The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Extended (Official)

Darius

2 minutes ago, plane606 said:

Granted his first two years hasn't been great. Made a few bad moves including Eriksson signing and EG trade. Very difficult to tell at the time because Ericksson worked so well with the Sedins playing for Team Sweden, and EG was starting to play well with Florida. Looking back now, it is easy to say that Eriksson only plays well prior to his contract year, and hit a home run with the Canucks. 

EG really has been quite bad playing for the Canucks, and having 3 injuries in less than 2 years doesn't help.

We don't even know if ownership was lead to believe building on the fly works, but historically it doesn't . 

Benning other bad move was being to slow, and not sharp enough to move out UFAs at the trading deadline prior to last year. But learnt his lesson last year. Hansen and Burrows are having horrendous years, while Goldobin and Dalhin are still decent prospect.

Drafting hasn't been bad, but Benning should get more insight on some of these players mental state. Trymakin thoughts was NHL or KHL. period. Virtanen has certain abilities to make it to the NHL, but does want to use them, or has the desire to.

2 or 3 other drafts have bolded to the KHL instead of putting time in the AHL. College free agents other than Stecher and Molino avoid Vancouver because they don't think they will be given the opportunity right away. I guess if you were Zach Austin Reece or Drake Cagguiia, you want the chance to play with superstar players to make your game better.

Overall right move. Don't want a new GM coming in and trading some of the young prospects. But at the same time, Benning needs to make more move to change this team for the better in the next few years. What was that John Tororella once said a few years ago? This team is getting stale.

Agreed for the most part.

Good news to keep Benning.  I was worried they would dump him and get Ken Holland.  I hope ownership stays out of the way and let Benning continue to rebuild this team.  I do not see this team close to competing for a few years anyways.  Just keep up with good drafting and land more solid prospects.

Ok, now we all can just accept that we won't be in the playoffs for 4 years.

Also, we will still pay crazy ticket prices even though the rink is half full.

Hank and Danny to be resign for 3 years @ $5,000,000 per.

Vanek will be resign for 3 years @ $4,000,000/year.

Gubdranson will be given a 5 year $22,000,00 deal.

And Chris Tanev will NEVER get traded because if they did, "THEY WOULDN'T BE COMPETITIVE"

Archived