The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Didn't Hughes shoot over 100 mph at the Superskills as a rookie? I think Sat and Ricci are forgetting that. He has a great shot--just needs to use it more.

I have a hard time believing Quinn can crest 100mph with his shot now, let alone as a rookie. Absolutely love the kid, he will go down as the best D-man we’ve ever had. But….his shot is akin to a word starting with “m” and rhyming with “puffin”. What I’m saying here is that I respectfully disagree with your assessment of hit shot velocity. ::D

21 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I have a hard time believing Quinn can crest 100mph with his shot now, let alone as a rookie. Absolutely love the kid, he will go down as the best D-man we’ve ever had. But….his shot is akin to a word starting with “m” and rhyming with “puffin”. What I’m saying here is that I respectfully disagree with your assessment of hit shot velocity. ::D

Well, unfortunately, I can't find any video evidence, so I can't prove anything, but my memory says that if not 100 mph, he was shooting at least in the high 90s MPH. I remember being quite surprised, given Quinn's diminutive stature.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Well, unfortunately, I can't find any video evidence, so I can't prove anything, but my memory says that if not 100 mph, he was shooting at least in the high 90s MPH. I remember being quite surprised, given Quinn's diminutive stature.

I think you are getting mixed up with EP40 hitting a 102mph shot at the 2020 AllStar skills comp 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wexcar said:

I think you are getting mixed up with EP40 hitting a 102mph shot at the 2020 AllStar skills comp 

There was that, but I'm pretty sure I'm also thinking Hughes shot like 97-99 or something. Alas, it's all hearsay unless I somehow find proof.

1 minute ago, dougieL said:

I can't watch this video (I don't live in Canada). Can someone please list a few main points from the interview? Hughes is my favorite player so I try to listen to every one of his interviews.

Hughes willing to play left or right side

"There's more opportunities for me on the right side to get my feet moving at the [offensive-zone] blue line," he said. "I find myself on the left side getting stationary sometimes."

"I'm on my forehand on the [right] side and I can backwards skate and take it down the wall," said the seventh overall pick at the 2018 NHL draft. "If a pass comes across, I can just cut in on my forehand and shoot. On the [left] side, I have to put it on my backhand and open up — I don't really have many options.

"The good thing is I can play both [left and right] in the same game."

"It's probably a little bit tougher [on the right]," Hughes, who will also have to adapt in his own end, responded with a grin. "At the same time, if I'm on the left, I'm playing with a really good partner in Luke Schenn.

"I'll play left or right, it doesn't matter."

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hughes willing to play left or right side

"There's more opportunities for me on the right side to get my feet moving at the [offensive-zone] blue line," he said. "I find myself on the left side getting stationary sometimes."

"I'm on my forehand on the [right] side and I can backwards skate and take it down the wall," said the seventh overall pick at the 2018 NHL draft. "If a pass comes across, I can just cut in on my forehand and shoot. On the [left] side, I have to put it on my backhand and open up — I don't really have many options.

"The good thing is I can play both [left and right] in the same game."

"It's probably a little bit tougher [on the right]," Hughes, who will also have to adapt in his own end, responded with a grin. "At the same time, if I'm on the left, I'm playing with a really good partner in Luke Schenn.

"I'll play left or right, it doesn't matter."

Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Just listening to Quinn Hughes gives you confidence. If he says he can play either side, you gotta tend to believe him. Sounds like he had a great summer's

training. He said his shot is getting better. That would be tremendous as he does get into position to let it rip often on the PP. Makes everything more difficult

for the other teams if they know his shot is more dangerous now. Opens up options as the PP will be even harder to defend against.

Last year he wanted to prove his defensive game. Maybe this year he wants to match up with Makar again by scoring more. If anyone can do what they put their mind to it's Quinn. 

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Just listening to Quinn Hughes gives you confidence. If he says he can play either side, you gotta tend to believe him. Sounds like he had a great summer's

training. He said his shot is getting better. That would be tremendous as he does get into position to let it rip often on the PP. Makes everything more difficult

for the other teams if they know his shot is more dangerous now. Opens up options as the PP will be even harder to defend against.

He really epitomizes quiet confidence. Doesn't make noise about how great he is, but also doesn't shy away from expressing his belief that he can be one of the best D in the league.

• Cheers 1

At this stage, the Canucks have two legit superstars...Hughes and Demko. 

If Pettersson plays like he did in the final 30 games of 2021-2022 for a full 82 game schedule in 2022-23, then the Canucks can lay claim to 3.  Throw in Miller, Horvat and an improved Boeser, you've got six returning Canucks that are in the tier 1 and tier 2 stars in the NHL.

Pretty good foundation to build on.  But a lot hinges on Pettersson taking the next step. Canucks need a 100+ point season from Pettersson.

Right side or left, Hughes is already a superstar.  And he's only going to get better, IMHO.

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

At this stage, the Canucks have two legit superstars...Hughes and Demko. 

If Pettersson plays like he did in the final 30 games of 2021-2022 for a full 82 game schedule in 2022-23, then the Canucks can lay claim to 3.  Throw in Miller, Horvat and an improved Boeser, you've got six returning Canucks that are in the tier 1 and tier 2 stars in the NHL.

Pretty good foundation to build on.  But a lot hinges on Pettersson taking the next step. Canucks need a 100+ point season from Pettersson.

Right side or left, Hughes is already a superstar.  And he's only going to get better, IMHO.

I guess it depends on what you're standard of "superstar" is, but I think Miller was pretty dang close last year, if not at that level. 9th in the NHL in scoring (13th in points-per-game), while receiving a small amount of Selke attention too. That's superstar calibre to me.