The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He was probably talking about his defense. His offense is terrific. 

His defense isn't worse either, arguably. His takeaways-per-game have gone from .52 to .71 and his giveaways per game have dropped from .60 to .57. Both his +/- and possession metrics appear a little worse, but then, our team is also worse.

His shot blocking, while still quite low, has also increased notably from 0.7 blocks per game up to 1.0 blocks per game, the highest rate he's ever been at in his career. Finally, he's also getting more use on the PK than he has in past years, though, admittedly with very poor results.

All in all, I'd say at worst, his defense is the same as last year and his offense is improved and you could even work an argument to say that his defense is a tiny bit better than last year.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

His defense isn't worse either, arguably. His takeaways-per-game have gone from .52 to .71 and his giveaways per game have dropped from .60 to .57. Both his +/- and possession metrics appear a little worse, but then, our team is also worse.

His shot blocking, while still quite low, has also increased notably from 0.7 blocks per game up to 1.0 blocks per game, the highest rate he's ever been at in his career. Finally, he's also getting more use on the PK than he has in past years, though, admittedly with very poor results.

All in all, I'd say at worst, his defense is the same as last year and his offense is improved and you could even work an argument to say that his defense is a tiny bit better than last year.

We'll his size is detrimental in the crease. And bigger forwards do take advantage of him at times. As far as playoffs those traits will be a hindrance on us staying competitive in a long series. 

We cannot always outscore our way to a win. It's why Bear was out of position imo going to support Quinn on his side. Jack ate that ice up. I'd try him at forward and stick Wolanin back there for a couple games just to see. 

We're not going anywhere so wouldn't hurt to try. 

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We'll his size is detrimental in the crease. And bigger forwards do take advantage of him at times. As far as playoffs those traits will be a hindrance on us staying competitive in a long series. 

We cannot always outscore our way to a win. It's why Bear was out of position imo going to support Quinn on his side. Jack ate that ice up. I'd try him at forward and stick Wolanin back there for a couple games just to see. 

We're not going anywhere so wouldn't hurt to try. 

Well my point wasn't to say that he's exceptional defensively or big, but to point out that compared to last year (which many considered his best year to date), his defensive numbers aren't much worse.

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hughes continues to quietly have the greatest season a Canuck defenseman has ever had.

I'm gonna do my Norris evaluation soon and I'm excited to see how much he's improved since the halfway mark. No Canucks defenseman has finished higher than 6th in Norris voting (Jovo did it twice). I think there's a chance Hughes could finish 5th this year, depending on what the voters value in a defenseman.

On another note, depending on how hot he finishes the year Hughes could be as high as 6th among Canucks defensemen in points by the end of this season, already passing names like Jovanovski, Salo, and Bieksa.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm gonna do my Norris evaluation soon and I'm excited to see how much he's improved since the halfway mark. No Canucks defenseman has finished higher than 6th in Norris voting (Jovo did it twice). I think there's a chance Hughes could finish 5th this year, depending on what the voters value in a defenseman.

On another note, depending on how hot he finishes the year Hughes could be as high as 6th among Canucks defensemen in points by the end of this season, already passing names like Jovanovski, Salo, and Bieksa.

I’d have him 3rd, quite honestly, based on my own criteria.

Not that I expect Norris voters to agree. 

But, as far as the numbers, I believe Hughes currently sits third in defenceman points/game and he’s also third in total GAR/WAR.

That’s gotta get him some attention.

Only Karlsson and Dahlin are having better seasons IMO.

I was actually just looking at his page on Evolving Hockey and their analytics peg Hughes’ contributions to-date this season at $18.4 million in value. :blink:

(Karlsson BTW is rated at $18.9M and Dahlin $19.7M.)

Hughes could easily be over $20M in on-ice value (stats-based) by season’s end.

I think we sometimes forget how good he is.

Or just how much surplus value we’re actually getting right now on his $7.85M AAV contract.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d have him 3rd, quite honestly, based on my own criteria.

Not that I expect Norris voters to agree. 

But, as far as the numbers, I believe Hughes currently sits third in defenceman points/game and he’s also third in total GAR/WAR.

That’s gotta get him some attention.

Only Karlsson and Dahlin are having better seasons IMO.

I was actually just looking at his page on Evolving Hockey and their analytics peg Hughes’ contributions to-date this season at $18.4 million in value. :blink:

(Karlsson BTW is rated at $18.9M and Dahlin $19.7M.)

Hughes could easily be over $20M in on-ice value (stats-based) by season’s end.

I think we sometimes forget how good he is.

Or just how much surplus value we’re actually getting right now on his $7.85M AAV contract.

My analysis implies that Karlsson's season so far is all offense and not that much defense, but I'm probably looking at different stats.

Dahlin looks to be the complete package however and is my guess to win it. I think I tend to value defense more than most Norris voters, though I know there are a few metrics I'd like to add to my analyses, but are unfortunately behind paywalls.

4 hours ago, Muttley said:

FqbWTtZXwAIgiMe?format=jpg&name=small

I wonder if Makar can catch him on this one. Makar has beaten the majority of these "fewest games" records set by Hughes, but Hughes does seem to be a bit better when it comes to getting assists, so maybe this one will be his own.

11 hours ago, Bell said:

The kid is an absolute monster.  Does anyone like Coffey

Coffey had much more support than Hughes has had to date. That said Coffey’s end to end rushes, with speed, were a sight to see. Let’s not forget the greatest of all, Robert Gordon Orr. 

Neither Quinn or Makar are there yet. I don’t see enough of Makar to know where he is going. His concussion history is very concerning. Hughes has avoided that type of injury mostly. With a stronger team I can see Quinn hitting hundred point seasons.  My goodness he can dominate now his future is incredibly bright.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Coffey had much more support than Hughes has had to date. That said Coffey’s end to end rushes, with speed, were a sight to see. Let’s not forget the greatest of all, Robert Gordon Orr. 

Neither Quinn or Makar are there yet. I don’t see enough of Makar to know where he is going. His concussion history is very concerning. Hughes has avoided that type of injury mostly. With a stronger team I can see Quinn hitting hundred point seasons.  My goodness he can dominate now his future is incredibly bright.

I think adding Hronek will add to Quinn's long term health.  They will have another legit guy to chase around

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Bobby was a puck carrier. Quinn is more of a passer. I think Makar is more a puck carrier too. Other than Coffee (puck carrier) I cant think of many puck carrying (superstar) D who don’t have injuries end their careers early. It’s kind of akin to a running (NFL) QB instead of a pocket passer. Sooner or later (sadly) those guys using their legs to move play get injured. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bobby was a puck carrier. Quinn is more of a passer. I think Makar is more a puck carrier too. Other than Coffee (puck carrier) I cant think of many puck carrying (superstar) D who don’t have injuries end their careers early. It’s kind of akin to a running (NFL) QB instead of a pocket passer. Sooner or later (sadly) those guys using their legs to move play get injured. 

The knees Alf. They always go for the knees. Orr was famous for the in and out to get around defenders. Hmmmm something like McDavie. Orr took a lot of hits to the knees doing that.