The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 CDC Puck League

thejazz97

Maybe it was in a different league?  It seems to me we missed out on Serron Noel. He was a guy we were high on drafting. Where did he go in Puck's draft?

We drafted Isac Lundstrom. And are pretty happy with him! (understatement)  

He made the NHL out of camp, even though he is back into a development situation in the NHL.

Noel was just left off the the WJC invite list even for tryout's?

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-announces-world-junior-selection-camp-roster-1.1220060?tsn-amp

Is that a slight? I haven't followed him so much. Since we did not get him. But we were really high on Noel...

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe it was in a different league?  It seems to me we missed out on Serron Noel. He was a guy we were high on drafting. Where did he go in Puck's draft?

We drafted Isac Lundstrom. And are pretty happy with him! (understatement)  

He made the NHL out of camp, even though he is back into a development situation in the NHL.

Noel was just left off the the WJC invite list even for tryout's?

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-announces-world-junior-selection-camp-roster-1.1220060?tsn-amp

Is that a slight? I haven't followed him so much. Since we did not get him. But we were really high on Noel...

I took him with a late 1st. I thought he'd be worthy of an invite, but then again, Canada went without guys like Glass and Suzuki last year who many considered locks.

Would've been nice to see Noel there but I'm confident he'll be a productive player. Already on a much better point pace, and has a big frame which bodes well for Puck's scoring system.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Salter said:

To CHI: Jacob Trouba + Derick Brassard + Daniel Brickley + 2020 CBJ 2nd

To CBJ: Craig Smith + Brandon Tanev + Mathieu Joseph

Thanks to @Monty for the negotiations, and to @Salter for processing.

At first this trade looks clearly in favour of Chicago, but I feel I got good value here. 3 players on contenders, who are under team control for another year+. Smith has 50% retention this year and next, Tanev produces very well in this league (and was a BEAST last playoffs) for only $2 mil, and Joseph (who I'm a really big fan of) is a waivers-ineligible Tampa player...that's solid gold IMO.

Trouba is obviously the best player in the deal, but he's going to need a raise I couldn't afford. I also still have lots of solid D-depth, but now have plenty of depth up front as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/28/2018 at 2:48 PM, Salter said:

mD3TYLz.jpg

To CBJ: Jacob Trouba ($1,050,000 retained) , Nick Foligno (50% retained, this year and next)

To SJS: Liam Foudy, Devon Toews, Michael Amadio, Mathieu Perrault, Brett Ritchie, and 2020 ARZ 2nd

6 hours ago, Salter said:

mD3TYLz.jpg&key=955107356c86cfbb2ddb0c19

To CHI: Jacob Trouba + Derick Brassard + Daniel Brickley + 2020 CBJ 2nd

To CBJ: Craig Smith + Brandon Tanev + Mathieu Joseph

So I get heat for trading away a guy after a month, how bad is flipping a high end player within a week?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canucklax said:

So treating players fairly only occurs for one type of transaction?

A player chooses to sign with a team. A player does not choose to be traded. That’s the only difference. 

If RL Toronto traded Tavares (insert any FA), RL free agents would be less likely to sign there in the future, which is the punishment for sign and trades in this league. However RL players are not less likely to be traded to SJ, because they have no choice in the matter. Even if they think they will be moved again just like Hoffman.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

A player chooses to sign with a team. A player does not choose to be traded. That’s the only difference. 

If RL Toronto traded Tavares (insert any FA), RL free agents would be less likely to sign there in the future, which is the punishment for sign and trades in this league. However RL players are not less likely to be traded to SJ, because they have no choice in the matter. Even if they think they will be moved again just like Hoffman.

If the issue is the players not being treated well, how does it matter how they got to the team? I think it would be fair to be skeptical of a team flipping players whether its after signing or after getting traded there. 

1 minute ago, canucklax said:

If the issue is the players not being treated well, how does it matter how they got to the team? I think it would be fair to be skeptical of a team flipping players whether its after signing or after getting traded there. 

Trading a player who signed just with you, would and should be considered “bad faith”.

Which in business is an ethical guideline (most times actual law), where, when you sign legal documents or go into legal agreements, that you have the intention to fulfill that obligation.

Trading someone right after you signed them can be seen as bad faith to outsiders. Do I or anyone else really know what someone’s intentions were?

In other words, it’s unfair to the other party (the player).

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, canucklax said:

So I get heat for trading away a guy after a month, how bad is flipping a high end player within a week?

@thejazz97 has been involved in 87% of trades in Puck history - if this was RL @Master Mind and I would have clubbed together to send him to rehab by now.

15 hours ago, canucklax said:

15 hours ago, D-Money said:

I didn't sign him. Big difference.

Yeah teams do the trade flip all the time. Giving up an asset for a player, then selling him again. Good old Hoffman this year. Never made any promises to the player. Possibly never even TALKED to the guy. Gave up something for him, got something for him. He backs his bags, and still gets to make his own choice when he hits UFA. 

Signing him generally implies discussions and a choice. You talked him into joining the team. Gave his agent (and the mods) a statement of where you see him playing, why you want him, what opportunities and payment he will get. He presumably chooses your team, gives up other opportunities to be there. Burns one if his very few chances at choosing where he wants to play. Then boom, smoke and mirrors. It was all a lie and he is flipped for a pick. 

Plus, league balance wise: It makes it harder to farm assets out of nothing by signing and trading. Trade and flip less so, since you gave up something to get him. 

• Upvote 2