The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van - Arizona

Wiznac

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He was indeed.   Not sure I get the point.   Baer is progressing nicely from that class - Yak, not so much.

I'm pointing out draft position at this point is irrelevant you of all people should know that. Yet you keep using draft position in your argument.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm pointing out draft position at this point is irrelevant you of all people should know that. Yet you keep using draft position in your argument.

I don't disagree with you, just don't know why some (you?  not sure) keep denigrating the good younger players the Canucks DO have.   They are short a number of key players but Baer could be a key piece of any team in the NHL and people seem to forget his pedigree so his success isn't coming out of "nowhere".

34 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This site so drastically underrates OJ.   His body catches up to his brain (starting to see evidence of that in his first pro year here and now) and the sky is the limit.

Baer is also underappreciated.   He was a top half first round pick.  He destroyed the WHL in his last year in junior with ridiculous scoring rate.   He has a tough start to his pro career and somehow that makes him a lesser player?   He is proving how good he is and continues to improve and work towards his natural talent ceiling which is very high.    

I'm with you on OJ. 

I hope you're right on Baer. Last year I would have thought it would be Granlund leading the two in scoring. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm with you on OJ. 

I hope you're right on Baer. Last year I would have thought it would be Granlund leading the two in scoring. 

Granlund and Baer are quite different.   Granlund is still possibly an offensive talent but his DNA seems to be more of a defensive player.   Baer seems to be very responsible defensively but he thinks offense first.   

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Granlund and Baer are quite different.   Granlund is still possibly an offensive talent but his DNA seems to be more of a defensive player.   Baer seems to be very responsible defensively but he thinks offense first.   

Granny's shot hasn't been the same this year, I wonder if his wrist hasn't recovered fully? 

34 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't disagree with you, just don't know why some (you?  not sure) keep denigrating the good younger players the Canucks DO have.   They are short a number of key players but Baer could be a key piece of any team in the NHL and people seem to forget his pedigree so his success isn't coming out of "nowhere".

I'm not bashing Baer but I don't see him as a key piece nor do I think him and a 2nd and 3rd gets OEL.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not bashing Baer but I don't see him as a key piece nor do I think him and a 2nd and 3rd gets OEL.

I don't agree with the price for OEL either but we will disagree on Baer who I feel CDC (and you I guess) underrate.   If I were GM in Vancouver and were in the midst of this build, Baer is one player I would want part of the overall picture.   You wouldn't.   That's fine.   

My point, back to OEL, is I didn't think that he was a good as that one package that included OJ and more and then added Baer made any sense.   I would rather have OJ in two or three years than OEL on an expiring contract.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Last year in NHL, there were 90ish first line forwards.   He was essentially "right there" in that group.   He was selected in top half of the first round in his draft year.   

Not sure what part of that you cannot comprehend.    

Baerstchi was 160th in scoring among all forwards.  He is a tweener middle 6 forward whose linemate was the best player on the team in Horvat. I don't think Baerstchi is underappreciated. He is 25 years old and he has yet to crack 40 points in a season.

13 minutes ago, Toews said:

Baerstchi was 160th in scoring among all forwards.  He is a tweener middle 6 forward whose linemate was the best player on the team in Horvat. I don't think Baerstchi is underappreciated. He is 25 years old and he has yet to crack 40 points in a season.

There were only 16 goals last season where both Baer and Horvat had a point.  There is this weird notion that they have chemistry when Baer looked much better playing with Granlund and even Vey the season before.

Fwiw they both have the same production rate at 5v5 - it has them at about 80ish in the league (min 40 games).  The difference is the powerplay.  Horvat also has points shorthanded, as extra attacker with the Sedins and on empty nets while defending the lead.  This year again both have the same number of points at 5v5 - one more goal for Horvat one more primary assist for Baer (but he did play 4 periods more).

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

So strange, politically we can't agree but when it comes to hockey we're most the time agreeing.B)

+1 Toews.

29 minutes ago, Toews said:

Will agree to disagree.   I look at players based upon per minute and/or per full season when comparing.   He is only into what is really his third full NHL season and has room to grow and has the pedigree.   You don't agree.   That's fine and I am probably wrong and that is fine too.   World does keep spinning.

16 hours ago, Wiznac said:

Based off talks of OEL being available and him being a 1st pair dman and leader. I’m trying to figure out what it would take being fair to acquire him.

To Van : OEL 

To Arizona : Baertschi, Juolevi, 2019 1st and 2018 second. Maybe Goldy or Virtanen? 

Even if it’s trading for OEL.  Brock, Bo, Pettersson and Dahlin would be off the table. No point trading for someone when it would set your rebuild back significantly.

OEL is signed for one more season. Could you imagine paying this price while we’re still a rebuild team, have OEL for one season and then he leaves to a team of his choice.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Granny's shot hasn't been the same this year, I wonder if his wrist hasn't recovered fully? 

I think his wrist is probably part of it and his usage is another part of it. He's spent the first part of the year in a checking role with Sutter and Dorsett. With both of them out he is was relied on defensively even more

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Granlunds shot is fine it’s offensive opportunity. Last year he was placed in a more offensive role playing in our top 6. This year he’s not getting those opportunities.

I still like his game though. He doesn't back down and is a good two way player. Definitely a down year compared to last, but at times i thought he's been very effective.

43 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I still like his game though. He doesn't back down and is a good two way player. Definitely a down year compared to last, but at times i thought he's been very effective.

He’s definitely a great bottom 6 guy that can fill a role in a top 6 if needed. Last year he was needed to do so and fit in seamlessly. This year he hasn’t been called upon in that role as Green is using different players in that offensive role.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Granlunds shot is fine it’s offensive opportunity. Last year he was placed in a more offensive role playing in our top 6. This year he’s not getting those opportunities.

no I do think something is off even when he's had chances 

The Arizona GM has said he's not looking to trade OEL.  I still think it could happen if he gets a great trade offer, but it wouldn't make sense for the Canucks right now, nor would we be willing to part with any of our top prospects due to the risk of him leaving in free agency.

Next year, as a rental, and an opportunity to negotiate with him first, I may be willing to part with a 1st round pick (top ten protected), Baertschi, and Hutton, as OEL is truly an elite defenseman about to enter his prime.  But for now, we wait and aim to get the top overall pick (with lottery luck) in Dahlin

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Massive overpayment and would ensure Vancouver stays in bottom of the league for the foreseeable future.   OJ alone could be equal/better than OEL and the 2018 and 19 drafts look deep.   Baertschi is a legit top six and top half first round pick himself.   Adding in Virtanen as he is is blossoming too. 

Wow.

Maybe wait until Juolevi plays a few N.H.L. before you anoint him better or equal to O.E.L.

3 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Maybe wait until Juolevi plays a few N.H.L. before you anoint him better or equal to O.E.L.

I said could....nothing anointed.   My opinion is could and that it is probable.   That is not anointing, that is simply being very aware of what OEL is and equally aware of the potential that OJ brings.   

Archived