The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed? (Discussion/Poll)

J.I.A.H.N

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed?  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think Aqua man needs to understand how excited people are for new blood.

While the team might be losing, new blood; exciting young names and an obviously bright future plus the potential jersey and merch sales are going to put money in his wallet for faster than a nice shiny run for 17th overall under a new GM

Its a risk. If he's looking at the empty seats and thinks he needs more veterans to fill them then this could really go sideways. 

If you lived in Vancouver would you buy season tickets if this team went youth movement? 

10 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I was thinking about a poll title - What would it take for you to want Benning/management fired?

Of course any time you have a pol you have done most of the thinking for those that answer through the limited options.

A poll with this type of question could/may weed out trollers, fanatics and employees, because they would vote that nothing could ever have them wanting to fire the current group no matter what, they would give management infinite time and infinite excuses.

I'd like to see @StealthNuck do one a little simpler than that, just "Do you want Jim Benning's contract extended?" I bet CDC is as high as 70% yes on that question. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to see @StealthNuck do one a little simpler than that, just "Do you want Jim Benning's contract extended?" I bet CDC is as high as 70% yes on that question. 

They already have a thread like that.

Sure you would probably get a huge number favouring that as there are a lot of posters that got ran out of the forum by being ganged up on with negs, trolled or just got tired of the same fanatical responses that defy logic. So many think that being the worst team over the last three years with the fewest amount of draft picks playing on it or the most prospects not making the team is a good thing. That being capped out and being on the bottom some how helps with trades. With giving out "clause" contracts is a good thing for Benning and a bad thing otherwise. 

So a poll along the lines would show just how many are in those categories. They would to keep him even if it was a 10 year rebuild, or there had to be two or more resets on a rebuild, or having players wanting to be traded or FA's not wanting come here or only 30+ vets signed to massive untradeable contracts. Just what would it take for these types of fans to say "enough is enough", to realize that if an expansion team can do what Vegas is doing then a more established team should be able to do with a 5 year span, this is year 4. In the OLD NHL it was the common time frame of rebuild was 5 years and with FA now, it should be less.

15 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I voted yes to three years, he has made a lot of good (and some bad) moves. We finanlly have a deep and talented prospect pool, I'd like to see what Benning can do once Pettersson, Gaudette, etc are on the team.

How many more years? 2020 is probably a wiped out year, so how many more years? I am sure most of the prospects could play on this 29th placed team but that does not mean the team is good as a whole or have a massive improvement in the standings. Boeser may score 40 and the team is still 29th and one of the lowest scoring teams. The will need to replace the 100 points the Sedisn put up and Vanek's goals and points. To get to league average the team will need to score 70 or 80 more goals and even more to become a playoff threat.

Horvat was on pace to score 25 for the year it now looks like 20 ish and with higher scrutiny maybe less, Sven is also around the 19 area. Dorsett had 7 and while not a lot it is over 5% of total goals even now.

At the very least the team will need the prospects to be even better than hoped, just to stay even where they are will require 2/3 players scoring more than 20 goals each, three if the Sedins stay and can retain their scoring stats now for any improvement close to league average. New players. Gone will be, Dorsetts, Vaneks's, Sedins and the few goals provided by players already gone or demoted.

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

I voted yes to three years, he has made a lot of good (and some bad) moves. We finanlly have a deep and talented prospect pool, I'd like to see what Benning can do once Pettersson, Gaudette, etc are on the team.

Even a tripped out hippy from kelowna would tell u that hank and danny for 3 yrs is a complete disaster for the canucks 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its a risk. If he's looking at the empty seats and thinks he needs more veterans to fill them then this could really go sideways. 

If you lived in Vancouver would you buy season tickets if this team went youth movement? 

hands down I would.  Over seeing some 27+ guy who has been read and studied absolutely.

Young is new, new is exciting.  I'd buy season tickets for that before I would more of the same

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Even a tripped out hippy from kelowna would tell u that hank and danny for 3 yrs is a complete disaster for the canucks 

They sign for 3 years to get the cap hit down, if 2020 is shut down, like a lot of agents and players seem to think, it is a throw away year.

FA is losing buckets of money with his investment / canucks

businessmen like FA dont usually like losing money

benning walks the plank

just like willie

timing is everything in business 

taking over gillis mess will cost willie and benning their jobs 

Of course. Benning has done a very good job since coming here. Sure he's made some missteps, but is doing the best with the hand he's been dealt. 

His trades have gotten better over his time here, as have his free agency signings. 

He has a vision for the future and should be given a chance to see it come to fruition. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

FA is losing buckets of money with his investment / canucks

businessmen like FA dont usually like losing money

benning walks the plank

just like willie

timing is everything in business 

taking over gillis mess will cost willie and benning their jobs 

How does canning JB make Aqualini more money though?  

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

hands down I would.  Over seeing some 27+ guy who has been read and studied absolutely.

Young is new, new is exciting.  I'd buy season tickets for that before I would more of the same

You bet one reason is because then the team is building for a return to becoming contenders, looking for players to help put them over the top or be moved. The rebuild still hasn't started until more prospects are playing on the team than FA's signed each year and when the team has the cap space to make moves for the likes of a Doughty or Karlsson or maybe a little less but a confirmed, proven NHL player that fits the need of the team.

Just now, Alflives said:

It doesn't. 

All it does is say to fans that they have no direction and the plan they had failed. Fans are not going to invest more hard earned dollars on a team that is losing and has no clear direction.

Stability is good for business which is why benning needs 3 more years to see his plan through.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Of course. Benning has done a very good job since coming here. Sure he's made some missteps, but is doing the best with the hand he's been dealt. 

His trades have gotten better over his time here, as have his free agency signings. 

He has a vision for the future and should be given a chance to see it come to fruition. 

Just now, Alflives said:

New gm gives linden and benning a scapegoat 

A new GM will hopefully reduce season ticket holders bailing daily from renewals and new packages 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It doesn't. 

All it does is say to fans that they have no direction and the plan they had failed. Fans are not going to invest more hard earned dollars on a team that is losing and has no clear direction.

Stability is good for business which is why benning needs 3 more years to see his plan through.

Right now the only stability /consistency is 

Ticket sales are declining   

Merch sales declining 

interest in canucks is decling

value of canucks is declining 

I actually like what. Enning has done the last yr  - 1.5 yrs 

did not like his first 2 yrs though. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It doesn't. 

One thing that farm teams suffer from is always having a change over of personnel........

With the big club, fans want to see that new prospect come in and develop and grow...............aka Bo Horvat and now Brock

I think that the fans buy into this, if there is clear direction, stability, and growth.............this is what Benning has done and is continuing to do

Franco meddling, shows lack of direction and no stability

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Right now the only stability /consistency is 

Ticket sales are declining   

Merch sales declining 

interest in canucks is decling

value of canucks is declining 

Welcome to the business of owning an NHL team. They should have known going in that the team was going to go through peaks and valleys. Every team does.

He can thank Gillis for the position the team is in. He had zero eye on the future when building a team. Which is why the teams success was so short lived.

Archived