The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

just saw on sportsnet a clip of kypros on tim and sid. he thinks tor is a defender or 2 away from be a real cup contender.  the hosts said what about Oliver ekman Larssen. kypros said they need a defender who plays good defense.  he said ek Larssen could work if they had the puck all night joking. but he said they need someone big, gritty, with a snarl on the back end. one that can play d.  sounds like guddy without saying it lol.  fans gonna be looming at guddy pretty quick LOL. 

Gudbranson is the stay at home, hard hitting, tough, mean defenseman who will defend his teammates with his fists.  The last one was Willy Mitchell. 

Notice the Lucics, Wayne Simmonds and Ferlands aren't in Markstrom's face too much when Gudranson is on the ice.

I don't think the Canucks will get rid of him and I believe he will sign here. 

11 hours ago, TheHitman said:

I'd hope Benning could swing Kapanen in a deal. Doubt it though. 

Not really interested in Kapanen. We have a glut of potential top 6 winger prospects, especially on the right side. Not saying he's a bad player or that he wouldn't be a welcome addition to our pool, but it doesn't make sense to me to trade away a solid asset for a semi-redundant piece. Would much rather target a Dman that can potentially put up some points (not that I'm that interested in trading Guddy anyways).

58 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

would u guys trade guddy + granlund for marner + mid grade prospect?  (not named liljegren - i know hes a high end prospect to many of you)

TO can keep the extra prospect and I'd even throw in a mid round pick. Still don't think TO would though.

For marner, yup see ya Guddy.... 

Big fan of guds, but hes not living up to my over hyped expectations, guess thats my fault.

Although I think Guddy will be better in a playoff environment, Marner and Petterson and Boeser on pp... Good luck.

Guds had another less than exciting night, but got the w.

7 road wins holy cow.

If Guddy went, whos the better replacement....

Could we pry nurse or larsson outta edm somehow? 

1 hour ago, TheRocket18 said:

For marner, yup see ya Guddy.... 

Big fan of guds, but hes not living up to my over hyped expectations, guess thats my fault.

Although I think Guddy will be better in a playoff environment, Marner and Petterson and Boeser on pp... Good luck.

Guds had another less than exciting night, but got the w.

7 road wins holy cow.

If Guddy went, whos the better replacement....

Could we pry nurse or larsson outta edm somehow? 

Yeah I think Guddy's value would come in the post season. But is his defensive lapses enough to stomach?  If he stays as a 4 or 5 d man at a cap hit around 4.5 mill i don't know if we would all be upset.  If we were a periential playoff team.  The issue is we are a bubble team.  perhaps guddy is a good asset to have and maybe we just need an offensive d man more then we realize. id hate to lose guddy then in 2 seasons getting abused by teams in our divison.  The season is long and perhaps I should temper my expectations.  I would be happy to keep him if he at least had a word and shoved some of our enemies who take liberities on our guys. I'm not saying throw down each game but stand up and make a statement.  A personal notice to said player not to do that crap.  Perhaps his value will come as he develops that "presence".  He needs to be more then a big guy who can hurt people.  He needs the presence to be a big guy who will hurt people if they don't stop messing with our guys.  He needs to be more then his size and persona.  he needs to be a big snarly d man who gives players and peoples notice.  You mess with my guys... you got me to deal me next time.  back off or face the consequences.  He seems to nice of a guy on the ice.  Always wants to focus on his defensive game.  Which is great... but we need him to "become a whillie vet like willie mitchell but with more punching power.  someone who can strike fear into a player by starring into their eyes. right now.. hes just known as a badass for holding his own vs martin and others.  he needs to "be the bad man". the big bad man. i want to keep him if he can at least do that.  idc if hes on our 3rd pairing or is our 4th d man.  but he needs to be THAT GUY! not mr nice guy who fights every 15-20 games.

59 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

No, Canucks would be better off keeping Guddy. They should be looking at trading Edler instead.

I could see Montreal and the St. Louis Blues interested in Edler's services.  

He would fit in nicely with that d core.

9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

All this article says is that he didn't turn down a 4 year deal worth $4.5M annually. That's very specific information and doesn't touch on what Gudbranson's contract demands were/weren't. 

Did I say it did anything else?

There was a false rumour stated that he turned down a $4.5m deal. Captain back there was repeating the false rumour. I told him it was false. He asked for proof. I posted proof. 

Another mystery solved Scoob. 

Just going to leave this here:

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So Erik Gudbranson led all Canucks skaters in on-ice CF, CF% Rel, FF, FF% Rel, SF, SF% Rel, SCF, SCF% Rel, HDCF, and HDCF% Rel. 

Basically, he just killed it on the underlying "possession" metrics.

And he also had very solid numbers last game.

His stats are still way underwater for the season, but definitely nice to see this recent trend, and figured it deserves some acknowledgement.

And a little bit of an extra observation:

Hide contents

For some strange reason, Gudbranson's name hasn't been mentioned in JD Burke's Canucks Army post game reports since the Vegas loss.

Hmm... wonder why? Seems like Guddy has been a regular feature in those reports whenever he's gotten killed on his events differentials. 

I'm not saying Gudbranson doesn't have his warts (especially on the stats side). But I just feel like anyone who makes a habit of criticizing a player on his stats and always seems to cite the data when Guddy has a statistically bad game should also make a point to acknowledge the good results.

Otherwise, the criticism tends to read like cherry picking numbers to fit a narrative.

And that type of stuff creates an even wider divide between pro and anti analytics camps of this fanbase.

There's a legitimate discussion to be had within this fanbase (and on both sides of the fancy stats divide) regarding Gudbranson. But for there to be any chance of actually having it, both sides really need to try to set their biases aside.

Unless JD really likes echo chambers? If that's the case, I guess he should keep doing what he's doing.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Tampa too. 

Edler with 50% retained +/- for Cal Foote please. 

Now THAT is a deal that would be awesome. Just three minor drawbacks. 1) Edler won't move. 2) I doubt Yzerman want's to go all in for a cup run. 3) I doubt Yzerman likes Edler enough to trade a young, cheap right handed dman for an unreliable left handed D. 

Maybe if Tampa had an injury to the back end? 

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Now THAT is a deal that would be awesome. Just three minor drawbacks. 1) Edler won't move. 2) I doubt Yzerman want's to go all in for a cup run. 3) I doubt Yzerman likes Edler enough to trade a young, cheap right handed dman for an unreliable left handed D. 

Maybe if Tampa had an injury to the back end? 

What if we add a 3rd or 4th to sweeten the pot?

Archived