The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brendan Smith, Marcus Kruger, Josh Jooris

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Meh, we don't particularly need the $1m in cap space it would create and we do need warm bodies. He's also extremely solid defensively and on the PK which is better than nothing.

Better to have youth in the lineup over him imo just want him off the team anyway possible. Well they should trade him then if he's that solid on defense and PK because isn't that what wins you Stanley Cups....  Should be an easy selling point if he's that damn good at it right? 

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Better to have youth in the lineup over him imo just want him off the team anyway possible. Well they should trade him then if he's that solid on defense and PK because isn't that what wins you Stanley Cups....  Should be an easy selling point if he's that damn good at it right? 

Not at $6m with term it's not. And again, NMC. And NTC after this year.

As for the youth, we don't have anyone ready (yet) to insert in that will either actually outproduce him and/or not cost just as many GA on the defensive side as they 'add' on the offensive side. Never mind needing bodies to actually PK.

It's a bad contract, he's vastly overpaid for his (lack of) production but he's not likely going anywhere until after his bonus is paid in the 5th year of his contract (unless we get a compliance buyout at the next lockout). Get used to him.

And @ChuckNORRIS4Cup, I'll add that he's always been a complimentary player, not a play driver. We simply lack play drivers on the current Canucks to play with him.

#rebuilding

There's some hope that as we introduce guys who DO drive play (Pettersson, Gaudette, Juolevi etc) that his offensive play might actually improve as well. No guarantees obviously but something to cross fingers for.

33 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's not as if he's pulling a Kassian.  He's playing alright, just not putting up much in the way of offensive numbers.

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not at $6m with term it's not. And again, NMC. And NTC after this year.

As for the youth, we don't have anyone ready (yet) to insert in that will either actually outproduce him and/or not cost just as many GA on the defensive side as they 'add' on the offensive side. Never mind needing bodies to actually PK.

It's a bad contract, he's vastly overpaid for his (lack of) production but he's not likely going anywhere until after his bonus is paid in the 5th year of his contract (unless we get a compliance buyout at the next lockout). Get used to him.

Oh yeah keep forgetting about the NMC damnit, the NTC does it have a list of teams he can provide or is it none? 

Our D and goalies suck anyways so wouldn't care if a couple more goals go in a game, until the D and Goalies is actually addressed properly. 

Eriksson his our highest paid defenseman lol definitely not a forward anymore, but I'd rather a youth player play and learn from mistakes then Eriksson playing some defense.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's not as if he's pulling a Kassian.  He's playing alright, just not putting up much in the way of offensive numbers.

Well yeah that's problem when your being paid to produce offensively and your not you should be gone maybe a new fit will help, but being paid that much to be only good defensively and tbh Sutter and Horvat are much better defensively then him, and make much less he should be gone somehow.

17 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You really think what we have is positive? :wacko:

Yeah, I do.

Sport is about competing, win or lose. Then trying to get better. Which is what we are doing. And as a fan supporting your team. 

Not having a sulk. Where this is crap, that guy is no good. Nobody is any good in fact! Everything is shat...

I like watching Horvat play, Boeser, Vanek. I questioned signing Vanek? But I would so rather watch him than Megna! Think Stecher competes his bag off.  I like Baer. I think Green has composed some pretty good match up lines as well with Sutter, sadly Dorsett, Gaunce, Granlund in our zone, even Dowd has been alrite. I still like watching the Twins? Edler, not infallible, is a good D, Tanev very good! As a whole the guys skate & compete harder than last year.

I was one who wanted to play some young guys. So I am not going to dump on Markstrom for not being as good as Miller. And he's improving as the year goes... I am going to cheer for him! 

Will I be disappointed if Demko comes up and steals his spot?  No. And I'll enjoy the battle, enjoy the process.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yeah, I do.

Sport is about competing, win or lose. Then trying to get better. Which is what we are doing. And as a fan supporting your team. 

Not having a sulk. Where this is crap, that guy is no good. Nobody is any good in fact! Everything is shat...

I like watching Horvat play, Boeser, Vanek. I questioned signing Vanek? But I would so rather watch him than Megna! Think Stecher competes his bag off.  I like Baer. I think Green has composed some pretty good match up lines as well with Sutter, sadly Dorsett, Gaunce, Granlund in our zone, even Dowd has been alrite. I still like watching the Twins? Edler, not infallible, is a good D, Tanev very good! As a whole the guys skate & compete harder than last year.

I was one who wanted to play some young guys. So I am not going to dump on Markstrom for not being as good as Miller. And he's improving as the year goes... I am going to cheer for him! 

Will I be disappointed if Demko comes up and steals his spot?  No. And I'll enjoy the battle, enjoy the process.

Lol we were talking about the D and Goalies not the whole team...

Forward wise yes Horvat and Brock and the only good things going forward, Eriksson and Gagner need to be gone, need more size and physical presence up front. The team is to soft up front and just continues to get injured, this team with some of the players they have will never stay healthy to small and weak.

The D is really bad Edler isn't the same player he used to be, and it's time to find someone else. Tanev is their best D but he is now to injury prone, and if we keep him we will slowly see his decline like Edler because the injuries will continue to pull up with Tanev and his body will take a toll. Stecher is a hard working D I'll give him that but again he's very small doesn't help with stopping any strong forwards what D need to be good at. Hutton has always been bad at actually playing D, he should of been a forward because he doesn't know how to play D. Guddy has potential to be a solid stay at home D with some physical presence but I'm not completely sold on him for a multi year contract. Zotto is a good 3rd line D he isn't the best but he has experience but also has mental mistakes, but doable for a 3rd pairing. What they need to do is revamp the whole D go get an backbone leader and build around him, the guy I want is Subban brings everything this team needs, but obviously not easy to do but that's the kind of guy they need to build around.

I don't hate Markstrom but he isn't a #1, yes he's forced to be in that position and given the opportunity but it's been clear he just isn't a #1 and this team needs a #1, especially with the D they have. Demko has potential but we really don't know how he will do in the NHL and with the D this team has man Demko will be challenged every night when they finally give him the chance, and that's not fair for him imo.

The only positive on this team is Horvat and Boeser, other then that there really isn't any, yes there is possibly some positive for future prospects but that's not on this team right now, and that could take 2-3 more years to really see if they are positive or not for proper evaluation. 

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Lol we were talking about the D and Goalies not the whole team...

Forward wise yes Horvat and Brock and the only good things going forward, Eriksson and Gagner need to be gone, need more size and physical presence up front. The team is to soft up front and just continues to get injured, this team with some of the players they have will never stay healthy to small and weak.

The D is really bad Edler isn't the same player he used to be, and it's time to find someone else. Tanev is their best D but he is now to injury prone, and if we keep him we will slowly see his decline like Edler because the injuries will continue to pull up with Tanev and his body will take a toll. Stecher is a hard working D I'll give him that but again he's very small doesn't help with stopping any strong forwards what D need to be good at. Hutton has always been bad at actually playing D, he should of been a forward because he doesn't know how to play D. Guddy has potential to be a solid stay at home D with some physical presence but I'm not completely sold on him for a multi year contract. Zotto is a good 3rd line D he isn't the best but he has experience but also has mental mistakes, but doable for a 3rd pairing. What they need to do is revamp the whole D go get an backbone leader and build around him, the guy I want is Subban brings everything this team needs, but obviously not easy to do but that's the kind of guy they need to build around.

I don't hate Markstrom but he isn't a #1, yes he's forced to be in that position and given the opportunity but it's been clear he just isn't a #1 and this team needs a #1, especially with the D they have. Demko has potential but we really don't know how he will do in the NHL and with the D this team has man Demko will be challenged every night when they finally give him the chance, and that's not fair for him imo.

The only positive on this team is Horvat and Boeser, other then that there really isn't any, yes there is possibly some positive for future prospects but that's not on this team right now, and that could take 2-3 more years to really see if they are positive or not for proper evaluation. 

dad-what-does-a-win-feel-like-damn-it-so

Our D and goalies do need improvement; however, considering the whole team is going through transition, I don't see how it's a dire situation. If we were in a situation where we had the forward core in tact and ready to go then it might be a little more desired, but that's clearly not the situation at the moment.

People need to learn patience.

Archived