The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 CDC Puck League

thejazz97

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would actually be interested to see if the real NHL has any limits on retention. I thought they had a max number of retentions a team can have on the books at any time but am not sure.

1 team can retain on 3 players max. Only 50% of the “current” cap hit can be retained by one team. 

If done enough times a $8M cap hit could become $250k. Would love this to be put into this league, but understand the hell that would put the commish team in for processing those trades. 

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I thought the cumulative retention was a max of 50% of the full cap hit.

Nope! IRL, no single team can retain more than 50% of the salary that they AQUIRED. If you keep trading you can go 8 to 4 to 2. Its silly and doesn't get done much because it is actual millions and not just numbers in a page. But technically legal. 

I definitely understand why it doesn't happen here though. One step of madness too far! 

Edit: In that CBA screenshot I think the important word is "50% of the REMAINING" 

Edited by Sygvard

5 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Nope! IRL, no single team can retain more than 50% of the salary that they AQUIRED. If you keep trading you can go 8 to 4 to 2 to 1. Its silly and doesn't get done much because it is actual millions and not just numbers in a page. But technically legal. 

I definitely understand why it doesn't happen here though. One step of madness too far! 

There goes my chance at a 23-team trade where I end up with Connor McDavid at $1.49 salary.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Dubnyk had 50% retained by Edm and 25% by Nashville. Iirc

15 January 2014: DD traded from Edmonton to Nashville. Edmonton retained 50% - i.e. $1.75m of $3.5m

5 March 2014: DD traded from Nashville to Montreal. Nashville retained 25% of his salary (applied to the original total).  Predators retained $0.875m.

5 March 2014: DD demoted to AHL; didn't count against Montreal's cap, but counted against Edmonton’s ($1.75m) and Nashville’s ($0.875m)

I think his is the rarest retention story in the league thus far.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would actually be interested to see if the real NHL has any limits on retention. I thought they had a max number of retentions a team can have on the books at any time but am not sure.

Yeah it's three. 

Personally. We have lots of retentions, but set them up to (almost) all run out after this year. On time for the rebuild. Some capped out teams are gonna have a fun time trying to keep wheeler, karlsson, etc. When their payday comes. When we did retain longer than two years (aka backes) we did it for a good return on an asset we really wanted to move. Good player, great producer but ruining the rebuild and long term would be an anchor.

That's a nice trade for Johnny @thejazz97. St Louis is terrifying this year too. Sad you didn't take our deal, but that was a better one.

Edited by Sestito'sHandMadeVodka
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

Personally. We have lots of retentions, but set them up to (almost) all run out after this year. On time for the rebuild. Some capped out teams are gonna have a fun time trying to keep wheeler, karlsson, etc. When their payday comes. When we did retain longer than two years (aka backes) we did it for a good return on an asset we really wanted to move. Good player, great producer but ruining the rebuild and long term would be an anchor.

That's a nice trade for Johnny @thejazz97. St Louis is terrifying this year too. Sad you didn't take our deal, but that was a better one.

Thanks!

I ended up doing the same retentions-wise, except for Dan Girardi and Marian Gaborik, which run out in 2020 and 2021, respectively. But we gain an extra $10m just by letting our retentions slide this year, which will mean we've got room to keep our young guns in McAvoy, Aho, Malgin, etc.

Edited by thejazz97

37 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

fLlMrYG.jpg

On behalf of GM @Baer., the Minnesota Wild are proud to announce the following signings:

Brandon Saigeon - 3 years, $925k

David Hrenak - 3 years, $925k

Josh Dickinson - 3 years, $925k

Brandon Saigeon - Great in the face off circle, full 200ft player, strong on the PK, brilliant sniper especially from the top of the circle on the PP. Played with Hamilton in the memorial cup tournament. Hoping he can jump to AHL right away. Drafted by Colorado.

David Hrenak - Recently completed his freshman season for the St.Cloud Huskies and was 14-7-2 with a 2.11 goals-against average and .919 save percentage. Hrenak was named to the NCHC All-Rookie Team and was an NCHC honorable mention pick as a freshman. Drafted by Los Angeles.

Josh Dickinson - Leaving Clarkson University after his freshman year to sign with the Avalanche. Finished last season on an amateur tryout with the team’s AHL affiliate.

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 1

89C7C4CC-89DD-4887-95E5-98455F01C4C4.jpeg

Current Roster and Top Prospects

Silfverberg - Kopitar - Rust

Fiala - Krejci - Smith

Sheary - Henrique - Tanev

Tatar - Bonino - Callahan

Dumoulin - Myers

Leddy - K. Miller

Russell - Stralman

Goalies:

Fredrik Andersen

Mikko Koskinen

Reserves:

De La Rose

Hainsey

Voynov

Coburn

Chychrun

Top Prospects:

Robert Thomas

Gabe Vilardi

Barrett Hayton

Alexander Volkov

Mathieu Joseph

Zach Senyshen

Evgeny Svechnikov

Sean Day

Dante Fabbro

Sam Girard

Libor Hajek

Miro Heiskanen

Pierre Olivier-Joseph

Marcus Pettersson

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

89C7C4CC-89DD-4887-95E5-98455F01C4C4.jpeg

Current Roster and Top Prospects

Silfverberg - Kopitar - Rust

Fiala - Krejci - Smith

Sheary - Henrique - Tanev

Tatar - Bonino - Callahan

Dumoulin - Myers

Leddy - K. Miller

Russell - Stralman

Reserves:

De La Rose

Hainsey

Voynov

Coburn

Chychrun

Top Prospects:

Robert Thomas

Gabe Vilardi

Barrett Hayton

Alexander Volkov

Mathieu Joseph

Zach Senyshen

Evgeny Svechnikov

Sean Day

Dante Fabbro

Sam Girard

Libor Hajek

Miro Heiskanen

Pierre Olivier-Joseph

Marcus Pettersson

Can't believe you decided to forgo having goalie this year ;) 

• Thanks 1