The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My NHL Draft Solution, No Tanks, Bottom Teams Get Help, Transparent and Easy.

6 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Fun fact: i think i heard somewhere some hockey analyst was saying how every team should get equal odds. fking delusional lol

Who was this moron? Must be working for Edmonton or Toronto. 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Loser bracket playoffs for the non-playoff teams. Give them something to do in April.

As stated by many people in the past, this doesn't work. Players have no reason to play for this loser cup. Remember, they don't get paid in the playoffs.

If loser bracket playoffs for draft is to be incorporated, players must have something to play for. And the only thing that the players play for is the Stanley cup. By that logic, this loser bracket playoff only works if by winning the tournament, you get a playoff berth. Maybe the winner gets into the playoffs and the runner up gets #1 overall draft pick. Something like that might work.

55 minutes ago, khay said:

As stated by many people in the past, this doesn't work. Players have no reason to play for this loser cup. Remember, they don't get paid in the playoffs.

If loser bracket playoffs for draft is to be incorporated, players must have something to play for. And the only thing that the players play for is the Stanley cup. By that logic, this loser bracket playoff only works if by winning the tournament, you get a playoff berth. Maybe the winner gets into the playoffs and the runner up gets #1 overall draft pick. Something like that might work.

Players have "no" reason to play pre-season either when you think about it. Unless you are some scrub looking to make a name for yourself. 

Thought provoking. I also think things have gone way off they rails from where they were supposed to be.  Players don't tank, if they did NJ would have won Mario and PIT would have drafted second.   Management can and does see TO /Austin Mathews (side bar money in Bettman account ok that's not true.   It's done by an independent firm).

They went too far with the new system, I'm fine with allowing the bottom three to five teams shot at number one, but past that goes too far away from the spirit of drafting #1.  A three year average is a very interesting metric too, good post.

Do teams tank less now under the current lottery system than the previous draft system? 

Right now alot around here are hoping for losses at the increased chance to draft dahlin whereas before hoping to be dead last and be sure to get him. Both scenarios = tank. 

Any leaugue executive that think this lottery discourages tanking is fooling themselves. There is a lottery system now that CDC believes has sucked for us......and we are still pro tank right? 

So, is there ever any one team that is tanking ? Probably not. 

The original system was probably the most fair way to do it. 

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Do teams tank less now under the current lottery system than the previous draft system? 

Right now alot around here are hoping for losses at the increased chance to draft dahlin whereas before hoping to be dead last and be sure to get him. Both scenarios = tank. 

Any leaugue executive that think this lottery discourages tanking is fooling themselves. There is a lottery system now that CDC believes has sucked for us......and we are still pro tank right? 

So, is there ever any one team that is tanking ? Probably not. 

The original system was probably the most fair way to do it. 

The problem with the new system and tanking is that teams can now tank for just one year just to get a lottery spot, if anything you end up with teams tanking like they did for the McDavid draft just to get a lottery chance.

As long as a team can dip just enough as was shown by NJ and Philly last year, for just one end of the year and get a shot at #1, 2 or 3 overall they will. For teams outside the bottom three in the standings the odds go up each selection, for #1 it might be 3% but to get the #3 overall pick the odds go up to 7%, so overall a team that tanked for one season has close to a 10% or better chance of getting a top 3 selection.  

The tanking rule was brought in because of the obvious tank jobs of Buffalo, the year they stated they were going for McDavid and the forgotten Arizona declaration that they to were going for a high draft pick, also an open declaration.

I do believe that they could just go to average standings over a period of years for the first 3 or 4 spots and the rest of the draft by the current year and include some rule about number of #1 picks in a row or years being at the bottom so teams like Arizona that hovers around the bottom due to internal cap restrictions don't "profit" from management decisions of how to run the team year after year.

As far as a "reward" system where the best of the worst get the #1, the average could be used there as well but it would make it much more difficult to figure out, head to head, goals for, goals against, OT wins and losses, empty net goals, too many ties breakers for the three year period that is why "standings" should be used instead of points.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Players have "no" reason to play pre-season either when you think about it. Unless you are some scrub looking to make a name for yourself. 

Sweeten the pot with cash, like the skins tournament, 9 skaters 2 goalies. 

Two periods 5 minutes each, 3 on 3. Fast Quick Tourney Double knockout.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

They have a lot of reasons to play pre-season. Mainly, it's in preparation for the real thing. No pro wants their first game of the season to be the first game of the regular season, a game that counts.

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Babcock disputes that - quite the quote:

Babcock was referring to the selection and did comment upon what was in their control, things like benching Kadri at the end of the season for "discipline", trading away numerous vets, giving the kids, quite a few of them, a shot at the end of the season, they were not hoping to get lucky at the draft, they knew they were getting a top level player at that draft. A little like the Canucks if they finish DFL this year, a top 4 player.

55 minutes ago, khay said:

They have a lot of reasons to play pre-season. Mainly, it's in preparation for the real thing. No pro wants their first game of the season to be the first game of the regular season, a game that counts.

I recall seeing athletes saying the pre-season games don't matter, it's the practices and such that really matter for season preparation. Donaldson said it literally yesterday too. I guess you could argue maybe it's a baseball thing. But I dunno. Loser tourney can be between all the team's management squads going at it. Get Benning and Linden in some skates. Make em earn that 1st overall pick for us.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I recall seeing athletes saying the pre-season games don't matter, it's the practices and such. Donaldson said it literally yesterday too. I guess you could argue maybe it's a baseball thing. But I dunno. Loser tourney can be between all the team's management squads going at it. Get Benning and Linden in some skates. Make em earn that 1st overall pick for us.

Now, that's an interesting idea. The management and coaches would want to win this tourney to help keep their jobs. Most of the league already employees former players as coaches and GMs so this would be fun. We will ice JB and Baumgartner at the back end. Linden and Green as forwards. Cloutier as goalie... OK there is no way we can win this tourney with Cloutier as the goalie. We have to upgrade in goal. 

Archived