The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Muttley said:

kpdd88lmv0p91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

giphy.webp

Cool, but inaccurate IMO. Hughes isn't fast, he's agile. His acceleration is very strong as well as his agility, but I don't think his top speed is overly impressive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:14 AM, bigbadcanucks said:

At this stage, the Canucks have two legit superstars...Hughes and Demko. 

If Pettersson plays like he did in the final 30 games of 2021-2022 for a full 82 game schedule in 2022-23, then the Canucks can lay claim to 3.  Throw in Miller, Horvat and an improved Boeser, you've got six returning Canucks that are in the tier 1 and tier 2 stars in the NHL.

Pretty good foundation to build on.  But a lot hinges on Pettersson taking the next step. Canucks need a 100+ point season from Pettersson.

Right side or left, Hughes is already a superstar.  And he's only going to get better, IMHO.

Miller is close, petey is cusp. 

I see a team that AV thought he had in the cup run.  

Now it’s a well built goalie center out team.  With the classic weakness that has Hughes as the generational player at his position leading by example.  

underspoken but driven.  Bo is similar in his low keyed manner.  

I don’t Marchand could rag doll either in a finals game.  

5 hours ago, Muttley said:

Good storyteller, listens well. Even-keeled. Already a leader I'm sure but great how he responds to being encouraged by management.

The Podkolzin-mic'd clip of a skeptical Quinn Hughes seeing if Podz understood the instructions was interesting (aren't they past that stage yet?) but hearing this puts it nicely into context. 

Oh, and that reaction by Podkolzin...

• Cheers 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:47 AM, -AJ- said:

Personally, I think he's actually underrated (though not on this list). I still think he can be a #1 D in the league, but I'm not sure for how much longer that will be true given his age.

Related to Hughes, I actually tend to think he might be slightly overrated, but it can be really hard to assess defensemen, especially given the change in defending style exhibited by those like Makar and Hughes.

Burns had 54 points on a very underwhelming Sharks team last year over 82 games, and he'll be on Carolina's top pair and QB'ing their PP. Plus he's a shot-blocking monster. I made sure to take him in fantasy this year... 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

With 11 assists in 9 games, Hughes is 3rd in points-per-game among defensemen at 1.22 and 1st in assists-per-game. In points-per-game, only Karlsson and Dahlin have higher rates.

Which is odd because a lot of games he looks. Well ordinary. Very un-Hughes like. Then again that goes for a lot of the Canucks right now.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tyndall2 said:

Wonder how Hughes would do as a forward?  Certainly, he is not an intimidating defenseman.  

Found this on my Facebook news feed. Looks like he does a pretty food job as a defenseman, imagine if he had a better partner.

Screenshot_20221111-134221_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Found this on my Facebook news feed. Looks like he does a pretty food job as a defenseman, imagine if he had a better partner.

Interesting that Johnson and Jones do well considering how much flak they get.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

Might be something to consider for those who considered OEL as our best overall dman last year (chuckle chuckle).