The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

Masters of Sex - Season 1

Very interesting series so far. In university I majored in Psychology, focusing primarily in Human Sexuality, as well as Behavioral Psych. Anyway, everything that the series focuses on I’m very familiar with on a scholastic level.

Recommend for those that are interested in a history lesson, with drama obviously added in.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:45 PM, brilac said:

I watched all of it.  I was super excited about this reboot, and was counting down the days! 

I guess I should cut the cast some slack, I forgot it's filmed in front of an audience.  I really wish they would show seasons 1-5ish(up until Roseanne dyed her hair black and got all that plastic surgery) on tv somewhere, I don't have any streaming services.

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I guess I should cut the cast some slack, I forgot it's filmed in front of an audience.  I really wish they would show seasons 1-5ish(up until Roseanne dyed her hair black and got all that plastic surgery) on tv somewhere, I don't have any streaming services.

Yeah I have the Laff channel that airs Roseanne from 6-8pm each day.  It's nice to watch it, and then on Tuesday's after watching it, turn to ABC, and watch the reboot at 8pm.  

Forgot the channel but I watched the first two episodes of Three's Company the other day.  I remember watching this show as a kid and not getting what it was about or all the jokes but I got to stay it was ahead of it's time (1978ish?)  And that original theme song...  one of the best.  See you all at the Regal Beagle

8/10

10 hours ago, brilac said:

Yeah I have the Laff channel that airs Roseanne from 6-8pm each day.  It's nice to watch it, and then on Tuesday's after watching it, turn to ABC, and watch the reboot at 8pm.  

Too bad I don't have that channel up here.  They did show the first two seasons on Prime a couple of years ago.  This is one show where I prefer the older episodes.

Retribution (AKA One of Us): 8/10

Mini-series on Netflix. The story was really great, but I think the way the story was told could have been better. Some cheap cliffhangers that thankfully don't really matter since you can watch the next episode seconds later. Good show if you like inter- and intra-family conflict. 

Masters of Sex - All 4 Seasons

Season 1 was very good, though very graphic.

Season 2 was incredible. Focusing more on the study of those who are suffering from sexual distinctions, rather than studying the “norm”, which was what the first season was.

Season 3 was where it lost a little steam and focus, but still an overwhelmingly positive watch.

Season 4 was disappointing. They knew it was getting cancelled and had to rush what they were doing to close it out with some sort of resolution. However, despite how rushed it was, particularly the last episode, they wrapped it up as well as they could have under the circumstances.

However, it’s a shame they couldn’t go on for at least another season or two. Unlike other series that go on for far too long, the studies of Masters and Johnson expand decades. Another season or two could have had them focusing on a lot of other areas they pioneered.

Again, not a series for the faint of heart.

• 3 weeks later...

The Leftovers

Finally finished watching the last 3 episodes (began the series back in October). Loved how it ended. So many ways Damon Lindelof could have screwed this up like he did with Lost, but he definitely learned from that disaster that in shows like this, not explaining things make the show better. 

Terrific, terrific show. One of my all time favourites.

Broadchurch, season 1 - 7.5/10

The first season was generally strong, and interesting. Some of the actors/characters fell flat, but generally the writing was top-notch, and David Tennant and Olivia Colman made strong leads.

Broadchurch, season 2 - 6/10

Season 2 was not nearly as good as the first. A lot of the subtlety went out the window, and they doubled-down on some of the weaker actors/characters from season 1. A lot of the drama seemed forced and contrived. I probably would have stopped watching had I not heard that season 3 was supposed to be better.

Broadchurch, season 3 - 9/10

They really nailed it here. Basically took everything great about season 1, and took it to a new level. The story was allowed to unfold naturally, and was primarily focused on the police investigation. Tennant and Colman were better than ever, and their chemistry shined. Many of the weaker characters were put in the background (or dropped altogether).

It's too bad the show is done now. Was really finding a nice groove there.

15 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Homeland, Season 7 - 8.5/10

This show always works for me. It doesn't try to be more than a straight up political thriller borrowing from current affairs. 

af6282af-0a40-4ce3-8ab6-c397da9540be-homeland_711_1689r.jpg.2b28caf81c0915ae3edc55cb8f94b4a7.jpg

I’d like to get back into it, but stopped watching right after season 3. Figured it would get worse when Brody was gone.

18 hours ago, Monty said:

I’d like to get back into it, but stopped watching right after season 3. Figured it would get worse when Brody was gone.

It's been so long since Brody I don't remember how I felt about it then, but post Brody the show been able to consistently deliver one time thrills (meaning you watch an episode once, it's good, but you have no desire to re-watch), for me anyways.

Edited by Hugor Hill

7 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

It's been so long since Brody I don't remember how I felt about it then, but post Brody the show been able to consistently deliver one time thrills (meaning you watch an episode once, it's good, but you have no desire to re-watch), for me anyways.

I guess my thought at the time was because the entire first 3 seasons were dedicated his story, which was very interesting, I couldn’t believe further episodes of the below would be fun, at all:

36B4462D-755A-47A6-8C65-20F1E12366DF.gif

Though I’ve heard I’m wrong. So I’d like to go back.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

I guess my thought at the time was because the entire first 3 seasons were dedicated his story, which was very interesting, I couldn’t believe further episodes of the below would be fun, at all:

36B4462D-755A-47A6-8C65-20F1E12366DF.gif

Though I’ve heard I’m wrong. So I’d like to go back.

You have to give her credit for that quivering chin. 

I still enjoy Homeland. Just watched the season finale and enjoyed this last season. I actually hadn't watche since about season 4, then recently decided to get back into it and was caught up again within a couple weeks. 

• Upvote 1