The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 CDC Puck League

thejazz97

On 28/06/2018 at 12:36 AM, thejazz97 said:

It seems as though I’ve become the Icarus of CDC Puck. In an attempt to ramp up efforts towards playoffs, I suddenly find myself 4+ million over the cap.

We will be listening to offers on the following players:

Johnny Gaudreau (7.25m)

Cory Schneider (6m)

David Savard (3m)

Ryan Spooner (3.2m)

@Qwags and I are open to creative solutions, but we won’t make a deal unless it helps us out in both cutting cap and making/contending in Puck playoffs.

Regards,

Jazz

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Thanks @Watermelons for the discussion and @Salter for processing.

For anyone confused (*ahem*), we needed to drop cap fast. Gaudreau was our biggest contract on the books, and while we lost 1 fp/g, Parayko has a much cheaper salary over the same time period and beefs up our defense while we wait for Makar, Gildon, Saarijarvi, and McIsaac to get to the big leagues.

Well that's why - I hadn't seen the post at the time and so missed out on the chance to acquire a top line forward.

My poor Spoondoggy, maybe next time :wub:

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Thanks @Watermelons for the discussion and @Salter for processing.

For anyone confused (*ahem*), we needed to drop cap fast. Gaudreau was our biggest contract on the books, and while we lost 1 fp/g, Parayko has a much cheaper salary over the same time period and beefs up our defense while we wait for Makar, Gildon, Saarijarvi, and McIsaac to get to the big leagues.

Am I taking crazy pills here? 

Colton Parayko is signed for 7.5 million until 2022 in our league. Making him slightly MORE expensive than Gaudreau. 

That small retain implies that there is no other retain hidden elsewhere, since we can't do double retains in this league. Meaning you definitely get him for 6.75M this year, followed by his full terrible salary for the duration. 

1 minute ago, Sygvard said:

Am I taking crazy pills here? 

Colton Parayko is signed for 7.5 million until 2022 in our league. Making him slightly MORE expensive than Gaudreau. 

That small retain implies that there is no other retain hidden elsewhere, since we can't do double retains in this league. Meaning you definitely get him for 6.75M this year, followed by his full terrible salary for the duration. 

Edmonton's retained $3m on Parayko until 2022 as well, so :ph34r:

Just now, thejazz97 said:

Edmonton's retained $3m on Parayko until 2022 as well, so :ph34r:

Ah, there we go, that is what we were missing. 

This would probably be an awkward time to remind everyone that double retains are illegal. Once a player has a retain, you can't stick another one on him. Both because the mods didn't want to handle that madness, and because it opened up the possibility of us mining picks on chains of retain. 

Not that it makes a big difference in this case, but that extra little 0.75M is contraband. ;)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

This would probably be an awkward time to remind everyone that double retains are illegal. Once a player has a retain, you can't stick another one on him. Both because the mods didn't want to handle that madness, and because it opened up the possibility of us mining picks on chains of retain. 

Not that it makes a big difference in this case, but that extra little 0.75M is contraband. ;)

When did that change? There have been a ton of trades (especially from me) that result in two teams retaining on a single player. 

J. Staal, and Spezza come to mind with out looking up the trades. 

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

I'll have to check, but I thought it was only that you couldn't have more than 50% retained.

• Cheers 1

Ah! I must have misinterpreted that ruling! Don't mind me then. Between the (already convoluted) CBA and house rules in different leagues, I am entirely muddled. 

Carry on! Nothing to see here. Just a senile Syg. :ph34r:

Edit: Yeah there is the one that muddled me. It was us pointing out that per CBA you can retain below 50% with multiple retainers. Mods ruled not to get into that mess. My brain retrieved it as "no multi-retain". Rather than "no multi-retain below 50". 

Edited by Sygvard
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Ah! I must have misinterpreted that ruling! Don't mind me then. Between the (already convoluted) CBA and house rules in different leagues, I am entirely muddled. 

Carry on! Nothing to see here. Just a senile Syg. :ph34r:

Edit: Yeah there is the one that muddled me. It was us pointing out that per CBA you can retain below 50% with multiple retainers. Mods ruled not to get into that mess. My brain retrieved it as "no multi-retain". Rather than "no multi-retain below 50". 

I mean, feel free to not do multi-retains. It's a pain to process anyway :lol:

• Haha 1

Puck was set up by @Drewismyname to have a dynamic scoring setup (check), to have some basic rules (check), and to allow as much trading as GMs wished for (check). Not having NTCs/NMCs, and allowing multi-retentions, affords the league enormous flexibility.

Drew was literally more forward-thinking than the Commissioner of the real-life NHL :goat:

Edited by Guest

Those design choices dont come without downside though.

Retention has effectively turned into a way for bottom feeding franchises to pay for top teams to basically curcumvent and be millions over the cap when in many cases the value they receive in those trades is far less than optimal to help them rebuild their destroyed rosters.

This kind of system of haves and have nots is exactly why the real life NHL fought for a salary cap and why players have been pushing more and more for ntc and nmc. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Retention has effectively turned into a way for bottom feeding franchises to pay for top teams to basically curcumvent and be millions over the cap when in many cases the value they receive in those trades is far less than optimal to help them rebuild their destroyed rosters.

This kind of system of haves and have nots is exactly why the real life NHL fought for a salary cap and why players have been pushing more and more for ntc and nmc. 

Yeah, but bottom feeder teams won't do it unless they get something worthwhile back. Ottawa got Barzal out of it. I've gotten Guhle out of it. I'm sure there are top prospects I'm missing. Trades are trades. Unless one team is obviously getting hosed, teams basically have a feel for if what they're doing is good for their organization or not.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Just a devils advocate opinion. No disrespect meant.

Always good to have a devil's advocate! :P 

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Yeah, but bottom feeder teams won't do it unless they get something worthwhile back. Ottawa got Barzal out of it. I've gotten Guhle out of it. I'm sure there are top prospects I'm missing. Trades are trades. Unless one team is obviously getting hosed, teams basically have a feel for if what they're doing is good for their organization or not.

Always good to have a devil's advocate! :P 

Personally the more trading the better. It's what makes it interesting for me 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Taking over the team I did, salary retainment was really my only trading card to try to get picks and prospects. If I couldn't do that I'd be left with less picks and a roster that's still terrible. I don't care that top teams are doing well right now as I'm only looking to the future, the playoff seeds for the next season or two are irrelevant to me. Just the view from a team that needed to get creative to have any chance of success down the road.

5 minutes ago, canucklax said:

Taking over the team I did, salary retainment was really my only trading card to try to get picks and prospects. If I couldn't do that I'd be left with less picks and a roster that's still terrible. I don't care that top teams are doing well right now as I'm only looking to the future, the playoff seeds for the next season or two are irrelevant to me. Just the view from a team that needed to get creative to have any chance of success down the road.

Your team it makes sense since it was basically stripped down to the studs previously for not much of value coming back. 

I don’t think any of my significant futures or young roster players were acquired in a trade without rentention?

Barzal - 50% on Karlsson

Jost - 50% on Tatar (via NJ)

Greer - 50% on Cizikas 

Dunn - 50% on Krug

Hart - 3 different players retained in order to make the cap work...

Hell, I turned a near $6 Million a year for 4 more years of Callahan into a 2nd, two 3rds, and 4 prospects. I wasn’t trading him without retention, and I was getting zero value out of having him on my team.

The only instance of retention in this entire league that genuinely is out of control is Weber retained for $1.5M for 9 more years. Or maybe my team retaining nearly $40M last year :lol:

Edited by Art Vandelay