The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks - Jets

*FYI LONG READ* Big trade will try to give an in depth reasoning as to why it way be possible. This trade is quite big & contains 0 draft picks coming to the Canucks...OH MY!!!

Vancouver trades:

Alex Edler (ntc) - 5m - 1 more year 

Erik Gudbranson 3.5m pending UFA, he tells Canucks he won't sign extension with them- He can negotiate with Winnipeg tho!

Brendan Gaunce 750k 1 more year- depth F, if waived would all but clear if they want him down on their farm team

Winnipeg trades:

Jacob Trouba- 2.8125m pending RFA will want long term big $ deal. Jets have Myers & Buff both making more than 5.5m per on the right side

Ben Chiarot- 1.4m 1yr left. We have to take back a lhd from them. We can try to flip him/waive him or play him I suppose (not my choice)

Brendan Lemieux- 839k- Young F, plays with an edge....We could use that, maybe bring some elements Dorsett brought?

Why Canucks do it:

1.Edler- He has a NTC I KNOW!!! But he has a small history playing some games in Winnipeg back in the day for the Moose, plus the Jets are a very good team! We shed Edler salary & can give Trouba a long term deal & top end minutes on the right side. I know they had tough negotiations on his last deal, maybe he held out briefly?

2. Trouba is young turns 24 next month. He has a good shot if I recall & he can play with an edge also. He could get top PP minutes with us & get every chance to be a top pairing D. Could be a nice partner for Juolevi down to road after he gets mentored with Tanev for a year or so.

3. We get a young F with grit in Lemieux. He isn't the biggest but he plays the style of game we could use in our bottom 6. Yes we lose Gaunce who is reliable defensively but we also got Dowd recently who I can see us extending. so Lemieux gives us a more edgey player in the bottom 6.

4. As I mentioned above, Guddy declines a contract extension from Benning, so he needs to be moved out for something....He can negotiate with the Jets & could be a nice addition and be a good 3rd pair rhd for them.

Why Jets do it:

1. Edler has been asked to do too much here but I think we can all agree if he went to a better team which the Jets are he would do well. I think he could do well with Winnipeg. So yes they take a risk but Edler has always been a top 4 D in this league. We just have been horrible and he hasn't had proper D depth around him so he has to do it all.

2. Enstrom is a upcoming UFA & has had some injuries. So he kind of replaces him for the next year. Edler brings quite a bit of playoff experience to their LHD. That might be a bit underrated in the grand scheme of this trade. Ehlers new deal kicks in next year too.

3. Yes they lose Trouba, but they know he is gong to want a long term deal with a high cap hit, not to forget his last contract negotiations. I kind of see this like how Tampa dealt with Drouin to a degree. Everything seems to have cleared up but the team was left with a sour taste and wants to move the player, which in this case is Trouba. This cap space that they save can go towards maybe re signing Gudbranson if he fits in well and they can agree to a deal. 

4. Gaunce fills a depth F role. Kept with the big club and around for the playoffs or they can waive him and send him to the Moose, he will clear people.

I don't know if Gaunce needs to be swapped with say Goldy as a better prospect to off set the loss of Trouba. But the main reason Jets are doing this is to load up for this playoff run. They are the BUYERS here trying to win nowish, Canucks are SELLERS looking at the long term FUTURE with Trouba as the big ticket. 

Jets also get an extra year of Edler so he is NOT a rental. They also can choose to try and retain Gudbranson, he may want to stay as they are a good team. We are kind of selling off assets in the deal as Edler is close to FA and Guddy is a UFA. But we are getting a very good young skilled RHD who I think can become an even better player with more opportunity which we can clearly give him here.

Maybe some of you think we already give up too much in Guddy & Edler. But this deal is about helping us now but also it gives us a surefire top 4 RHD for many years. Which we DESPERATELY NEED!

Thanks for reading, hope it garners some CIVIL & INSIGHTFUL discussion!

I have no idea if this fills any of Winnipeg's needs or not, but I know from Vancouver's perspective this would be a fine trade.  We could use that agitating grit in our bottom six, and despite what you said, Lemieux has perfectly good size for the role. Trouba has far more scoring ability than Edler at this point and is pretty responsible defensively, so I'm all for getting him as perhaps a 3rd defenseman or so.  It doesn't solve our scoring woes from the blueline, but it should help.  And while it would suck to lose Gudbranson I'm not sure the market for him is as high as we would all like - given his recent back issues and all. (And besides - I feel he would request more pay than I really think he's worth, so whatever.  It shouldn't be that challenging to find another big mean defenseman if that's all we want.)

This trade gets a passing mark from me.

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I have no idea if this fills any of Winnipeg's needs or not, but I know from Vancouver's perspective this would be a fine trade.  We could use that agitating grit in our bottom six, and despite what you said, Lemieux has perfectly good size for the role. Trouba has far more scoring upside than Edler, and while it would suck to lose Gudbranson I'm not sure the market for him is as high as we would all like - given his recent back issues and all. (And besides - I feel he would request more pay than I really think he's worth, so whatever.  It shouldn't be that challenging to find another big mean defenseman if that's all we want.)

I did not realize that Lemieux was 6'1 209lb. I thought he was just under 6' basically same size as dorsett but a lefty. So yes his size is not a concern. Not that I ever thought it was but I was under the impression he was 5'10 or 5'11

24 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Vancouver trades:

Erik Gudbranson 3.5m pending UFA, he tells Canucks he won't sign extension with them- He can negotiate with Winnipeg tho!

Brendan Gaunce 750k 1 more year- depth F, if waived would all but clear if they want him down on their farm team

Winnipeg trades:

Jacob Trouba- 2.8125m pending RFA will want long term big $ deal. Jets have Myers & Buff both making more than 5.5m per on the right side

Ben Chiarot- 1.4m 1yr left. We have to take back a lhd from them. We can try to flip him/waive him or play him I suppose (not my choice)

Brendan Lemieux- 839k- Young F, plays with an edge....We could use that, maybe bring some elements Dorsett brought?

I would be game for acquiring Trouba and if Edler is willing to waive i wouldn't mind a deal like 

Guddy and Edler, plus? For just Trouba.

The problem is Guddy and Edler are more cap used up than Trouba would demand from them on a new contract, also Guddy is a Buffugly type of player so that roles filled and Edlers aging so why wouldn't they just keep their young stud d man...im not sure if Trouba is  unhappy there anymore with how successful things are over there right now so they probobly want to keep him.

5 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

I would be game for acquiring Trouba and if Edler is willing to waive i wouldn't mind a deal like 

Guddy and Edler, plus? For just Trouba.

The problem is Guddy and Edler are more cap used up than Trouba would demand from them on a new contract, also Guddy is a Buffugly type of player so that roles filled and Edlers aging so why wouldn't they just keep their young stud d man...im not sure if Trouba is  unhappy there anymore with how successful things are over there right now so they probobly want to keep him.

You are correct, but Winnipeg is getting 2 good D in return while shipping out 1. They can choose to see what Gudbranson wants and either extend him an offer or let him walk. If he walks I suppose there could be a something in the deal to compensate for that like we send them a 2019 2nd or something.

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

You are correct, bute Winnipeg is getting 2 good D in return while shipping out 1. They can choose to see what Gudbranson wants and either extend him an offer or let him walk. If he walks I suppose there could be a something in the deal to compensate for that like we send them a 2019 2nd or something.

that does not adequately answer the concern raised

they can resign trouba for less then those 2

why would they just take edler and his $5 million and let gud walk

then they just got taken in a deal

sorry, the criticism is valid and you failed to respond in a meaningful way

i think jets would just prefer to resign trouba if that and this trade were their only options

as a result the trade proposal is weak and flawed

2 hours ago, Yotes said:

*FYI LONG READ* Big trade will try to give an in depth reasoning as to why it way be possible. This trade is quite big & contains 0 draft picks coming to the Canucks...OH MY!!!

Vancouver trades:

Winnipeg trades:

Why Canucks do it:

1.Edler- He has a NTC I KNOW!!! But he has a small history playing some games in Winnipeg back in the day for the Moose, plus the Jets are a very good team! We shed Edler salary & can give Trouba a long term deal & top end minutes on the right side. I know they had tough negotiations on his last deal, maybe he held out briefly?

2. Trouba is young turns 24 next month. He has a good shot if I recall & he can play with an edge also. He could get top PP minutes with us & get every chance to be a top pairing D. Could be a nice partner for Juolevi down to road after he gets mentored with Tanev for a year or so.

3. We get a young F with grit in Lemieux. He isn't the biggest but he plays the style of game we could use in our bottom 6. Yes we lose Gaunce who is reliable defensively but we also got Dowd recently who I can see us extending. so Lemieux gives us a more edgey player in the bottom 6.

4. As I mentioned above, Guddy declines a contract extension from Benning, so he needs to be moved out for something....He can negotiate with the Jets & could be a nice addition and be a good 3rd pair rhd for them.

Why Jets do it:

1. Edler has been asked to do too much here but I think we can all agree if he went to a better team which the Jets are he would do well. I think he could do well with Winnipeg. So yes they take a risk but Edler has always been a top 4 D in this league. We just have been horrible and he hasn't had proper D depth around him so he has to do it all.

2. Enstrom is a upcoming UFA & has had some injuries. So he kind of replaces him for the next year. Edler brings quite a bit of playoff experience to their LHD. That might be a bit underrated in the grand scheme of this trade. Ehlers new deal kicks in next year too.

3. Yes they lose Trouba, but they know he is gong to want a long term deal with a high cap hit, not to forget his last contract negotiations. I kind of see this like how Tampa dealt with Drouin to a degree. Everything seems to have cleared up but the team was left with a sour taste and wants to move the player, which in this case is Trouba. This cap space that they save can go towards maybe re signing Gudbranson if he fits in well and they can agree to a deal. 

4. Gaunce fills a depth F role. Kept with the big club and around for the playoffs or they can waive him and send him to the Moose, he will clear people.

I don't know if Gaunce needs to be swapped with say Goldy as a better prospect to off set the loss of Trouba. But the main reason Jets are doing this is to load up for this playoff run. They are the BUYERS here trying to win nowish, Canucks are SELLERS looking at the long term FUTURE with Trouba as the big ticket. 

Jets also get an extra year of Edler so he is NOT a rental. They also can choose to try and retain Gudbranson, he may want to stay as they are a good team. We are kind of selling off assets in the deal as Edler is close to FA and Guddy is a UFA. But we are getting a very good young skilled RHD who I think can become an even better player with more opportunity which we can clearly give him here.

Maybe some of you think we already give up too much in Guddy & Edler. But this deal is about helping us now but also it gives us a surefire top 4 RHD for many years. Which we DESPERATELY NEED!

Thanks for reading, hope it garners some CIVIL & INSIGHTFUL discussion!

It might be too neutral of a trade for Winnipeg to risk wrecking team moral. I do like the idea of targeting Trouba and Edler is a fan of Winnipeg so it could be a good base for a trade. 

58 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

that does not adequately answer the concern raised

they can resign trouba for less then those 2

why would they just take edler and his $5 million and let gud walk

then they just got taken in a deal

sorry, the criticism is valid and you failed to respond in a meaningful way

i think jets would just prefer to resign trouba if that and this trade were their only options

as a result the trade proposal is weak and flawed

You can sign 1 Trouba for 6ish M and have 19m tied up in your RHD

Or

You could have Edler a top 4 LHD 

&

If you so choose sign Gudbranson RHD to a 4ish M dollar deal. If he walks we there can be a contingiancy about the Jets get a compensation pick if Guddy walks as a UFA. So they arent just left with Guddy or nothing they could obtain a 2019 draft pick.

The difference is you can have Trouba on a super stack RHD and let your LHD remain a weak point.

Yes they may pay 3ish M more than what it could cost to have Trouba but they are shoring up the D quite substantially. Plus I also think the way he held out could be similar to Drouin in TB. Make good, but the team move on from the player to better fill needs to improve the team.

Enstrom is a UFA- He seems to like it in Winnipeg he waived his NMC at the expansion draft so the team could secure a different asset. I assume with his injuries he wont command his same 5.5m and would sign for less to stay with the team

2 hours ago, Yotes said:

You can sign 1 Trouba for 6ish M and have 19m tied up in your RHD

Or

You could have Edler a top 4 LHD 

&

If you so choose sign Gudbranson RHD to a 4ish M dollar deal. If he walks we there can be a contingiancy about the Jets get a compensation pick if Guddy walks as a UFA. So they arent just left with Guddy or nothing they could obtain a 2019 draft pick.

The difference is you can have Trouba on a super stack RHD and let your LHD remain a weak point.

Yes they may pay 3ish M more than what it could cost to have Trouba but they are shoring up the D quite substantially. Plus I also think the way he held out could be similar to Drouin in TB. Make good, but the team move on from the player to better fill needs to improve the team.

Enstrom is a UFA- He seems to like it in Winnipeg he waived his NMC at the expansion draft so the team could secure a different asset. I assume with his injuries he wont command his same 5.5m and would sign for less to stay with the team

or they can just trade him for better value then you propose

and not give him to the canucks cuz you want him

and want them to take spare parts that are expendable on a bottom 5 team

i'm sure the jets are super excited about this

55 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I just don't think Winnipeg would make a move this big in the middle of the season. It fills the need of a LHD, but Trouba is a big piece, and Gudbranson is a UFA, so he's essentially a rental.

I'd rather keep Edler if possible. What about Hutton and Guddy for the jets 1st and 3rd. Both going to be high pick Maybe A  change of scenery doe Hutton some good. Pretty sure Trouba is on record saying he wants to play for an American team in the east. Tho I got that from HF so take that with A grain of salt.

11 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I'd rather keep Edler if possible. What about Hutton and Guddy for the jets 1st and 3rd. Both going to be high pick Maybe A  change of scenery doe Hutton some good. Pretty sure Trouba is on record saying he wants to play for an American team in the east. Tho I got that from HF so take that with A grain of salt.

Trouba is an RFA, so they don't have to worry about him until the off-season.

The Jets are usually pretty hesitant to trade first rounders, but I think they might if they can keep the player(s), especially since they are doing really well this year. However, they are pretty good at conserving their picks, so I don't see it happening unless the perfect piece is there.

8 hours ago, c00kies said:

I just don't think Winnipeg would make a move this big in the middle of the season. It fills the need of a LHD, but Trouba is a big piece, and Gudbranson is a UFA, so he's essentially a rental.

No your probably right. Trouba might be move available at the draft.

I could see the Jets trying to get Edler though, as he would help their LHD big time.

Edler

Gaunce

for

Lemieux

2018 1st round pick

36 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I would love trouba but I heard jets were starting to consider moving big buff. Trouba being younger and on the upswing seems like a piece they’d want to keep. 

That would be the smarter move for them. Buff has a 7.5m cap the deal pays him 7.5m during his 36 yr old season.With some recent injuries this year and he is only going to continue to slow down. I would be very wary of his contract if I was a team that would maybe inquire him.

He also has a full NMC, so while the Jets are now a good team with a great core, why would he want to waive to leave that team?

3 minutes ago, Yotes said:

That would be the smarter move for them. Buff has a 7.5m cap the deal pays him 7.5m during his 36 yr old season.With some recent injuries this year and he is only going to continue to slow down. I would be very wary of his contract if I was a team that would maybe inquire him.

He also has a full NMC, so while the Jets are now a good team with a great core, why would he want to waive to leave that team?

Trouba has been replacing him on the ice and byfuglien called out his coach last week.  I doubt he’d consider moving this year. But prior to trouba extension jets are going to have to make a decision. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Trouba has been replacing him on the ice and byfuglien called out his coach last week.  I doubt he’d consider moving this year. But prior to trouba extension jets are going to have to make a decision. 

For sure, will Trouba be willing to commit long term to the Jets. I dont think you can fully discount their past in regards to contract negotiations. He may only want a deal to take him to UFA.

regardless, drafting a Boqvist is nice, but he wont be an impact for a couple years minimum. Trading for someone like Trouba helps us now and is a part of our new core going forward. We might have to pony up big to get him.

How about this, after the draft lottery we end up picking no higher than 5th lets say. Do you trade that pick straight up for Trouba? Would the Jets?

I sure as heck would, Trouba is a surefire NHL D who has top pairing within reach already. Boqvist/Bouchard etc are all nothing but prospects with question marks.

Archived