The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Sedin Hate

Goat James

4 hours ago, khay said:

I love the Sedins like you and feel so thankful to them. But on a contending team, Henrik has no role, let alone as a Center. We will be lucky if he can eat up 10 minutes of ice time in the playoffs. We need a 4th line center that can actually play.

But I haven't given up hope that Daniel can continue to play for us and possibly win a cup with us. Daniel being a winger actually helps to prolong his career compared to Henrik. I notice Daniel using his body far more often than Hank and he is skating a lot better too. Or is it just me? One Sedin winning a cup is better than none.

In 2020:

Dahlen-Horvat-UFA (sign a UFA to a 10 million dollar contract or something. Not Kane, someone much better like Hossa)

Daniel-Pettersson-Boeser

Virtanen-Gaudette-Lind

Gadjovich-Sutter-Eriksson 

Dahlin-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Tanev

Edler-Gudbranson

Demko

Marky or an upgrade if possible

Cap wise this roster will be fine since Dahlen, Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Dahline, Juolevi, and Demko will be on a cheap contracts.

Horvat is tied up at only 5.5 mil.

Boeser will get 7 mil.

Sutter and Eriksson combine for 10.5 mil in salary, which can be stomached.

Gud at 4 mil.

Daniel will sign for maybe 2-3 mil? Tryamkin at 4 mil? Tanev at 6 mil? Edler at 5 mil? 

I can't see Danny wanting to play without him bro. Maybe we move Hank to the wing with Pettersson in the middle? It'd be great for Pettersson's development at the very least

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

I can't see Danny wanting to play without him bro. Maybe we move Hank to the wing with Pettersson in the middle? It'd be great for Pettersson's development at the very least

Yeah maybe. I wish Hank and Danny can play and win the Stanley cup with us.

But here is the dilemma. Add Henrik to that roster and that roster doesn't win the cup. Take him out, and fill it up with a young and capable player, and we have a chance.

I think Danny's desire to win the cup and his love for hockey may allow him to continue on without his brother. We will find out soon.

20 hours ago, khay said:

Dahlin-Tryamkin

this would be sweet.  If it happens we got a real shot at being competitive sooner rather than later.

If it doesn't happen, then we got a while.  The D is the major concern.  At forward if everything works out magically we got a shot at being competitive, but probably half the current prospects are busts (at least) so we probably have another few years to fill out our forward positions.

Really the future core - of really good / star players:  we have 2.  Horvat and Boeser.  Maybe next year we get Pettersson and maybe Gaudette.  Maybe Juolevi but I'm not encouraged by his last season and Salo's remarks (conditioning is poor)..  A team needs 4 top forwards, and 2 top dmen.  numbers can change but say that is true:

so we have 2 of 6.  So we need another 4 top young players - impact players.   If half the prospects are busts, and one prospect matures each year (having been drafted a year or 2 before), that would mean we need another 8 years to get a good young core.  Say EP is one of them, then that cuts that down to 6 years from now (3 if we get super lucky and every top player we draft is an impact player)..  

Lets see how likely that is.  out of the recent drafts we got Viranen (who is a bust as an impact player - maybe he will come around but time is ticking.  he is probably a bottom 6 forward and probably will be a very good bottom 6 forward.  we need guys like that, but as a top 10 pick is is a bust), and Juolevi (bust - just because he won't be an impact player.  Based on Salo's comments - which may be misleading - he is a ways away from the NHL... meaning when he gets here he will potentially be a good player, but not an impact player.  so bust, even though he might be great to have on the team).  That leaves EP and Boeser as the 2 that made it out of the last 4 drafts - to become impact players.  And we have Horvat that made it (and Gaunce that didn't) from the 2 years previous.  then before that is depressing so don't bother going back any further...

but point is:  even with JB who is great at the draft, we are shooting 50% for impact players drafting in the first round (and often high picks).  We were shooting well below 50% before that!  There are no guarantees.  So... that means 6 years at our current pace.  think about that.  6 years.  that is 2024.  

If we get Dahlin that would accelerate that - cause a true superstar (and not just an impact player) makes the whole team better and can carry a higher load than just an impact player.  Look at Toronto, where would they be without Matthews?  Still at the bottom of the league.  out of the playoffs for sure.  the superstars just make everyone on the ice with them better.

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

this would be sweet.  If it happens we got a real shot at being competitive sooner rather than later.

If it doesn't happen, then we got a while.  The D is the major concern.  At forward if everything works out magically we got a shot at being competitive, but probably half the current prospects are busts (at least) so we probably have another few years to fill out our forward positions.

Really the future core - of really good / star players:  we have 2.  Horvat and Boeser.  Maybe next year we get Pettersson and maybe Gaudette.  Maybe Juolevi but I'm not encouraged by his last season and Salo's remarks (conditioning is poor)..  A team needs 4 top forwards, and 2 top dmen.  numbers can change but say that is true:

so we have 2 of 6.  So we need another 4 top young players - impact players.   If half the prospects are busts, and one prospect matures each year (having been drafted a year or 2 before), that would mean we need another 8 years to get a good young core.  Say EP is one of them, then that cuts that down to 6 years from now (3 if we get super lucky and every top player we draft is an impact player)..  

Lets see how likely that is.  out of the recent drafts we got Viranen (who is a bust as an impact player - maybe he will come around but time is ticking.  he is probably a bottom 6 forward and probably will be a very good bottom 6 forward.  we need guys like that, but as a top 10 pick is is a bust), and Juolevi (bust - just because he won't be an impact player.  Based on Salo's comments - which may be misleading - he is a ways away from the NHL... meaning when he gets here he will potentially be a good player, but not an impact player.  so bust, even though he might be great to have on the team).  That leaves EP and Boeser as the 2 that made it out of the last 4 drafts - to become impact players.  And we have Horvat that made it (and Gaunce that didn't) from the 2 years previous.  then before that is depressing so don't bother going back any further...

but point is:  even with JB who is great at the draft, we are shooting 50% for impact players drafting in the first round (and often high picks).  We were shooting well below 50% before that!  There are no guarantees.  So... that means 6 years at our current pace.  think about that.  6 years.  that is 2024.  

If we get Dahlin that would accelerate that - cause a true superstar (and not just an impact player) makes the whole team better and can carry a higher load than just an impact player.  Look at Toronto, where would they be without Matthews?  Still at the bottom of the league.  out of the playoffs for sure.  the superstars just make everyone on the ice with them better.

The Toronto example you bring is a very demonstrative of how one player can accelerate the rebuild.

Is Marner and Nylander impact players? They are good. Kadri, JVR, and etc are all good players but there is no way Toronto makes the playoffs in 2017 without Matthews.

If we get Dahlin, I think we can make playoffs within 2 years.

If Dahlin to Vancouver doesn't happen, it's also not too bad. If we get a top 3 pick, we get Svechnikov or Zadina, which satisfies your criteria of having 4 top 6: Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Svechnikov/Zadina. Then filling the remaining two spots is relatively easy, one strong candidate is Dahlen, who looks like he is going to be a real deal. And we can always sign a UFA or a plug a complimentary player like Burrows on Sedin line to round out top 6.

The defence is a bigger concern. I think Juolevi is going to be great on PP and I think he will be a top 3 like Edler in his earlier years, but not sure if he will be a top 2. Tryamkin is a top 4, but not sure if he will be a top 2 like Chara. If we are missing a top 2, then we have to go with the approach of having 5 top 4's as we did during Gillis' era, which is not bad but yeah it is not ideal. 

The "good" news is that we will most likely suck in 2019 and get another high pick. We need to strike one top 2 in either 2018 or 2019 if we want to ice a cup contender by early 2020's.

11 hours ago, khay said:

The "good" news is that we will most likely suck in 2019 and get another high pick. We need to strike one top 2 in either 2018 or 2019 if we want to ice a cup contender by early 2020's.

Would it be so wrong that we do another stealth tank next year, leave this core together and drive for another top draft pick?

20 hours ago, khay said:

The Toronto example you bring is a very demonstrative of how one player can accelerate the rebuild.

Is Marner and Nylander impact players? They are good. Kadri, JVR, and etc are all good players but there is no way Toronto makes the playoffs in 2017 without Matthews.

If we get Dahlin, I think we can make playoffs within 2 years.

If Dahlin to Vancouver doesn't happen, it's also not too bad. If we get a top 3 pick, we get Svechnikov or Zadina, which satisfies your criteria of having 4 top 6: Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Svechnikov/Zadina. Then filling the remaining two spots is relatively easy, one strong candidate is Dahlen, who looks like he is going to be a real deal. And we can always sign a UFA or a plug a complimentary player like Burrows on Sedin line to round out top 6.

The defence is a bigger concern. I think Juolevi is going to be great on PP and I think he will be a top 3 like Edler in his earlier years, but not sure if he will be a top 2. Tryamkin is a top 4, but not sure if he will be a top 2 like Chara. If we are missing a top 2, then we have to go with the approach of having 5 top 4's as we did during Gillis' era, which is not bad but yeah it is not ideal. 

I agree the defence is the bigger concern. If we dont Draft Dahlin there are other potential 1-2 D in the Draft. It just depends on what style you like.

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Would it be so wrong that we do another stealth tank next year, leave this core together and drive for another top draft pick?

I dont  disagree Hairy , high draft picks consecutively is the only way to build into a Cup contender not just a playoff maker.  the only problem is the fan base here doesnt get that. with talk of making the playoffs next year.... that just shows it.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree the defence is the bigger concern. If we dont Draft Dahlin there are other potential 1-2 D in the Draft. It just depends on what style you like.

I dont  disagree Hairy , high draft picks consecutively is the only way to build into a Cup contender not just a playoff maker.  the only problem is the fan base here doesnt get that. with talk of making the playoffs next year.... that just shows it.

Don' worry. We are not making the playoffs as long as Markstrom is brought back, which he is since he is signed to a contract next season. Did you see the stat for Canucks leading after 1st period? It was shown during the game against Hawks and it was like 12-0-3. In other words, we only led 15 out of 73 times after the first period for the entire season. Of course, not all of this is on your goalie but Marky takes half of the blame as he regularly coughs up soft goals.

Given how hard it is to come back in this league, having Marky in net as the starter ensures a bottom finish next season. 

On 3/23/2018 at 12:54 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Not if you don't mind an empty arena and having an Oiler-like aura ingrained into the team.  Drive -- as in drive it into the ground.  These last couple years were so much fun, let's just do it again, but intentionally this time.

In fact, if it's so good, how 'bout we do that for five more years?  Sure is working for Arizona and Buffalo.  Sign the Sedins for 5 more years, extend placeholders like Gagner, MDZ, and Dowd to plug the holes, keep the Markstrom/Nilsson duo, and leave all the kids in the minors.  Golden.

Now, let's go ask the season ticket holders what they think about that.

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not if you don't mind an empty arena and having an Oiler-like aura ingrained into the team.  Drive -- as in drive it into the ground.  These last couple years were so much fun, let's just do it again, but intentionally this time.

In fact, if it's so good, how 'bout we do that for five more years?  Sure is working for Arizona and Buffalo.  Sign the Sedins for 5 more years, extend placeholders like Gagner, MDZ, and Dowd to plug the holes, keep the Markstrom/Nilsson duo, and leave all the kids in the minors.  Golden.

Now, let's go ask the season ticket holders what they think about that.

Agreed, I think we need to start looking at the pieces we have and start to mold the team. We have pieces and will definitely be getting more pieces this draft. I think too many are concentrating primarily on a magic potion where we are going to get ALL of the pieces to the puzzle from tanking. We have some really good prospects now and we will continue to get more if the picks are not traded away. Benning has a knack for finding them wherever they are in the draft.

Lets not waste away our good prospects by "chasing" the elusive top draft pick. Its a lottery, meant to dissuade teams from intentionally sucking. Take what ever position we "WIN" and go from there.

We have been doing the "mentoring" thing for a few years now and we have acquired players to remain "competitive", now I think its time to provide "support" for our young players and bring in character players with some size and speed(see Vegas). 

Our goalies are going to keep us down in the standings anyway so until Demko or a similar tender comes along, we will be picking high in the drafts regardless.

Really looking forward to next season as the young prospects "fight" for jobs, that's "if" there are actually positions to fight for. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived