The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks leaders

CrosbyGold

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Except when it mattered the most, like in the Stanley Cup Final. 

you think the team has injuries now

that stanley cup final team was badly beat up

kesler was not a factor in that series either

luongo was good at home.. .kinda dreadful in the boston games

easy to blame the sedins though

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you think the team has injuries now

that stanley cup final team was badly beat up

kesler was not a factor in that series either

luongo was good at home.. .kinda dreadful in the boston games

easy to blame the sedins though

Hank is no Linden that's for sure. ::D

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Except when it mattered the most, like in the Stanley Cup Final. 

Yeah it's the Sedin's fault that team was decimated with injuries. I am sure Boston was beaten up too but come on. That series was lost when Hammer went down honestly. He doesn't get injured and I bet my life the Canucks win that series. Whatever though, go ahead and blame the Sedins for not showing up when no one was really producing those final few games. 

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

good point

hank is much more talented

i agree

he will be voted into the nhl hof

only canuck to do that before him was bure

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah it's the Sedin's fault that team was decimated with injuries. I am sure Boston was beaten up too but come on. That series was lost when Hammer went down honestly. He doesn't get injured and I bet my life the Canucks win that series. Whatever though, go ahead and blame the Sedins for not showing up when no one was really producing those final few games. 

Fun Fact: Linden scored 2 goals in game 7 of the SC final(with major injuries such as broken ribs). No he was not as offensively gifted as a Sedin or a Bure but.............He came one crossbar away from bringing his team a Stanley Cup. Didn't we get shutout in game 7 in 2011? yeah i think we did. :lol:

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Fun Fact: Linden scored 2 goals in game 7 of the SC final(with major injuries such as broken ribs). No he was not as offensively gifted as a Sedin or a Bure but.............He came one crossbar away from bringing his team a Stanley Cup. Didn't we get shutout in game 7 in 2011? yeah i think we did. :lol:

i would agree if you put linden's game 7 final performance against almost any other player in nhl history it stands out

but he did not win the cup either

and one game does not make a better career

when the outcome was the same as 2011

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i would agree if you put linden's game 7 final performance against almost any other player in nhl history it stands out

but he did not win the cup either

and one game does not make a better career

when the outcome was the same as 2011

I am still talking about leaders here and not careers. If Linden had two Bure's I would bet the outcome would be different too. ::D

On 15/01/2018 at 10:18 PM, EdgarM said:

I think your taking it a bit literal there bud. I see the similarities OP is talking about and I think its a start to something great here we can all hope for as Canucks fans. After Bure and Linden we had Nazzy and Bert and then Sedin and Sedin. I like the next chapter with a Bo and Boes so far. Yes we need other pieces to the puzzle but I keep hearing the "Tankers" saying we need keep looking for the next Mcdavid or the next Matthews. Lets give our youngsters the benefit of the doubt in that they may be those players we "think" we are still looking for. I do agree with Xereau in that a #1 D who can QB the PP would be something that might put us to that next level. 

I am confident with what JB has been able to accomplish so far and I am sure he has a plan to put the rest of the puzzle pieces together in the very near future.

Good posts.  If people here really are looking for the next McDavid they will be sorely disappointed in that those players only come once every ten years or so ( see Crosby, Ovechkin....then who? Thornton?  Then maybe Lemuiex?).   I think we already could have a comparable offensive player in Boeser to Mathews, and so far more durable, or on par with Laine and both project as franchise players.   

More solid low grade star pieces mostly come through the draft though, and we need more than what we have unless every prospect in our pool translates better than expected in the NHL.  We can't make a hockey trade given we don't have anyone to do that with and even if we did ( Horvat ?) we'd be losing something most likely to do it.   You over pay big time to get first time UFAs and some of their remaining prime years ( go Tavares!) which we could do with one player before handcuffing our cap future ( two once LE is done).   Which leaves the draft as the best hope to get out and back on top so I can get on the tank train.  In fact that's exactly where I want to be this year, maybe next year too.  Then trader Jim can start assembling what we need by trading what we have in excess.

On 15/01/2018 at 8:42 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

All set for any good 3 on 3 tourney that lasts five minutes I guess.   For a playoff run, you need 23 players plus a strong farm system.   Horvat and Boeser will help such run but you could put Luongo or Hasek or Brodeur or even all three and if all you have in addition is Horvat and Boeser, you won't be in playoffs let alone have a run.

Except one can argue that Hasek did just that with low scoring but solid players ( Peca).  And Roy did the same in 93, they had no business getting to the final, and without his OT ten winning streak ( wtf? who does that?) they wouldn't get out of their conference let alone beat LA ( who should have been up 2-0 in the series if it wasn't for McSorely s hooked stick, and all the other games were so close on the scoreboard but tilted towards MTLs  net throughout).  Those two series stand out the most, although Roy was the only one to win ( and they did have Muller, a young John LeClair and loads of role players).  Thomas also deserves some props for only allowing barely a goal a game ( how did we even get to game seven, oh right Luongos shut outs) but he had a Norris defenseman at the peak of his powers and a guy that will retire with more Selkes than anyone else in Bergeron so they had some star power beyond the goalie...but not much.

I get what your saying though, without a well balanced team with a good amount of star power and at least a top ten goalie ( or a good one who's on fire) you won't go far.  

Goaltending is the key though if you want to get away with bad depth of low scoring forwards.  Two top centers also works ( see Pit).  

As for the OP, leadership is a key component of any cup winning team, I think we have someone special in Horvat but we don't really know what we have there yet.  I'm curious as to what sort of influence Boeser will have on the team if he turns into a super star.  Maybe something, maybe not.  Linden was a great leader, it followed him his entire career and he captured the respect of all his peers with the NHLPA.  Personally I think after two cores of very professional and gentlemanly leadership by Swedish players, is like a North American leadership core next time and it appears to be coming.  No worries for me on this subject,  it should happen organically and I'm confident the team will find it's culture the old fashion way by going through what they are now, and appreciate the winning all the more when it comes.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

Like two Bure's not scoring in game 7 instead of one?

No like two 100 point players getting shutout in 5 of 7 games in a Stanley Cup Final!! Game 6 was the ONLY game where both brothers were in on the scoring. Game #2 Daniel had points but Hank had none. 

Bure, on the other hand, had 8 points in 7 games and did what he was supposed to do as a point producer. Linden did his job and Bure did his.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good posts.  If people here really are looking for the next McDavid they will be sorely disappointed in that those players only come once every ten years or so ( see Crosby, Ovechkin....then who? Thornton?  Then maybe Lemuiex?).   I think we already could have a comparable offensive player in Boeser to Mathews, and so far more durable, or on par with Laine and both project as franchise players.   

More solid low grade star pieces mostly come through the draft though, and we need more than what we have unless every prospect in our pool translates better than expected in the NHL.  We can't make a hockey trade given we don't have anyone to do that with and even if we did ( Horvat ?) we'd be losing something most likely to do it.   You over pay big time to get first time UFAs and some of their remaining prime years ( go Tavares!) which we could do with one player before handcuffing our cap future ( two once LE is done).   Which leaves the draft as the best hope to get out and back on top so I can get on the tank train.  In fact that's exactly where I want to be this year, maybe next year too.  Then trader Jim can start assembling what we need by trading what we have in excess.

I agree in that the draft is where we get quality players but that should not be the only avenue in which to build the team. Luckily we are passed the "trade the future for now" mentality and we have been keeping our draft picks. Do we really need to take extra steps to get more picks though? To me it puts an imbalance in your team such as it does to teams such as Edmonton,Arizona and Buffalo. We have already seen an example of the "need for years of top picks to be successful" plan for success not needed in a team such as Vegas.

I believe it all boils down to balance and not overdoing one process or the other. Either way you look at it, you need to assemble roughly 22-23 players with the best possible players you can acquire. How you do that is not as important as to what players you actually put in those positions.

What is really important is to build a team that other players would love to come and play for. It attracts UFA's and it prevents your young stars from wanting to leave your team for greener pastures.

15 hours ago, EdgarM said:

No like two 100 point players getting shutout in 5 of 7 games in a Stanley Cup Final!! Game 6 was the ONLY game where both brothers were in on the scoring. Game #2 Daniel had points but Hank had none. 

Bure, on the other hand, had 8 points in 7 games and did what he was supposed to do as a point producer. Linden did his job and Bure did his.

I don't think they had a 6'9" gorilla riding their backs like Hank did either. Not to mention the constant crosschecking (to an already injured back) and hacks to the ankles Hank endured from Chara and the refs turned a blind eye to. You, and many others, also completely ignore just how outstanding Thomas was in that series. He didn't let a single game get away from his team like Lou did. It's not like we didn't get any scoring opportunities, Thomas played like a Vezina goalie in every game in the finals.

On 1/16/2018 at 1:34 AM, Jester13 said:

Yes. And I think we potentially have more clutch players coming in Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich and EP. They all play hard and want to improve endlessly, which is why they were drafted. We have the potential of having a stacked team of depth and drive like we've never seen. Of course, time will tell.

Interestingly Lind, Gadj and Gaudette have all dropped the gloves. Now what I like about that is not that they fight - I really don't care if a player fights - but that they have "a line" and they will "push back" when challenged.

Bo finally showed this and give him his due it wasn't against a smurf. That to me is captain material as he showed he had "a line"

Virtanen, Hutton, Stecher and Gaunce have also shown it in the past.

What I am saying is we are gradually building a team who will back each other in a brawl. No more of these "perimeter skaters" who hover about trying their hardest to not get involved or look threatening while the rest of their team mates battle against the odds.

One guy who may surprise most of you, who in his younger days definitely had "a line" and a temper, is Brandon Sutter. He reminds me of Hansen in that once he gets going he is fully committed.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

I don't think they had a 6'9" gorilla riding their backs like Hank did either. Not to mention the constant crosschecking (to an already injured back) and hacks to the ankles Hank endured from Chara and the refs turned a blind eye to. You, and many others, also completely ignore just how outstanding Thomas was in that series. He didn't let a single game get away from his team like Lou did. It's not like we didn't get any scoring opportunities, Thomas played like a Vezina goalie in every game in the finals.

Quite frankly when you have 2 guys like the Twins in your team you either accept that they can be intimidated by a team like Boston or you take steps to protect them. Incredibly Tanner Glass played 20 games in that series and I don't recall him fighting anyone, maybe you can refresh my memory.

Having said that it's unfair to expect someone in Glass's weight class to take on the likes of Thornton, Lucic or McQuaid. The Canucks should have acquired a genuine heavyweight to  put the Bruins back in their box.

Can you imagine how that series would have gone if we had seen this in game one. How funny to hear the commentators low ball Scott when they root for a player like Marchand who speed bags a player he KNOWS won't hit him back.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Interestingly Lind, Gadj and Gaudette have all dropped the gloves. Now what I like about that is not that they fight - I really don't care if a player fights - but that they have "a line" and they will "push back" when challenged.

Bo finally showed this and give him his due it wasn't against a smurf. That to me is captain material as he showed he had "a line"

Virtanen, Hutton, Stecher and Gaunce have also shown it in the past.

What I am saying is we are gradually building a team who will back each other in a brawl. No more of these "perimeter skaters" who hover about trying their hardest to not get involved or look threatening while the rest of their team mates battle against the odds.

One guy who may surprise most of you, who in his younger days definitely had "a line" and a temper, is Brandon Sutter. He reminds me of Hansen in that once he gets going he is fully committed.

I love how they have the lights going during the fight haha

in that boston series, our pp was so good, the gm gave orders that they would pay back the bruins with pp goals. he gave orders that they play between the whistles. he pretty much told them to turn the other cheek. when the refs let those infractions go, it made us look like whimps. 

with burrows, he was yapping like he does while one linesman had him tied up, the linesman only had one arm of the boston player tied up . the boston player was trying to shut burrows up by sticking his finger in his mouth. even don cherry said, if someone stuck their pinger in my mouth, i'ld bite it too.

i look so forward, to seeing, gaudette, lind and gadj on the same line. eventually they could be a good second line. 

the nhl seems to be going to speed and skill and benning is building that way. team toughness is more important than individual toughness. 

Archived