The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed? (Discussion/Poll)

J.I.A.H.N

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed?  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I agree.  Just as I feel Bourdon (RIP) would have eventually proven to be a very good pick.  Very similar skillsets and likely a similar development trajectory

Ugh, the death of LB was a real blow to the promise of the blue line back then. 

They needed that player. 

RIP

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m not going to press you for it with logic, but just curious, would you trade OJ for Sergachev?

No, because I feel that OJ is a more well-rounded defenseman, albeit not as flashy.  Sergachev is producing but he's playing sheltered minutes feeding elite forwards.  He got lucky being thrust into a perfect situation for him and he's taking full advantage.

They are similar quality players who bring different skills to the table.  Ideally you want both types of guys for a balanced group.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎28 at 5:08 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/benning-vs-holland-if-you-could-only-pick-1-which-would-you-rather-have.2438373/

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/benning-vs-gillis.2434111/

Who are these people?!? Crazy.

Benning for 3 years, we're really gonna appreciate him later more so than right now.

I don't like Benning and I loved Gillis, but it is pretty crazy the hate Benning gets there.

Capture.JPG.a4dbc559d32d8bcc9c278c9dbf7f13cf.JPG

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎28 at 8:10 PM, luckylager said:

"Toronto's hockey people" hate Vancouver, they're still sore about losing to us in the 94 West final.

tinffoilcat.jpg.f3937fad0c4c4f4348997acc49cee210.jpg

Have you been to Toronto?  People there couldn't care less about anything outside of Toronto.  Serious delusion if you think anyone takes the time to hate on a bottom feeder like us. 

22 hours ago, Darius71 said:

This is a list of the top 16 scorers of the team JB inherited.

Note:  Only 3 guys in the top 16 were under 26 yrs old, and only one of those guys had more than 20 points.  To say the team was void of young talent is an understatement.

Note2: Approx half of the top 10 had NTC .

This is is what he had to work with, along with one of the worst ranked prospect pools in the NHL.  This core was mauled by the LA Kings (2012) and SJ sharks (2013) in the playoffs (one win in two playoff series)

Does anyone here think a guy like Holland (or anyone else) could have turned this into a winner in less than 4 years?  The key players - most of which had NTCs- on the team were getting run over in the playoffs and there was hardly any young talent on the team.

Very good points, which is why it didn't make sense to try to rebuild on the fly and not pull a Toronto/Pittsburgh/Chicago.  Although the rebuild on the fly fell on it's face and we got the high draft picks regardless. Just would have been nice to have extra picks instead of wasting them on guys like Gudbranson, Sutter and Vey.  Then give crazy money & term to Erikkson like he's someone that was gonna put us over the top.  He might as well have a NTC because nobody would eat that contract unless we threw in a pick.  

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

OJ, Sergachev, and Tkachuk  were roughly similar value and could have gone in any order.  I can't blame Benning for choosing to pass on the guy with obvious character issues and zero respect for the sport.  Can't imagine the players we have right now enthusiastically defending that gutless puke's garbage.  Let him play in the cesspool that is Calgary.  Perfect fit for him.

Oh god.  People were saying the exact same things about Burrows & Kesler back in the day and we all loved those guys.  We'd all be loving Tkachuk too if he was in a Canucks jersey.  

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

That’s a funny picture! but I did not give you permission to use my image, especially not my cat’s. 

That guy is awesome. 

Well.  Your cat doesn't look like he gave you permission to fit him with a tinfoil hat.  He looks straight up upset.  So I'll call it even.  

#EndAnimalAbuse

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

I don't like Benning and I loved Gillis, but it is pretty crazy the hate Benning gets there.

Capture.JPG.a4dbc559d32d8bcc9c278c9dbf7f13cf.JPG

tinffoilcat.jpg.f3937fad0c4c4f4348997acc49cee210.jpg

Have you been to Toronto?  People there couldn't care less about anything outside of Toronto.  Serious delusion if you think anyone takes the time to hate on a bottom feeder like us. 

Uhhhhh, it's called humour there champ. 

Thinkin you might have had a real bad day at the bottom of the ruck eh poopsie. Well... ruck over, keep charging forward in your little hissy fit, angry rugby dude... 

Did you pull your top knot too tight, beefcake?

I'm sending you a beer, hope it helps. Xo

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Uhhhhh, it's called humour there champ. 

Thinkin you might have had a real bad day at the bottom of the ruck eh poopsie. Well... ruck over, keep charging forward in your little hissy fit, angry rugby dude... 

Did you pull your top knot too tight, beefcake?

I'm sending you a beer, hope it helps. Xo

I can't drink beer.  I'm on a diet, which might be why I'm grumpy.  

That said, sarcasm doesn't translate on the interweb very well and the "Media hates Canucks" has been a thing here since Benning got hired.  

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

I can't drink beer.  I'm on a diet, which might be why I'm grumpy.  

That said, sarcasm doesn't translate on the interweb very well and the "Media hates Canucks" has been a thing here since Benning got hired.  

No beer! Damn.... I hope it's a whisky diet then.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No chance we can land both unless we wanna part with Boeser or Horvat.

I floated an idea of potentially trading Horvat to get into the top 5 in this draft *if the Canucks won the lottery and using that pick to get BT. 

Then they could stand the pain to rebuild a core without Horvat. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Of course would Buffalo, or whoever, trade that pick for a young Horvat? I’m just having fun here...

Pete

OJ

Dahlin

Boeser

BT

Demko

All roughly the same age and what a core to start with.

Insulate that with Gaudette, Lind, Gadjo... 

Kind of wonder if they've already had discussions about the direction of the team and Aquilini didn't like his answers.

I could see Benning pitching a firesale to improve our chances at Dahlin and ownership deciding that was unacceptable.

If there was ever a year to go hard for first overall this it. Defenseman like Dahlin don't come around very often.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kind of wonder if they've already had discussions about the direction of the team and Aquilini didn't like his answers.

I could see Benning pitching a firesale to improve our chances at Dahlin and ownership deciding that was unacceptable.

If there was ever a year to go hard for first overall this it. Defenseman like Dahlin don't come around very often.

At this point no real reason to keep the UFA's on the roster for next year.

This is year to go all in for Dahlin.   Whatever it takes to increase our chances i would think. 

If FA  didn't agree to it, then its time for new ownership. 

7 pts back of Buffalo

I think we are better than that and we can catch the Sabres

Problem is Florida and Montreal are tanking hard...   and making a run for us.

Desperate  times call for Desperate Actions i would think.....

What can we do to catch the Sabres ?   Dahlin is the holly grail . Dahlin is our Stanley Cup this year.

What can the Canucks do to put our club over the top this year and get the prize  ( Dahlin ) ? 

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

At this point no real reason to keep the UFA's on the roster for next year.

This is year to go all in for Dahlin.   Whatever it takes to increase our chances i would think. 

If FA  didn't agree to it, then its time for new ownership. 

Maybe he pitched trading more than just the UFA's though who knows?

Edler? Tanev? Sutter?

Any one of them should be considered if a deal was there to vastly improve our future.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe he pitched trading more than just the UFA's though who knows?

Edler? Tanev? Sutter?

Any one of them should be considered if a deal was there to vastly improve our future.

Well i think Edler at 31 yr old is the logical one to move if he would agree to the move.......

His age will not work well with what our club is looking to do the next 3-4 years....

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Well i think Edler at 31 yr old is the logical one to move if he would agree to the move.......

His age will not work well with what our club is looking to do the next 3-4 years....

However if ownership is demanding playoffs as soon as next year trading Edler would kind of hurt those chances.

Archived