The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] CANUCKS VS WINGS | November 6th, 2017 | 7PM PST/10PM EST | SN650/SNP

CanucksFan95

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Can someone explain why Gaunce is even in the conversation to join the team? Someone mentioned "why try to fix what isn't broken?", and this applies here. It's not like Gaunce has Goldobin or Boeser skills, or Virtanen's speed and physicality. There seems to be too many players already trying to earn a spot, so I don't understand why Gaunce may join the team soon. The guy can't score in the NHL and for a big guy he's not very physical.   

Gaunce was one of our best shut down forwards last year and maybe our best penalty killer. He was very succesfull under Green in Utica so some of us would like to see what Green can coach out of him.

19 hours ago, Davathor said:

Nice GDT, I like how you snuck the meme Loui on

imageproxy.png

you could drive a truck up his right nostril, but make sure you know how to back that thing up 'cause you're sure not coming out the other one   :P

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Can someone explain why Gaunce is even in the conversation to join the team? Someone mentioned "why try to fix what isn't broken?", and this applies here. It's not like Gaunce has Goldobin or Boeser skills, or Virtanen's speed and physicality. There seems to be too many players already trying to earn a spot, so I don't understand why Gaunce may join the team soon. The guy can't score in the NHL and for a big guy he's not very physical.   

Not sure how many games you saw last season, but Gaunce was making things happen.  He has like 6+ shots that rang off the post last season, plus a few times he stole the puck with the goalie making a great save.... and he's constantly finishing his checks too.  

But hey.... why bother to actually focus on the eye test.... the stats line shows everything.  :rolleyes:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Dorsett

Vanek - Gagner - Virtanen

Sedin - Sedin -  Gaunce
( Burmistrov Eriksson )

Eriksson doesn't have the speed or the "grit and balls" to play the system we have now. 
Gaunce may not be an offensive guy but he has excellent possession stats and he's a big guy with wheels that can really forecheck - that helps the Sedins.
Gagner had some excellent chemistry playing with Virtanen in pre-season. Those two seemed to sense where the other was out on the ice so I want to see that explored.

Burmistrov comes in before Eriksson, but both of them can be extras. Maybe Eriksson will get so dismayed at this new development, he'll ask for a trade.. which would be awesome. Between him and the Sedins we have $25 Million CDN wrapped up in players with minimal roles - that is just filthy. 

8 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Not sure how many games you saw last season, but Gaunce was making things happen.  He has like 6+ shots that rang off the post last season, plus a few times he stole the puck with the goalie making a great save.... and he's constantly finishing his checks too.  

But hey.... why bother to actually focus on the eye test.... the stats line shows everything.  :rolleyes:

I'm a huge fan of Gaunce. I was so stoked when he wasn't picked up by Vegas. 
This kid could really flourish under the system we have in place now and i really wanna see what he can do under Greeners direction. 
He doesn't (or hasn't yet in the bigs) put up #'s so people kind of forget, he's 6'2" 217 lbs, and still only 23.
With that size and his speed he can really get i there and rattle/disrupt the opposition.. something Green seems to love his players doing. 

I hope he gets a chance to come in and when he does - shows what he can do because I still believe he can be a key part of this team, not just a "plug". 

7 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Dorsett

Vanek - Gagner - Virtanen

Sedin - Sedin -  Gaunce
( Burmistrov Eriksson )

Eriksson doesn't have the speed or the "grit and balls" to play the system we have now. 
Gaunce may not be an offensive guy but he has excellent possession stats and he's a big guy with wheels that can really forecheck - that helps the Sedins.
Gagner had some excellent chemistry playing with Virtanen in pre-season. Those two seemed to sense where the other was out on the ice so I want to see that explored.

Burmistrov comes in before Eriksson, but both of them can be extras. Maybe Eriksson will get so dismayed at this new development, he'll ask for a trade.. which would be awesome. Between him and the Sedins we have $25 Million CDN wrapped up in players with minimal roles - that is just filthy. 

granny with sedins, gaunce with sutter and dorsett 

dont u think sedins with gaunce would be too slow ?

1 minute ago, cookieeater55 said:

granny with sedins, gaunce with sutter and dorsett 

dont u think sedins with gaunce would be too slow ?

Gaunce is definitely not slow. He's got wheels. That helps the twins. And he's not a guy that anyone is expecting to score much. Just hold his own defensively. Odd to say now after all these years but the twins need a guy exactly like that on their line - just play keep away when they're out there and eat up a few minutes maybe chip in a few points.

And I want Granlund with players that have more offensive upside, because as good as he is defensively, this team still needs to score more goals, and he's one guy that can do that. 

We aren't counting on the twins to provide much in the way of offence now so I don't want a guy who's possibly a 20+ goal scorer in Granlund, out there playing ping-pong along the boards for under 10min a night  :ph34r:

Quite a few positive comments about Gaunce. I rarely miss Canucks games on TV, and what I've seen of Gaunce is: he's good defensively and has some size. He had some chances last year to score, but couldn't finish. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and hope that his game elevates playing for Green. I am hoping he makes an impact this year.  

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Soooo when Edler comes back, and apparently he's close, who gets scratched?

Pouliot has been rock solid. Hutton should be sat for a game or two

I'm guessing Pouliot, which I suppose I would be fine with but I like how much emotion the backend is showing and somehow I don't think Edler will contribute to that...

Yeah, Edler isn't one to go out of his way to emote.

How do you feel about your team's recent success, Alex?

alexander-edler.png

Some have suggested that your too old to be holding down a top four role in the NHL, and that you're really inconsistent. What do you say to those accusations?

alexander-edler-hockey-headshot-photo.jp

Go Canucks! I see a good 3-1 win. Sedin's will get a goal. 

An yet another Canucks game I can't watch in Southern Ontario. They sure do make it tough to get out of market Canadian team games. Uhg. Actually I should cancel my Sportsnet cable package now that every single Canucks/Oilers/Flames/Jets game is blacked out here. Rogers you suck.

30 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Soooo when Edler comes back, and apparently he's close, who gets scratched?

I'm guessing Pouliot, which I suppose I would be fine with but I like how much emotion the backend is showing and somehow I don't think Edler will contribute to that...

Hutton should sit 

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

alexander-edler.png

Some have suggested that your too old to be holding down a top four role in the NHL, and that you're really inconsistent. What do you say to those accusations?

I think Hutton has been having lots of ups and downs this season on a game to game basis. Sometimes he's been great, sometimes he's making questionable decisions and fumbling the puck. I don't believe the answer is to sit him though, he's been handling the toughest minutes so I think if Green just dials back some of the responsibility thrust upon him, he should be more consistent.

Pouliot to me has been solid, but he still also makes lots of questionable decisions with the puck sometimes and he plays a lot less minutes than Hutton so that's why he'd be my first choice to get benched until another Dman gets injured.

Hopefully Biega isn't the guy coming out. He's been an absolute beast.

I think Hutton has been having lots of ups and downs this season on a game to game basis. Sometimes he's been great, sometimes he's making questionable decisions and fumbling the puck. I don't believe the answer is to sit him though, he's been handling the toughest minutes so I think if Green just dials back some of the responsibility thrust upon him, he should be more consistent.

Pouliot to me has been solid, but he still also makes lots of questionable decisions with the puck sometimes and he plays a lot less minutes than Hutton so that's why he'd be my first choice to get benched until another Dman gets injured.

Hopefully Biega isn't the guy coming out. He's been an absolute beast.

Fair enough. I don't think Hutton should sit as punishment though. I think that sometimes it's valuable for young players to watch the game from afar to get some perspective. Worked for Virtanen.....

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

alexander-edler.png

hahaha
awesome

"So Alex. When you were cleared to play and Coach notified you he liked where the team was and that you'd have to work hard in practice and bide your time before coming back into the lineup, what was your thought process there?"

alex-edler-uncertain.jpg

Archived