The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

40 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

with Tanev out again...

it's "now-time" to re-sign Gudbranson to something comfortable for both player and management and get the monkey off the back.

Trading Tanev at the TDL will bring a future asset, and or, allow prospects to show as we end the season.

Create the space for the likes of Joulevi, Tryamkin, and Mceceny to play and they will be here.

We also lose Edler end of next season, which may be a blessing itself,  as DDoughtey and EKarlsson become the legit #1 D men available. (EK is on MTC 10 teams this season and next at 6.5m per)< interesting eh?

With the Skill level rising on the Canucks, a solid all round D man like Gudbranson is needed, especially in the West.

ps. Tryamkin had a goal and an assist in a 5-2 loss to Traktor today.

+0-    30 shifts.     21:25 TOI

Gudbranson has to want to re-sign, as well. 

One aspect of the conversation that's sometimes missed is that he's going to be an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career. The clear lure of going to free agency in July and somewhat setting your price may be too strong a draw for him to pass up. 

Personally, I still hope that something can be worked out, and that Gudbranson is a Canuck for a few seasons. 

Apparently the entire Canucks scouting staff was at the game last night. Coincidence because the World Juniors just ended in Buffalo? Potentially, but then interestingly Travis Dermott gets called up with no real 'need' by toronto?

Dermott and a 2nd for Gudbranson? I could see it. Dermott is an excellent skater, mobile, great first pass, good size, and has played well in the AHL in an offensive role - Toronto wont give Liljegren (sadly) IMHO for a rental who they may or may not resign but, Guddy is exactly what they need.  I would love to see Liljegren come back though.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering if the longer JB waits, the less the return?  

There’s still tons of time. Ideally it’d be nice if it happened sooner but as you creep closer to the trade deadline more teams will start looking. Just don’t let the Hamhuis situation happen all over again. Don’t wait until the last minute and then a hiccup on the trade has you holding onto an asset you should’ve moved.

9 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Apparently the entire Canucks scouting staff was at the game last night. Coincidence because the World Juniors just ended in Buffalo? Potentially, but then interestingly Travis Dermott gets called up with no real 'need' by toronto?

Dermott and a 2nd for Gudbranson? I could see it. Dermott is an excellent skater, mobile, great first pass, good size, and has played well in the AHL in an offensive role - Toronto wont give Liljegren (sadly) IMHO for a rental who they may or may not resign but, Guddy is exactly what they need.  I would love to see Liljegren come back though.

Dermott a pick does sound enticing. he has some stocky strength too as we saw him throw a canuck down on the ice in a board battle.  i think we could squeeze toronto for 1 more piece whether that be a roster player or latter pick in the 4-7 range at minimum.  maybe he's worth even a tad more. I'd consider that an okay transaction though.  i dont think were going to regain what we lost in a 1st rounder and a high 2nd.  im happy with a d prospect with upside and a 2nd.  anything less would upset me.

12 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

good to know. where did u hear about the scouts? think trev said they got pro meetings coming up in toronto.

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

There’s still tons of time. Ideally it’d be nice if it happened sooner but as you creep closer to the trade deadline more teams will start looking. Just don’t let the Hamhuis situation happen all over again. Don’t wait until the last minute and then a hiccup on the trade has you holding onto an asset you should’ve moved.

Yes, you have to play it smart, upside is Guddy should have ALOT more value than Hamhuis (26, Big, Physical, Leader, has a reputation around the league probably higher than he's shown here vs Hammer who was /is at the tail end). If played right we could see a Liljgren come back but that comes down to how JB can play teams off against each other, he has to start a bidding war and if someone offers a player like that, he has to trade vs try for more.

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hamhuis had:

1) a broken face, very extensive surgery - and only got healthy not long before the trade deadline.  For quite some time it was uncertain whether he'd return to the lineup by the deadline.

2) a pregnant wife and a deeply rooted family in his commnunity

3) a limiting clause and the ability to narrow options to a few acceptable destinations - and even then, his willingness or desire to be rented isn't known.

Not really a similar situation at all.

15 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Keep Gudbranson and let Tanev go to Toronto for Dermott and a 2nd... Tanev IS signed already.

2 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Yes, you have to play it smart, upside is Guddy should have ALOT more value than Hamhuis (26, Big, Physical, Leader, has a reputation around the league probably higher than he's shown here vs Hammer who was /is at the tail end). If played right we could see a Liljgren come back but that comes down to how JB can play teams off against each other, he has to start a bidding war and if someone offers a player like that, he has to trade vs try for more.

teams competing with the Leafs in the Eastern conference have every interest in driving the price up.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Keep Gudbranson and let Tanev go to Toronto for Dermott and a 2nd... Tanev IS signed already.

Dermott showed well in his nhl debut, too bad he is yet another lefty but I would consider him in a gudbranson trade. 

Trading Tanev because he is signed should garner a better return, if that is all he can return than better to keep the injury riddle tanev till his contract year

Just now, oldnews said:

teams competing with the Leafs in the Eastern conference have every interest in driving the price up.

very true - let's hope JB does it - there will be alot of interest for Guddy at the deadline - he's the kind of guy you need in the playoffs...I'd love to see him here long term but I just dont get the feeling he's going to re-sign here.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hamhuis had:

1) a broken face, very extensive surgery - and only got healthy not long before the trade deadline.  For quite some time it was uncertain whether he'd return to the lineup by the deadline.

2) a pregnant wife and a deeply rooted family in his commnunity

3) a limiting clause and the ability to narrow options to a few acceptable destinations - and even then, his willingness or desire to be rented isn't known.

Not really a similar situation at all.

I remember the situation. It just felt like a last minute decision when management should have been trying to move Hamhuis a month or so before the deadline (get the ball rolling). We were free falling and everybody knew where in the standings we were headed. They should have been putting out feelers long before the deadline and even before the injury. It was almost like they just decided that day to trade him and ran out of time. That’s the only way in which I’m comparing the two start early on negotiations and don’t run out of time!

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

I remember the situation. It just felt like a last minute decision when management should have been trying to move Hamhuis a month or so before the deadline (get the ball rolling). We were free falling and everybody knew where in the standings we were headed. They should have been putting out feelers long before the deadline and even before the injury. It was almost like they just decided that day to trade him and ran out of time.

Well alot of that was on Hammer because they left it to him to decide as he had a NTC - they were being respectful of it...I think they have learned they have to be 1) more conservative with NTC's 2) Have to look the future now and tell players, (as they did with Burr and Hansen) we need to move on

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

Dermott showed well in his nhl debut, too bad he is yet another lefty but I would consider him in a gudbranson trade. 

Trading Tanev because he is signed should garner a better return, if that is all he can return than better to keep the injury riddle tanev till his contract year

Personally I just see a more positive move for the nucks would be to move Tanev..  keep a strong all round player in EG that allows our skill set to upgrade, and skilled prospects to roll in.    Besides, when Edlers contract expires,  Karlsson and Doughtey become UFA.   Would be nice to have a legit #1 Dman

Personally I just see a more positive move for the nucks would be to move Tanev..  keep a strong all round player in EG that allows our skill set to upgrade, and skilled prospects to roll in.    Besides, when Edlers contract expires,  Karlsson and Doughtey become UFA.   Would be nice to have a legit #1 Dman

EG isn’t a strong all round player though...

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Edler expires next year I think, and Doughty and Karlsson expire this offseason....and I don't think either would consider vancouver. My guess is Karlsson is going wherever he can win AND make the most money, which will be any team of his choosing who has the room (and any will make room). I could see Doughty staying, going to Toronto (home), or even somewhere like Pittsburgh- he'll go where he has a chance to win and have fun playing (since he's got 2 cups) and will get paid regardless as well. Nucks just aren't at the level where either of those two players will choose imho.

If I had to choose the order of D I would want moved it would be:

#1- Edler, been years since all the he wont waive bull crap, but he have lots of lefties and Juolevi who is promising, allows Hutton to play regularly

#2- Tanev, Best Defensive D we have, but also will garner the best return. Moving him would hurt and I would only do it if we have re signed #44

#3- If EG wants to test FA or wants 6-8yr deal of 4.5m or more per then we should move him at deadline instead of losing him for nothing, He may not be the ideal D we want in our top 4 but he has the frame and can play the style of game we do need. 

#4- Hutton, if a trade came available to trade him for a rhd, or C/LW who is struggling or on a deep team and stuck in the A or Europe then sure move him

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I don't need a line to their mindset to know that they will not trade their 1st this year for Gudbranson. I'm not suggesting they quit, but realistically they need a good run in less than 2 months (relying on Reimer for who knows how much longer) and let's not forget who is between them chasing for the same spot in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and even NYI who are also desperate to make the playoffs. Giving up 1sts and/or a decent prospect (on top of a NHL player) for a pending UFA doesn't seem very logical (I guess only to a quitter) at this point.

I agree. I really doubt anyone trades a first for Guds. 

Archived