The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Botchford wrote about what happens when Guddy comes back, in today's paper. Who should sit. His opinion on Hutton is this:

"Some will say Ben Hutton, but he's 24 years old. Sure, he hasn't scored yet but generally he's had a positive impact when he's been in the lineup..."

Wow, that was brilliant Botch. What does being 24 have to do with it? 

Botchford makes zero sense, yet still he gets the clicks. Symptomatic of the world at large these days.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It will be telling to see where Gudbranson sees his value versus what the market will dictate.

Yep Jan 1 we will see. Jb will have just under 2 months to make that decision. He also has the unlikely change of getting injuried for the rest of the season and having no value so it’s in jb best interest in making that decision as soon as he can. Preferably he’s either signed or moved before end of Jan. 

I can't see Benning let that happen, not at this point in his tenure as GM.

I think Benning is pretty astute when it comes to his job these days.

I agree and said as much. But you never no what direction the owners are pushing. Short term goal vs long term. 

He's probably already had talks with Linden about Gudbranson. I think the effort will be there and a fair offer will be presented.

Yep the ground work should be laid out. Which means there shouldn’t be any excuse we end up with nothing at summer time. 

Why else would we be on these boards?

Some people think it’s to post pictures of Zooey. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep Jan 1 we will see. Jb will have just under 2 months to make that decision. He also has the unlikely change of getting injuried for the rest of the season and having no value so it’s in jb best interest in making that decision as soon as he can. Preferably he’s either signed or moved before end of Jan. 

JB is a fan of physical hockey, so I'm going to assume that Gudbranson is on his radar of players to lock up. How Erik feels remains to be seen.

I agree and said as much. But you never no what direction the owners are pushing. Short term goal vs long term. 

I think Benning has carte blanche.

Yep the ground work should be laid out. Which means there shouldn’t be any excuse we end up with nothing at summer time

Which I highly, highly doubt is happening.

Some people think it’s to post pictures of Zooey. 

That's a pretty nice picture. Her shirt is just the right size.

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

What are you babbling about?

Why am I not surprised that you're a Botchford fan club guy?

Some Botchford followers think Gudbranson should sit?  Well, that solves that.  What better place to find hockey genius than in the comments at the bottom of a B-otch tweet?  Have fun there.

That's quite the assumption. I also follow:

Donald Trump

War Machine

God

Bill Nye Tho

Controversy is polarizing. Agree or disagree, it still captures your attention. You of all people should know this. You disagree with everything I say and yet you still keep replying. Kind of like I'm Botchford and you're the so called "hockey genius". Funny how double standards work, hey?

JB is a fan of physical hockey, so I'm going to assume that Gudbranson is on his radar of players to lock up. How Erik feels remains to be seen.

Yep he is. But he also weary of cap management. I’m sure he’s got a ceiling on what he’s willing to pay to keep that type of player. My ceiling would be 4.5 at 4 years. More cap would mean less term.  Less cap more term. 

I think Benning has carte blanche.

Which I highly, highly doubt is happening.

Again we agree but if it doesn’t we can call that a fail. 

That's a pretty nice picture. Her shirt is just the right size.

Meh. I’m not really a fan of her’s. 

does anyone else see anything wrong with this chunk from sportsnet

The Sedins aren’t going anywhere, but the Canucks do have valuable bodies to move if they wish to take the long (i.e., smart) view in the face of their impressive start to the season. Classic gun-for-hire Thomas Vanek is undervalued at $2 million, having already delivered 18 points through 28 games, and a decision must eventually be made on impending RFA Erik Gudbranson. Other teams will have interest in the tough, stay-at-home D-man.

it may be underlined lol.  did sportsnet just say guddy is a pending rfa?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-power-rankings-realistic-trade-bait-edition/

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Botchford wrote about what happens when Guddy comes back, in today's paper. Who should sit. His opinion on Hutton is this:

"Some will say Ben Hutton, but he's 24 years old. Sure, he hasn't scored yet but generally he's had a positive impact when he's been in the lineup..."

Wow, that was brilliant Botch. What does being 24 have to do with it? 

If I have to spell it out for you...

Gudbranson is 15 months older and has played almost 200 more NHL games than Hutton. After 7 NHL seasons, Gudbranson is pretty close to his ceiling, if he's not already there. So of the 2, Hutton has more room to grow. If both defensemen provide roughly the same value (albeit with 2 different skill sets), an argument can be made that you should be playing the player that has more room to grow/improve, which is what Botch is getting at. You could however also argue that Gudbranson's skill set is more important to our defense, given how the rest of our defenders play a style more similar to Hutton's. There's always 2 sides to the coin. You don't have to sh** on someone's opinion just because it's different than yours.

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The Sedins aren’t going anywhere, but the Canucks do have valuable bodies to move if they wish to take the long (i.e., smart) view in the face of their impressive start to the season. Classic gun-for-hire Thomas Vanek is undervalued at $2 million, having already delivered 18 points through 28 games, and a decision must eventually be made on impending RFA Erik Gudbranson. Other teams will have interest in the tough, stay-at-home D-man.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-power-rankings-realistic-trade-bait-edition/

I've seen people get that wrong before. I think they just see his age and assume he's a RFA. In their defense, you don't see guys his age with 7 NHL seasons under his belt too often. Still, you work for one of the major sports outlets in the world, he may not play for Toronto but it's common knowledge that Guddy is going to be a UFA.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep he is. But he also weary of cap management. I’m sure he’s got a ceiling on what he’s willing to pay to keep that type of player. My ceiling would be 4.5 at 4 years. More cap would mean less term.  Less cap more term. 

As per usual. I hope Benning doesn't get too weary though.

Again we agree but if it doesn’t we can call that a fail. 

You can call it a fail. I'll call it a very unfortunate incident.

Meh. I’m not really a fan of her’s. 

I'm not really a fan of any woman, outside of my wife really, but that picture of Zooey's a shade of alright.

26 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I don't think Sportsnet is too concerned with the facts.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Totally. It also helps that all of our defensemen are currently healthy. There really isn't any reason to drag this out to the TDL. Find out what it's going to take to get him re-signed and if it's too much, move on.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is my biggest fear. We can't just let Guddy and Vanek walk for nothing just because we're competing for a playoff spot. There is absolutely no chance that this team goes deep in the playoffs. We need to be planning for the future, with or without Gudbranson.

20 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

If I have to spell it out for you...

Gudbranson is 15 months older and has played almost 200 more NHL games than Hutton. After 7 NHL seasons, Gudbranson is pretty close to his ceiling, if he's not already there. So of the 2, Hutton has more room to grow. If both defensemen provide roughly the same value (albeit with 2 different skill sets), an argument can be made that you should be playing the player that has more room to grow/improve, which is what Botch is getting at. You could however also argue that Gudbranson's skill set is more important to our defense, given how the rest of our defenders play a style more similar to Hutton's. There's always 2 sides to the coin. You don't have to sh** on someone's opinion just because it's different than yours.

Botchford doesn't "get" anything.  His job is to agitate the fanbase, and along with his buddy "JPat" troll the coach and players with their incessant ignorant questions.

34 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Totally. It also helps that all of our defensemen are currently healthy. There really isn't any reason to drag this out to the TDL. Find out what it's going to take to get him re-signed and if it's too much, move on.

Exactly. 100% agree on this. JB should already have a pretty good idea of what it will take to get a reasonable deal done. He just finished a contract extension with him 6 months ago so he should know the range guddys camp is looking around. And if he thinks it’s unreasonable and not likely to come down then he should have already been doing the ground work of a trade to maximize value. I’d assume we’d have 3 or 4 teams of interest already in place with deals basically written in pencil.  Jan 1st comes and we should really have much delay in making something happen. 

This is my biggest fear. We can't just let Guddy and Vanek walk for nothing just because we're competing for a playoff spot. There is absolutely no chance that this team goes deep in the playoffs. We need to be planning for the future, with or without Gudbranson.

Yep that’s a fear mine too and why id label it under a big fail.  

38 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

K.

Nobody's "letting Guddy walk" and Vanek would yield a 3rd or maybe a 2nd.

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As per usual. I hope Benning doesn't get too weary though.

What limit would you put on signing him. A what point does guddys contract value exceed team value (would you be ok with 5 mil for 8 years?) and/or become greater than the value we get back for him in a trade. 

You can call it a fail. I'll call it a very unfortunate incident.

What would you call a fail?  Can you give an example? 

I'm not really a fan of any woman, outside of my wife really, 

Same here. 

18 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What limit would you put on signing him. A what point does guddys contract value exceed team value (would you be ok with 5 mil for 8 years?) and/or become greater than the value we get back for him in a trade. 

Based on what he brings to the team, and his want to sign in Vancouver, I'd be willing to go with $4.5M over 5 years, or $5M over 4 years. He'd have to bring it in spades once back from injury.

Anything more, and Gudbranson would have to start putting up consistent points to justify more.

What would you call a fail?  Can you give an example? 

giphy.gif

Same here. 

I'm a lucky man.

Archived