The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trudeau more unpopular than popular for the first time since election: survey

tbone909

41 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I don't give two $&!#s where they are from. They can be the whitest honkies from Scotland for all I care. But this is on top of the couple hundred thousand that is country already struggles to house every single year, not to mention the few million millennials in particular that already live here and are in the market as well. And on top of all that, it is practically legal for foreign criminals to launder money in this country and eat up the real estate market too. We saw that again today with those stayed charges for "unspecified reasons" in BC's biggest money laundering case. The prosecutorial office probably received a very well padded envelope. Even though you may love to play the race card every single time this discussion comes up, that's literally not what this is about.

Isn't it for the majority though?  The vast bulk of them have bigger issues with country of origin than they do the reason why

As for people struggling to find housing.  Checking outside of major cities, I find housing to be relatively inexpensive.  Housing is only expensive if you refuse to look at options.  Nobody NEEDS to live in Toronot, Ottawa, vancouver, Montreal.   But they refuse to move to smaller areas.  Housing is only an issue if you

A:  Refuse to save

B:  Refuse to move

C:  Refuse to change your spending habits.

Any 2 of those changes will see your housing costs lower by comparison.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Isn't it for the majority though?  The vast bulk of them have bigger issues with country of origin than they do the reason why

As for people struggling to find housing.  Checking outside of major cities, I find housing to be relatively inexpensive.  Housing is only expensive if you refuse to look at options.  Nobody NEEDS to live in Toronot, Ottawa, vancouver, Montreal.   But they refuse to move to smaller areas.  Housing is only an issue if you

I think you're on to something with the refusal to move around when starting out. My parents moved cities more than once, I bounced around the country for a while, people do it. If you are coming at housing with the idea that you deserve to be in one spot only then yeah its gonna be tough sledding. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was going to chime in with much the same.....housing is only a "struggle" if you insist on living in a major urban center.

I bought my house a little over a decade ago, for just over 100k. It has 4 bedrooms 2 baths, a laundry room and a rec room and it sits on a large lot. After several renos over the years, we're appraised at around 300k.

I think that this is affordable for most people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I was going to chime in with much the same.....housing is only a "struggle" if you insist on living in a major urban center.

I bought my house a little over a decade ago, for just over 100k. It has 4 bedrooms 2 baths, a laundry room and a rec room and it sits on a large lot. After several renos over the years, we're appraised at around 300k.

Tioronto is unaffordable.  Brampton isnt

Calgary is unaffordable.  Airdrie isn't.

Winnipeg is unaffordable.  Brandon isnt

Kelowna is unaffordable.  Joe Rich isn't

The entire east coast is ridiculously affordable and if you want to start a business, are in trades or can work digitally there's literally no onus on living in the west.

I see people complain about housing.  But also drink $6 coffees every day, shop for new wardrobes twice a year and still manage to go to Mexico once or twice while renting and making less than $20 an hour

Housing is over priced. NOBODY will argue that, but our parents for those of us over 30 lived in 1200 sq ft or less and raised multiple kids, they moved where the work was.  Saved, if they needed something layaway.  Credit card?  What are those?

It is, and was always about what you are willing to give up to succeed. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Tioronto is unaffordable.  Brampton isnt

Calgary is unaffordable.  Airdrie isn't.

Winnipeg is unaffordable.  Brandon isnt

Kelowna is unaffordable.  Joe Rich isn't

The entire east coast is ridiculously affordable and if you want to start a business, are in trades or can work digitally there's literally no onus on living in the west.

I see people complain about housing.  But also drink $6 coffees every day, shop for new wardrobes twice a year and still manage to go to Mexico once or twice while renting and making less than $20 an hour

Housing is over priced. NOBODY will argue that, but our parents for those of us over 30 lived in 1200 sq ft or less and raised multiple kids, they moved where the work was.  Saved, if they needed something layaway.  Credit card?  What are those?

It is, and was always about what you are willing to give up to succeed. 

Airdrie and Calgary are very comparable. Lol Joe Rich haha nothing there.

But I agree with your point but some of your examples are bad.

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Airdrie and Calgary are very comparable. Lol Joe Rich haha nothing there.

But I agree with your point but some of your examples are bad.

Joe rich is unique in that it's a lot of farmland that is not in the ALR.  The developers I know are licking their chops at the "next Squamish" which is what they're labelling the Joe Rich area because it's on the way to big white, has a tone of available land that is still dirt cheap/

Airdrie is where we're moving next summer and it's very comparable to calgary, but the houses we've put offers on are not only newer, larger but also more affordable than anything here in penticton.  Literally no reason for that, like at all.  15 minutes from downtown depending on traffic and it's more affordable than frigging Penticton?

Essentially, 30 minutes to an hour drive away from where people WANT to be there are options, but peoples unwillingness to commute, to move, to simply save or spend responsibly means housing is unaffordable in their chosen area.  In places like Van and Toronto it is unaffordable period.

But people have options if they want.  They just dont want to.  Took me 12 years to convince my wife to move out of Penticton.  Now she's excited to get out of here

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Joe rich is unique in that it's a lot of farmland that is not in the ALR.  The developers I know are licking their chops at the "next Squamish" which is what they're labelling the Joe Rich area because it's on the way to big white, has a tone of available land that is still dirt cheap/

Airdrie is where we're moving next summer and it's very comparable to calgary, but the houses we've put offers on are not only newer, larger but also more affordable than anything here in penticton.  Literally no reason for that, like at all.  15 minutes from downtown depending on traffic and it's more affordable than frigging Penticton?

Essentially, 30 minutes to an hour drive away from where people WANT to be there are options, but peoples unwillingness to commute, to move, to simply save or spend responsibly means housing is unaffordable in their chosen area.  In places like Van and Toronto it is unaffordable period.

But people have options if they want.  They just dont want to.  Took me 12 years to convince my wife to move out of Penticton.  Now she's excited to get out of here

Airdrie is a great place, clean, very little crime and lots of new homes. You won't be down town Calgary in 15 minutes though. But you don't need to be as you're 5 to minutes from the best mall oit here, Cross Iron Mills. 

You won't regret your decision at all, you can get a 5 year old home with a garage for 360 or so. 

And Glenifer lake is only 1 hour north. Let me know when you get out here.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I poke fun at Cowtown, but it’s actually beautiful.  I love down by Nanton.  There is something (hard to explain) about the openness of the country there.  Spent a lot of time there back in the 80’s.  I still miss making hay, and feeding the cattle.  It’s a good move Hippy.  

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Airdrie is a great place, clean, very little crime and lots of new homes. You won't be down town Calgary in 15 minutes though. But you don't need to be as you're 5 to minutes from the best mall oit here, Cross Iron Mills. 

You won't regret your decision at all, you can get a 5 year old home with a garage for 360 or so. 

And Glenifer lake is only 1 hour north. Let me know when you get out here.

We're looking at a few places.  everything about the area works, cost, location and families.  PLus new schools etc.  Again, people are literally only hampered by their unwillingness to change things.  

We don't want to struggle anymore.  $104,000 household income last year with a total family debt load of $8200 total and we're renting in penticton.    We've a large downpayment but why blow it on a 25-30 year old house that needs immediate work and upgrades to plumbing and electrical.

Wife will hate Alberta winters, but will enjoy cheap flights to mexico and hawaii 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

We're looking at a few places.  everything about the area works, cost, location and families.  PLus new schools etc.  Again, people are literally only hampered by their unwillingness to change things.  

We don't want to struggle anymore.  $104,000 household income last year with a total family debt load of $8200 total and we're renting in penticton.    We've a large downpayment but why blow it on a 25-30 year old house that needs immediate work and upgrades to plumbing and electrical.

Wife will hate Alberta winters, but will enjoy cheap flights to mexico and hawaii 

If you become a F'Lames fan you will destroy my faith in humanity.

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Many people in the lower mainland are taking care of sick ailing parents.... or want to be near their children / grand kids and play an active frequent  role in their lives.

In fact , moving out of province is really not an option for many of us.....

I moved to Edmonton in my 20's and i was pretty happy there.... i moved back to BC on a whim....   The time for me to move there was when i was younger...

Tougher now as i have even more roots planted here in the lower mainland..

• Upvote 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Many people in the lower mainland are taking care of sick ailing parents.... or want to be near their children / grand kids and play an active frequent  role in their lives.

In fact , moving out of province is really not an option for many of us.....

I moved to Edmonton in my 20's and i was pretty happy there.... i moved back to BC on a whim....   The time for me to move there was when i was younger...

Tougher now as i have even more roots planted here in the lower mainland..

Life is all about choices. There are always going to be reasons that people want to live in a certain area, but that's their choice. Nothing is forcing them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Life is all about choices. There are always going to be reasons that people want to live in a certain area, but that's their choice. Nothing is forcing them.

Agreed.    It depends on your situation.    If you are an only child... then of course you may have few options to relocate if your aging parents need your daily support.......

It is complicated and your right... it is about choices....   Some people just may have more options / choices than others....