The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 19 Thread

goalie13

19 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

alright CDC, lay it on me.

I played NHL 18 quite abit but overall found it average. I mainly play franchise with some HUT thrown in. Is 19 worth it for essentially those 2 game modes alone or should is stick with 18 until 20. Seen alot of mixed reviews online. 

Im one of those who said I'd at least wait to buy it, but bought it earlier than expected. Wish I didn't. 

HUT is fine but nothing incredible compared to last year, the new features in franchise seem like things that will be turned off the 3rd time you play. 

I just won the cup in 21/22 with this roster. Created Hughes before starting at like 75 overall with low elite status. Didn't change anything else and by 2022 playoffs this was my roster:

Goldobin (82) - Horvat (90) - Boeser (91)

Marleau (83) - Pettersson (91) - Dahlen (84)

Leipsic (81) - Lind (82) - Virtanen (81)

Gadjovich (79) - Gaudette (78) - True (76)

Hughes (87) - Pietrangelo (91)

Tanev (85) - Juolevi (87)

Hutton (80) - DeMelo (76)

Stecher (74)

Demko (88)

Markstrom (84)

Hughes won playoff MVP. Lol. 

I did make the conference finals and lose a couple seasons ago but this is the first time winning the cup. All through simming. 

Edited by DollarAndADream

6 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I played NHL 18 quite abit but overall found it average. I mainly play franchise with some HUT thrown in. Is 19 worth it for essentially those 2 game modes alone or should is stick with 18 until 20. Seen alot of mixed reviews online. 

I got bored of 18 but have been playing the hell out of 19. Mostly EASHL and Franchise with some HUT mixed in. 

12 hours ago, shayster007 said:

The whole new player interactions make the game so much better. Now you can play positionally and dont need to poke check nearly as much. You can lean into them without hitting and make them lose the puck. I got a ton of tripping penalties from poke checking but in this game, u can really cut down on the number of times you need to poke check because of the improved positional play. I've had several times in games where the puck changes stick 10-12 times the neutral zone as people make body contact or do slight poke checks. I find I am using the poke checking button now more for "controlling space" and for trying to shut down an outside lane to the net. 

The player's animation for skating at first looks really weird but... man you can really man the point on the PP now. The edging on the ice is fantastic you can really make some nice plays.  All in all the gameplay is dramatically better in my experience although challenging to score at first. I have a lot of 3 or 2 goal games now. Much better than 18 which seemed like 6-7 goal games all the time. I also have been using the 3 minute period options and man itis nice lol.

The new scouting/draft engine is fantastic. It really only adds to the depth of the franchise mode and takes you deeper into the GM world. Trade values I feel are a little more realistic as well. The fog of war is really nice. I personally modified it since it seemed unrealistic to now know the overalls of players in the NHL and their given roles. So I turn those 2 things to on but I keep potential, attributes, character assessment etc all to be scouted. Is it worth the $90?  It would depend on how often you play it. 

If you are someone who plays once or twice a week for a couple hours.. I would suggest getting it maybe in December when the game likely goes on sale for $40 + tax. If you are hardcore and play it on a near basis and you can financially afford it. I would say its worth it. The $92 it cost with taxes to buy it was steep but I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it so far. So far I have played 17 games in my franchise mode, a few test games, and spent 2 days deciding on who I was going to take in the draft and what order. Now I have a grip on the draft/scout system the next time will be much smoother. Great game, hard to spend $92 on any game but if you get good replay value it would be worth considering.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone seen what Henrik Borgstrom becomes in 19?

I did an expansion draft as Kansas City and I'm looking to shore up my guys mid way through season one. Victor Fast my third line C isn't interested in an extension at this point. I am considering moving him if I can get someone to fill in for my third line role.

I signed a guy named Gibbons to check him out in the role he has similar speed and offensive awareness. Borgstrom could be a nice add for my farm team. (Top 6 potential I believe)

I have zero good centre prospects except for Ivan Barbashev and my converted winger and former 3rd overall cpu generated player. I have barbs on wing at the moment.

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Has anyone seen what Henrik Borgstrom becomes in 19?

I did an expansion draft as Kansas City and I'm looking to shore up my guys mid way through season one. Victor Fast my third line C isn't interested in an extension at this point. I am considering moving him if I can get someone to fill in for my third line role.

I signed a guy named Gibbons to check him out in the role he has similar speed and offensive awareness. Borgstrom could be a nice add for my farm team. (Top 6 potential I believe)

I have zero good centre prospects except for Ivan Barbashev and my converted winger and former 3rd overall cpu generated player. I have barbs on wing at the moment.

Nevermind this lol. I saw Yann Gourde was still unsigned and holding out for more cash. So after some discussion Tampa they agreed to trade him for the more cost effective Victor Fast.

Trade details:

KS

Yann Gourde

TBL

Victor Fast

2021 3rd

Jakob Lauko (Med Top 9 Forward)

It was a steep price to pay but we needed someone with a higher hockey sense in our top 6 and fast was refusing to consider extension talks. Inked Gourde to a 1 year 2.7m contract. I am hopeful we can re up him come the new year.

My rookie sensation Marrku Granlund started off strong with 8 points in 10 games but fell cold with only 2 more points over his next 8 games. Granlund is now back on wing alongside Krejci.

Lines are as follows:

Granlund-Krejci-Nyquist

Gourde-Barbashev-Williams

Jaskins-B.Ritchie-Eaves

McGinn-Pyatt-Connolly

Dunn-Stralman

Martinez-Braun

Zboril-Belieau

Korpisalo

Bernier

Scratches are Gibbons (free agent), Hayes, and Esterle.

Our pk is at 94% best in the NHL.

Our pp is at 26.7% 3rd in the NHL.

Granlund had 2 points (1G 1A) next to Krejci in their first game together. Yann Gourde also got a goal in our 3-0 shutout over Chicago. Gourde is so fast and clutch. He netted a beautiful 5 hole shot off a rebound. 

This game still feels like it is in beta mode. Not sure if anyone here has noticed, but EASHL has been super sloppy and glitchy. So many screens where it is constantly loading, or teammates glitching out of games prior to puck drop. Absolutely frustrating and a big waste of time.

• Upvote 1

OK, here's a goofy one.  (Playing Franchise mode)

I often notice that in the dying seconds of the game, if there is a faceoff, in between the whistle and the faceoff I lose a second off the clock.

Anyone else notice that?

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

OK, here's a goofy one.  (Playing Franchise mode)

I often notice that in the dying seconds of the game, if there is a faceoff, in between the whistle and the faceoff I lose a second off the clock.

Anyone else notice that?

I haven't noticed it yet but I'll keep an eye out tomorrow when I play. Hmm interesting.

Tried franchise mode.  Brought back the Whalers.  I think the funniest part was getting Adam Larsson in the expansion draft then trading him back to the Oilers for a 1st.  Also any unassigned 18yo's you make appear in the draft which is kind of cool.  I saw Erik Karlsson was a free agent so I signed and traded him back to the sharks.  All in all the team you get from the expansion draft isn't that great and after 2 years of simming it needs a lot of work.  First year I was last place by 20 points, won the lottery and took Kaapo 1st overall and drafted an elite Dman 11th overall with the Edmonton pick.  After two years I have the top goalie prospect, second best D prospect (behind Dahlin) and two of the top 3 forward prospects.   

The new scouting and fog of war is sweet, though I turn player type on because that should be common knowledge.  Player search is also a sweet function, looking at all the top players under 21 and then being able to trade for them off that screen was a nice addition.  Arena creation was nice, I liked they added generic rock songs because the soundtrack is atrocious.  And they finally allow you to edit player positions and roles, that's probably the best addition.  I traded Yann Gourde and some picks back to Tampa for Callahan(cap dump) and Brayden Point and made Point a RW sniper instead of a PLY center.

PSA - Watch out when you create a team.  I had the game freeze multiple times while editing the jerseys.  First time I wasted an hour, so after you edit the home jerseys better save the team before you go on the to the away jerseys.

All and all I got to say I am really impressed with the new franchise mode.  Even little things like seeing a prospects stats in the minors is a welcome addition.  I wonder if they brought in new blood for this series because it seems like a totally different game from 2 years ago. 

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, ftmN said:

1.5gb update for "Various bug fixes, tuning, and improvements". Thanks for the details EA.

Yeah I couldn't find anything on it either.  Hopefully one of them was fixing the crashing issues when you create/edit jerseys. 

Do you guys ever trade the 1st overall pick?  I tried to see what I could get trading down for the #2 pick and all I could muster was a 1st(2nd overall) and 2nd rounder.  I guess it's not that bad but was hoping for a little more.  Worked out because the 1st overall was someone that I didn't like (I hate twf's) and the guy I picked 2nd had a 'gem' rating.  How does the gem/bust thing work out?  I got two gems, the other was a 4th rounder that instantly slotted on the 2nd line of my AHL team.

Edited by Tre Mac

Hey everyone, there will be a patch for NHL 19 available soon (expected availability is October 4th). This is the patch that will implement Club Challenges into World of Chel, along with some HUT quality of life improvements.

Here are the full list of patch notes for 1.2.0

Hockey Ultimate Team

• Added a new Autofill mechanic to Sets to improve the Set redemption flow
    • You can now Autofill your sets with one of two options:
      • Autofill
      • Autofill Duplicates only
    • You will be able to confirm the completion, should you want to swap any items out.
  • Added Quick Apply options for Contract and Healing items
    • You will now be able to quickly apply contracts and healing items to your players through the “Apply Consumables” option in the Edit Lineup flow.
  • Added OT lines as editable lines
  • Updated Auction House and Collection Search Flow
    • You will now be able to set and change your search filters in the same screen that you view the items in the Auction House or Collection Search
  • Added Position labels to edit lines to indicate what position a card is playing in.

World of CHEL

• Added Private Matchmaking PIN to Drop-in and Club Dressing Rooms (feature to replace old Club Challenge system) MORE INFO
  • Online Player Indicators setting will now showing 6 unique colors for the opposing team rather than showing the same colors as your own team to prevent confusion
  • Fixed an issue in Drop-in where when a user sometimes joined an existing session from matchmaking it would prevent all users from entering gameplay
  • Fixed an issue where the game can crash for some users who remain in a 6v6 Clubs game once the game has fallen below the minimum number of users
  • Fixed an intro cut scene issue in Pro-Am where the crowd would pop into the scene
  • Fixed an issue where unlockable preset goal horns weren’t triggering in Pro-Am games
  • Fixed an issue where unlockable goal horns do not play when scoring as the away team in 3v3 Drop-in
  • Fixed an issue where backing out of the matchup screen to the Dressing Room and then opening the matchmaking settings screen would cause a UI lockup
  • Fixed an issue where the goal songs weren’t being randomized in Drop-in 6v6 or 3v3
  • Fixed an issue where the user may hang after playing a Drop-in 3v3 game and return to the Dressing Room
  • Fixed an issue where the EASHL logo would remain on screen during the intro NIS if multiple consoles selected to skip the intro cut scene
  • Fixed the issues that caused controls and visual settings to be reset after playing Pro-Am games
  • Fixed an issue where users who are invited to play in a club game will wear that club’s uniform in the Dressing Room screens
  • Fixed an issue where all traits are listed under Offense when first entering the Edit Loadout screen from the Dressing Room
  • Fixed an issue where traits filters stop working after the user quickly switches between tabs
  • Fixed an issue where hair colors were not updating correctly on the 3D character in Edit/Customize Pro
  • Fixed an issue where Clubs goalie equipment/appearance does not carry into gameplay for CPU goalies
  • Fixed an issue where the Points stat category wasn’t tracking correctly in the Drop-in HUB
  • Fixed an issue where sometimes a row of stadium chairs is present in Dressing Room when backing out of Customize Club
  • Fixed an issue where the Ones rewards bags were showing the same bag art even though they were different in content
  • Fixed an issue where certain cameras had clipping issues in Junior Stadium 1
  • Changed some of the goalie pom-pom toque patterns to resolve a few seam issues
  • Fixed an issue where the roll over timer was still active in the Pro-Am post game flow
  • Fixed an issue where too many slots where being shown in the dressing room once everyone was Ready
  • Added a trophy win cut-scene for completing Pro-Am tournaments
  • Added the Action Tracker and Box score to the Pause Menus within World of CHEL
  • Polished up animations in the Player/Club progression in the post-game flow
  • Added additional Casual Jerseys to earn through hockey bags:
    • Anaheim Ducks Alternate Jersey
    • Arizona Coyotes Alternate Jersey
    • Buffalo Sabres Alternate Jersey
    • Carolina Hurricanes Alternate Jersey
    • Montreal Canadiens Classic Jersey
    • New Jersey Devils Alternate Jersey
    • New York Rangers Stadium Jersey
    • Ottawa Senators Alternate Jersey
    • Philadelphia Flyers Alternate Jersey
    • St. Louis Blues Alternate Jersey
    • Toronto Maple Leafs Alternate Jersey
    • Toronto Maple Leafs Stadium Jersey
    • Washington Capitals Stadium Jersey

Creation Zone

• Added over 40 Adidas template uniforms

GAMEPLAY

AI

• Fixed some cases where the AI would not target the puck correctly on poke checks
  • Fixed a case where the AI would get stuck behind the net in Threes
  • Improvements made to the AI to divert them away from the net when picking up the puck around their goaltender
  • Fixed some cases where players would divert away from the boards during some breakouts
  • Improvements made to make the CPU win the faceoff towards a teammate more reliably when there is only one defenseman
  • Improvements to teammate puck support in board play

Defensive Skill Stick / Poke Checking

• Fixed added to ensure you won't trip a skater when exiting/blending out of Crouch Block
  • Fixed some cases where players would get called for tripping while a goaltender is carrying the puck
  • Fixed various cases where Defensive Skill Stick was not going to the location where the Right Stick was held before going into Defensive Skill Stick

General

• Fixed some cases where passes off backhand would play a forehand animation unexpectedly
  • Fixed a case where a user would rarely lose control of their player off a line change
  • Fixes made to faceoff formations
  • Improvements made to increase the consistency of player switching
  • Fixed cases where goalie interference was being called even after the goalie was able to fully recover
  • Various coach feedback tuning and bug fixes
  • Various desync fixes

Goalies

• Fixed a case where a user goalie could get stuck in the paddle down position
  • Fixed a case where a user goalie would temporarily lose the functionality to poke check
  • Reduced the dead zone on the left stick which was causing inconsistent movement on precision pushes
  • Various improvements made to puck cover consistency
  • Various improvements made to tracking possessed pucks on breakaways
  • Various goalie animation fixes

Physics

• Improvements made to prevent skaters from being unable to get up when they are knocked down
  • Fixed a case where a user would rarely lose control of their player when knocked down
  • Improvements made to rebalance ‘get up’ and ‘stumble’ timings after a collision
  • Improvements made to a variety of ‘get up’ animations

Pickups

• Various improvements made to pickup animations
  • Improvements made to puck pickup consistency
  • Change to make players a bit more aggressive pivoting to forward to receive passes
  • Applied a change to make players slightly more aggressive when they are pivoting to forward to receive a pass
  • Applied changes to make players not reach as much on loose pucks as they were leaving the player too vulnerable

Shooting

• Improvements to shot blending out of dekes to improve consistency
  • Fix for players sometimes turning to shot target before attempting one timer
  • Various shooting animation improvements

Skating

• Removed the ability to backhand toe drag when back skating
  • Improvements to make vision control more consistent
  • Various skater animation fixes
  • Improvements made to skater animations for when a skater is going into an idle animation from a stop
  • Fixed an issue that was causing spin-o-rama to rotate further than intended
  • Changes made to pivot speed to make it more affected by player rating
  • Various skating transition fixes

Specializations

• Various specialization bug fixes and tuning

GAME MODES/PRESENTATION

Franchise Mode

• Improved CPU-team signing logic. Teams will now try to reserve cap space for pending RFAs and UFAs on their roster.
  • Improved salary demands of players to be more in-line with the real world
  • Improved defenseman scoring in Franchise Mode during sims
  • More accurate TOI/G for European prospects
  • Updated Amateur Scouting Strengths and Weakness reports to reduce the amount of Reach weaknesses generated
  • Added a popup at the beginning of the pre-season to remind the user to assign scouts
  • Added a popup at the beginning of the re-sign phase to remind the user to re-sign their Scouts
  • Fixed an issue where the user can hire scouts when they were not allowed to
  • Fixed a crash during Expansion Mode team creation
  • Added player handedness and player type as Player Search filter options
  • Fixed an issue where the Draft Board became unusable after pinning 20-year-old undrafted players who became Free Agents
  • Added a pop-up in the Roster Moves screen that tells the user if a player was claimed off waivers
  • Added Scout Depth Chart to the Hire Scouts screen
  • Added Team Depth Chart to Region Assignment screen
  • Fixed an issue where overall did not show in the Retain Salary screen when Fog of War was off
  • During the pre-season, minimum salary cap rules are no longer enforced
  • Fixed an issue where retired players did not show their last reports on the Retirements screen
  • Fixed an issue where Free Agents that needed an Entry-Level contract did not show under the 2-way filter
  • Player style column added to Free Agents screen
  • Fixed an issue where the user could not use the triggers to swap player cards on the Make Pick screen at the Draft
  • Added a banner on the Amateur player card that shows if that player is being scouted
  • Added functionality to the player card that allows the user to press up/down to navigate pages
  • Added functionality to the Amateur player card that allows the user to open Full Career Stats for Amateur players
  • UX Improvements to the Assign Scout and Select Prospects screen
  • Miscellaneous UI/UX Improvements throughout the mode
  • Improved how the CPU will handout Entry level contracts to lower end drafted players
  • Improved logic in how the CPU will put Goalies on the trade block when having 2 starters on the team
  • Improved junior goalies’ games played stats

Online Versus

• Disabled Position lock for “competitive” Versus games. Users can still position lock in co-op/casual games

Uniforms
The following jerseys have been added to NHL 19:

• NHL
    • New Jersey Devils Alternate
    • St. Louis Blues Alternate
  • EBEL
    • HC Orli Znojmo Home and Away

Bolded the important improvements(imo).  Good work EA.  In my franchise a lot of RFA's were not playing because their respective teams simply didn't have any cap space left lol. 

34 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Bolded the important improvements(imo).  Good work EA.  In my franchise a lot of RFA's were not playing because their respective teams simply didn't have any cap space left lol. 

Yeah I had several guys in the first season including one I ended up trading for in Yanni Gourde. 

Several big names including Perlini, Gourde etc. After a dozen games I just grabbed him so he wouldn't sit idle. They got some useful assets they could afford too.

Found this on twitter lol

Played franchise last night, the changes worked great.  Noticed when I made some trades that teams were declining stating they were saving cap to resign.  Half way through my second season I blew up my expansion team and acquired 11 picks(mostly 3rd/4th rounders).  Then I put every scout on amateur duties and drafted based off of potential.  So far my two best picks have been a franchise goalie 30th overall, and a sniper in the 2nd round, both were tagged 'gem' by my scouts. 

Anyone notice the be a pro mode is a little to easy? I started a 2 way defender at the men cup. The Portland Winterhawks and I qualified for the finals but fell to the Bulldogs. (1 point in 4 Games)

I was solid defensively and stuck up for teammates even resulting in a hand injury in the process. I ended up getting drafted by Dallas 13 overall but somehow I managed to become the teams #1 D man well only potting one goal and one assist in the pre season.

I was on the ice for numerous bad goals and penalties. When 3 on 3 starts up I'm first out ahead of Klingberg. Feels unrealistic for my performance. I typically find franchise mode challenging on all star with my bad teams but it seems to easy to make the top pairing in be a pro.

Anyone else notice how easy it is? I wanted to get sent back to Jr but Dallas kept me for their top pairing. <_<  I've requested a trade because I can't stand Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin for their Sedin sister comments. They are denying me until I get more games under my belt.

I think they messed up the skating as far as gameplay. Its like they are hopping around and there slow down instantly when you let off the stick rather than gliding a bit.

I was having trouble with adjusting to the defensive positioning and not needing to pokecheck. I adjusted but was still getting some bad calls on like a slash or high stick when you stick lift in a perfect position. I think it was because the penalties were set to 3/4 though so I adjusted that. Annoying having so many penalties called.

Still getting used to the positioning and new skating a bit on superstar but I do think the skating sucks. The positioning is alot better. Gameplay took 2 steps forward and 1 step back IMO.

As far as franchise mode, I like the fog of war and the drafting but its very confusing trying to scout. I think they could have done a better job laying out the scouting and the menu's/marked list when it comes to pro scouting. 

Overall the game is alright. I'll see how I feel when I get used to it more but right not its not like so good that I can't put it down. I bought it the other day & thought I'd be playing it more than I have.