The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

As @drummerboy already eluded to (and I already explained to you elsewhere), 'top D' make $7m+ in today's cap dollars, not $4-5m.

$4-5m is 2nd pair territory, right where Gudbranson, strangely enough, fits in. 

And I don't take 'offense' to your prediction, I think you simply lack an understanding of present day player valuations as they relate to the current cap, inflation etc. I also think you slightly undervalue what Gudbranson brings as an NHL player. So you can spare me your lecture on the salary cap, thanks. 

Gudbranson is a 3rd pairing D.

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Keep in mind our 'top d' are making 2,3,4 mill less than other teams top D.  

We don't have that superstar taking up 8 mill on the blue line, so we have room. 

There isn't a huge gap between our top 2 and the next 2.  

4.5-5 isn't a crazy number for a solid top 4 guy who brings what Guddy does.  

Agree with everything except the last statement.  Guddy, when on his game, brings physicality.  That's it.  Nothing more, nothing less. When he's not on his game, he brings nothing to the table that we couldn't get in any physical defenseman paid a third of the price.

I don't believe he is a top 4 guy... he's a complimentary player on any pairing.

I know we all had high hopes for him, but honestly I'd rather have Sbisa at 3.5m than Guddy at 5.

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

That's where Travis Green has him. Are you saying you know better?

*Baumgartner

And we don't actually have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd pair and all of our D have moved around pairings and partners with injuries, games etc. 

So again, nope.

8 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

They also "say" there isn't a first line.

There isn't.

Some nights Sutter's line plays more minutes than Horvat's. Does that make them the first line or more importantly in this discussion, individually, '1st line players'? There's an important distinction here.

On a team full of #2, #3, #4 and #5 D, do their minutes make MDZ an NHL #1D? Does it make Stecher an NHL #7D? Gallant played Gudbranson the most minutes in FLA during their playoffs a few years ago, does that make him a #1D? Nope, nope and nope.

Guys don't get paid based on their place on a team's depth chart or ice time. At least no solely. They get paid based on their comparables league wide. I'm not sure why people have so much trouble with this concept.

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There isn't.

Some nights Sutter's line plays more minutes than Horvat's. Does that make them the first line or more importantly in this discussion, individually, '1st line players'? There's an important distinction here.

On a team full of #2, #3, #4 and #5 D, do their minutes make MDZ an NHL #1D? Does it make Stecher an NHL #7D? Gallant played Gudbranson the most minutes in FLA during their playoffs a few years ago, does that make him a #1D? Nope, nope and nope.

Guys don't get paid based on their place on a team's depth chart. They get paid based on their comparables league wide. I'm not sure why people have so much trouble with this concept.

Guys definitely get paid baced on their place on a depth chart. That's a major factor in how they are valued.

To address your second point, yes MDZ is OUR #1D. On some other teams he would not be.

As for where the lines sit for TOI:

1 - Baer - Bo - Boes = ATOI of 16.75

2 - Gran - Sutter - Dors = ATOI of 16.23

3 - Sedin - Sedin - Erik = ATOI of 14.07

4 - Vanek - Burm - Gagn = ATOI of 13.00

image.png.6226800fbca1c92c3a2217bf9ec1a3c8.png

I'm over it. Feel how you want to feel, but here is the reality of it.

4 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Guys definitely get paid baced on their place on a depth chart. That's a major factor in how they are valued.

As for where the lines sit for TOI:

1 - Baer - Bo - Boes = ATOI of 16.75

2 - Gran - Sutter - Dors = ATOI of 16.23

3 - Sedin - Sedin - Erik = ATOI of 14.07

4 - Vanek - Burm - Gagn = ATOI of 13.00

It's a factor. It's not a sole indicator. And again, we're not presently built in as a 'traditional' team. We basically have two 2nd lines, two 3rd lines and three 2nd pairs (or thereabouts). 

ATOI also is a rather simplistic manner of looking at it/doesn't factor in game match ups/doesn't factor in injuries.

It also still ignores my point.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It's a factor. It's not a sole indicator. And again, we're not presently built in as a 'traditional' team. We basically have two 2nd lines, two 3rd lines and three 2nd pairs (or thereabouts). 

ATOI also is a rather simplistic manner of looking at it/doesn't factor in game match ups/doesn't factor in injuries.

It also still ignores my point.

What do you mean we have two 2nd lines and 3 2nd pairs? I thought we had none.

ATOI is the easiest way to see who gets to play the most, meaning who the coach wants on the ice longer, meaning who the coach thinks can help win the most, meaning the 1st line.

On 18/11/2017 at 1:34 PM, coastal.view said:

we need a pool of interested teams to which a trade for gud can be considered

i doubt he will be prepared to sign a new contract with the canucks for salary and term that makes sense for this team

if he fills a specific need / role on a playoff team that could enhance his trade value

so the canucks need to keep all their options open

that would be pure stupidity.  he is, easily, the Canucks best dman, and likely the next captain

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

...and now you're trolling.

Here is wikipedia's definition:

Types of line[edit]

• The first line is usually composed of the best offensive players on the team. Teams heavily rely on this line, which generates the bulk of the team's scoring. These players often see the highest number of minutes among forwards in a game and are usually part of the team's starting lineup.

PS I'm not trolling, you just refuse to accept truth. I've backed up my arguments in each post with hard facts, not soft snowflakes.

9 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Here is wikipedia's definition:

Types of line[edit]

• The first line is usually composed of the best offensive players on the team. Teams heavily rely on this line, which generates the bulk of the team's scoring. These players often see the highest number of minutes among forwards in a game and are usually part of the team's starting lineup.

PS I'm not trolling, you just refuse to accept truth. I've backed up my arguments in each post with hard facts, not soft snowflakes.

So according to your 'truth' and 'hard facts', Dorsett is now a top 6 forward. Cool ;)

I think we're done here...

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Well he plays on our second line doesn't he. He is also tied for second most goals.

Yup. Clearly a top 6 forward, you've got me convinced. He'll surely be making $5m+ on his next contract.

Am I doing it right now? :rolleyes:

Archived