.

Have you watched Fargo? It's fantastic.

25 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Oddly, no.

Loved the movie. Not sure why I haven't given it a go.

There are some similarities to the movie (some language and culture stuff), but it's totally different story-lines (which are all true stories). Each season has different characters and timeframes.

IMO, the show is even better than the movie. Billy Bob Thornton's character in season 1 is just amazing.