The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Would you trade anything for 1st overall?

Would you trade any player for 1st overall?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

You obvious don't understand value though. Two elite franchise forwards, two top tens and a future top 4 Dman.. Ludicrous. 

Don't ever work in a field that requires you to bargain. You'll end up fired and black balled across your industry. 

Boeser is elite, but I don't think hes franchise. 

Im just saying its gonna be a heist cuz that team won't want to trade that pick away for garbage.  

Plz don't tell me you were thinking of like 1st 2018 +  bear cheese + goldy (im not saying you are, but I can see people on this forum offering something like that) 

Look at the Duchene trade, what a major heist.

TL;DR: Pick won't be traded (1st overall)

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I would trade Demko as part of a package for Dahlin, since a good Dman can make an average goaltender look good.

Was just thinking this myself.

Has to depend on who gets the pick though.

I could see a team like Dallas looking at it favorably. 

They already have a solid defense and may be ok with trading the pick for the right pieces. 

They have an age problem between the pipes and would have to look at Demko as a favorable piece.

Demko, Baertschi, our 1st rnder this year, 2nd 2019 for 1st overall?

We should have a super private tryout camp and invite the top 20-25 D of free agents from around the world.

College grads,over ager's and Euro's (SHL, LIGA, KHL)  together for a mini-camp. Replace any of Hutton,Pouliot, MDZ, or Stecher. (but mostly Hutton) The rest have their roles.

This past years D crop was fail. Major need PMD then size and speed.

If we find even one that's good.

25 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Was just thinking this myself.

Has to depend on who gets the pick though.

I could see a team like Dallas looking at it favorably. 

They already have a solid defense and may be ok with trading the pick for the right pieces. 

They have an age problem between the pipes and would have to look at Demko as a favorable piece.

Demko, Baertschi, our 1st rnder this year, 2nd 2019 for 1st overall?

You guys seriously underestimate the value of the 1st overall pick. IF I were to come down to Earth and make a relatively cheap proposal it will at least start with

1st 2018 

Petterson

Demko 

2nd 

This prob won't get it done but what you offered are 2 pieces of garbage in Bear cheese and a meh 2nd rd. (im kinda overstating but you should get the idea).  The only value your offering is Demko (he isnt even the NHL best goalie prospect tho) and our 1st which is prob 7th overall. 

2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

You guys seriously underestimate the value of the 1st overall pick. IF I were to come down to Earth and make a relatively cheap proposal it will at least start with

1st 2018 

Petterson

Demko 

2nd 

This prob won't get it done but what you offered are 2 pieces of garbage in Bear cheese and a meh 2nd rd. (im kinda overstating but you should get the idea).  The only value your offering is Demko (he isnt even the NHL best goalie prospect tho) and our 1st which is prob 7th overall. 

And I'm perfectly happy walking away at that point. 

This draft is loaded with defensemen that will have fine NHL careers as well and I'm perfectly happy to grab any one or two of them in the first round (hopefully).

Going back to size and toughness, far too many times over the years the Canucks have picked up large Defense and/or forwards.   Biggest problem that they have with this antic, is that most of them either couldn't skate or play their position properly.  Players that come to mind are Dana Murzin (pylon) and more recently, Erik Gudbranson.  Both players had/have limited skating, positioning, or hockey sense.  So going to larger players isn't really going to help your team if they are a waste of a contract.  Draft players who can play the game first.

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I would trade Demko as part of a package for Dahlin, since a good Dman can make an average goaltender look good.

Are you kidding?????  Do you know anything about hockey?  You would actually trade a proven #1 goalies for years to come in Vancouver for a guy who may not even pan out.  WOW!!!

29 minutes ago, notafan said:

Can we trade Benning???  

We might be lucky to get a very very late 7th round pick (#217 -- 2019) if we include last year's 7th round pick as well???

That would be the smartest trade in Canuck history.

1 hour ago, notafan said:

Are you kidding?????  Do you know anything about hockey?  You would actually trade a proven #1 goalies for years to come in Vancouver for a guy who may not even pan out.  WOW!!!

Dahlin is more likely to pan out than Demko

6 hours ago, notafan said:

Proven #1?????

Where did he prove this? in his 1 NHL game?

7 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Lmfao what made you even think of that

All the Dahlin hype on the CDC and an overdose of koolaid.  Seriously I'm not getting the vibe from the scouts that he is anything more than an elite defenseman..  they don't always get it right you know.

6 hours ago, notafan said:

You don't follow prospects much do you.   Markstrom was higher touted than Demko has been, by a margin, and remained so until he got his shot.   He's still in the league but he's not elite, or even average.  He did seem to get on a roll near the end and did finally get his first shutout ...

First overalls usually pan out, at least with a higher degree of certainty, but I'd agree that the CDC has taken the hype to new levels.

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All the Dahlin hype on the CDC and an overdose of koolaid.  Seriously I'm not getting the vibe from the scouts that he is anything more than an elite defenseman..  they don't always get it right you know.

Exactly, he also sounds kind of cocky and not in a good way.  Plus what about this Hughes guy next year?  Sounds just as good.  Benning should try and find out who will pull an Edmonton next year(team that everyone thinks will make the playoffs but end up a lotto team) and pry some first rounders from them.  Tanev, Edler, or Baer should be enough to get a first either as a package or maybe on their own.

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

1st 2018 

Petterson

Demko 

2nd 

I wouldn't do even that.  Pettersson was drafted 5th OA, but in that draft class it looks like he *should* have been drafted #1, imo.  #2 at worst.  Then you give up a reasonably high 1st round pick, what is believed to be a #1 goalie, AND a 2nd?  All for one, admittedly almost certain franchise defenseman?  That's crazy.

Not saying necessarily that your wrong (although I do think you are overvaluing a bit), but it would be ludicrous to give up this level of assets to get Dahlin.

What do *I* think it would take?  Take out Demko and I think that gets it done.  Pettersson, 1st and a 2nd.  And only because Pettersson continues to excel no matter what he does, and may very well end up a franchise player himself.

I heard a pro scout talking on the radio the other day and he said that people who are describing Dahlin as a 'almost' McDavid level talent on the blue line have it all wrong.  He compared him to a potential Victor Hedman tier d man , an elite d man who may take a few years to break out.  Scout may be wrong or may be right,  Could some of us be over estimating the kind of impact player Dahlin is?  Id be wary to give up multiple assets including our best players/blue chip prospects plus first round draft picks....

Archived