The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

13 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Thats the thing though. If that player is good, but not good enough for the nhl do you gift them a spot on the roster, to the detriment of the team and perhaps the player themselves? And if the player leaves for the khl anyway? 

Then not only did you waste your first round pick, you wasted development time, and perhaps your team wasnt as good as it could have been. 

I mean, you could waste your draft pick taking anyone. If a guy isn't good enough for the NHL what difference does it make if he wasted our time and resources in Utica longer than a Russian that just left instead? Not sure developing in Utica is as valuable as people make it either, especially for elite prospects. Petey skipped it, Boeser skipped it, Bo skipped it. Elite talent generally doesn't need it unless they played in the CHL where the post draft years were largely wasted beating up on kids instead of playing against adults like NCAA, SHL and KHL drafted prospects did. If someone is taking Podkolzin top 10 he likely just needs 2 years to mature his body and hone some things in his game. He can do that anywhere. 

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Im glad this conversation is actually constructive. Your opinion is yours, mine is mine. It should never be “im right you are wrong” because we are all making good valid points. Its nice to read. 

Enjoy it while you can as it seldom happens that way on CDC^_^

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, you could waste your draft pick taking anyone. If a guy isn't good enough for the NHL what difference does it make if he wasted our time and resources in Utica longer than a Russian that just left instead? Not sure developing in Utica is as valuable as people make it either, especially for elite prospects. Petey skipped it, Boeser skipped it, Bo skipped it. Elite talent generally doesn't need it unless they played in the CHL where the post draft years were largely wasted beating up on kids instead of playing against adults like NCAA, SHL and KHL drafted prospects did. If someone is taking Podkolzin top 10 he likely just needs 2 years to mature his body and hone some things in his game. He can do that anywhere. 

Ouch. 

Time is the single greatest commodity. Resources cost money that teams (well not some american teams apparently) need to make to keep the NHL running. 

Time, in this instance where you say he can “do that anywhere”,  is time in a different league, with a different system, different coach, different teammates.... hell...its been called a whole different game at times, the two leagues. 

4 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Ouch. 

Time is the single greatest commodity. Resources cost money that teams (well not some american teams apparently) need to make to keep the NHL running. 

Time, in this instance where you say he can “do that anywhere”,  is time in a different league, with a different system, different coach, different teammates.... hell...its been called a whole different game at times, the two leagues. 

Pettersson went from playing in a different league, with a different system, under a different coach, with different linemates, AND playing a different position to the NHL pretty well all things considered. The game is not fundamentally different in Russia. There is an adjustment period to the NHL regardless of where you come from whether it be AHL, CHL, SHL, KHL whatever. A player isn't more likely to fail because he does his development in the KHL versus the AHL. At least I have no reason to believe that. Otherwise nobody would draft Russian players that opt for the KHL.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pettersson went from playing in a different league, with a different system, under a different coach, with different linemates, AND playing a different position to the NHL pretty well all things considered. The game is not fundamentally different in Russia. There is an adjustment period to the NHL regardless of where you come from whether it be AHL, CHL, SHL, KHL whatever. A player isn't more likely to fail because he does his development in the KHL versus the AHL. At least I have no reason to believe that. Otherwise nobody would draft Russian players that opt for the KHL.

Well if you are saying that if the canucks can and do take podkolzin/petterson at ten im completely down with that. 

Thing is, podkolzin isnt pettersson and the canucks arent picking fifth overall. Pettersson wouldnt have gone past seventh? in his draft class. 

3 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Well if you are saying that if the canucks can and do take podkolzin/petterson at ten im completely down with that. 

Thing is, podkolzin isnt pettersson and the canucks arent picking fifth overall. Pettersson wouldnt have gone past seventh? in his draft class. 

Pettersson was a surprise pick at 5, Podkolzin is considered top 5 by everyone that doesn't inherently hate Russians. Not saying Podkolzin is better than Petey or will ever be. But elite talent will make it's way to the NHL. Regardless of development path.

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pettersson was a surprise pick at 5, Podkolzin is considered top 5 by everyone that doesn't inherently hate Russians. Not saying Podkolzin is better than Petey or will ever be. But elite talent will make it's way to the NHL. Regardless of development path.

Pettersson was only a surprise pick to us ignorant fans. Benning took him, but the rangers had their panties wet for him at seventh. 

If “the big giant heads” think podkolzin is a top five pick, he will be gone....four picks earlier than the canucks are even slated to pick. 

If they think he is “top five” in his draft and dont take him, what would you attribute that to? 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m very curious to see Seider at the coming Worlds.  If he impresses there, he could make a jump.

We could see a player or two impress and move up. You never know who might eventually drop to us . Lots yet to happen.

• Upvote 1

There are quite a few enticing forwards in the Top 10, but forwards can be acquired by trades, at a reasonable cost, or UFA. Maybe they get Tomasino, Pellettier, Beecher or Grewe with the 2nd. Canucks still have MacEwen, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, Madden and Lockwood that are developing and 1 or 2 could make the jump soon. They don't really have a lot of good D depth.  

We can see what adding a stud Dman (Heiskanen) can do for a team (DAL), especially in the playoffs.

BROBERG - Hughes

Juolevi - Woo

Canucks will need great D to do anything in the playoffs (once they get there)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There are quite a few enticing forwards in the Top 10, but forwards can be acquired by trades, at a reasonable cost, or UFA. Maybe they get Tomasino, Pellettier, Beecher or Grewe with the 2nd. Canucks still have MacEwen, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, Madden and Lockwood that are developing and 1 or 2 could make the jump soon. They don't really have a lot of good D depth.  

We can see what adding a stud Dman (Heiskanen) can do for a team (DAL), especially in the playoffs.

BROBERG - Hughes

Juolevi - Woo

Canucks will need great D to do anything in the playoffs (once they get there)

i like a hughes/broberg paring. they both can play either sides. not sure if broberg or soderstrom are top pairing d-men but probably better than what we got.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i like a hughes/broberg paring. they both can play either sides. not sure if broberg or soderstrom are top pairing d-men but probably better than what we got.

I don't think Jim can pass on Broberg if he falls to us. 

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i like a hughes/broberg paring. they both can play either sides. not sure if broberg or soderstrom are top pairing d-men but proably better than what we got.

Yes, me too. Both skate very well (Hughes is a phenom), Broberg has size and a big shot from the point, already playing against men. He reminds me of Edler, but I think he'll be better. That would be a great 1st pairing eventually, I think. Broberg could probably make the team during the later part of this coming season. Just in time for the playoffs ;)

late 2019/20

Edler - UFA

Tryamkin - Hughes

Broberg - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

(dreaming?)

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If broberg is avail at our spot it wouldnt exactly be a surprise. I can see him going 12-20. Too many good forwards to pass up on.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cyoung said:

If broberg is avail at our spot it wouldnt exactly be a surprise. I can see him going 12-20. Too many good forwards to pass up on.

This. The only D that would he falling if they were at 10 would be Byram (which will not happen). Realistically I could see Edmonton going with Bro or Sor at 8, but they need a winger as bad as D. I'm by no means overly intelligent on the subject, but that's my take.

I'm personally not sold on any on the 2nd tier D this year at the 10 spot. There are to many good wingers that are making a case for top 5, let alone top 10 picks. I would kill to pick up another 1st in the mid or late round and take Harley/Seider respectively. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Oh darn, I never considered that he could be taken before #10. Now I have a bad feeling he could be wearing an orange jersey next year. They need good D badly too. Won't be able to make fun of them long, once Holland signs on.

I'm hoping the Canucks get Broberg, but I wonder about this Seider guy too. Haven't seen him play a game, or much video. Kind of mysterious. I did read somewhere that he is expected to be the best Dman to come out of Germany (including Ehrhoff). Not sure how accurate that is, or if someone can shed more light on him.

That's what I love abut Benning taking Pettersson over Glass. He took the best player, regardless of how others might've ranked Pettersson. I could see him taking a player a lot of us haven't seriously considered. Button pegged the Canucks to take Harley. I find that very surprising. 

3 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I hear the oilers are having problems finding someone that can put out dumpster fires. 

Who knows? Maybe if we went on indeed.ca they would take our resumes Joe. 

why throw combustibles into the  dumpster fire? they are really screwed if they can’t find better options than us.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh darn, I never considered that he could be taken before #10. Now I have a bad feeling he could be wearing an orange jersey next year. They need good D badly too. Won't be able to make fun of them long, once Holland signs on.

I'm hoping the Canucks get Broberg, but I wonder about this Seider guy too. Haven't seen him play a game, or much video. Kind of mysterious. I did read somewhere that he is expected to be the best Dman to come out of Germany (including Ehrhoff). Not sure how accurate that is, or if someone can shed more light on him.

That's what I love abut Benning taking Pettersson over Glass. He took the best player, regardless of how others might've ranked Pettersson. I could see him taking a player a lot of us haven't seriously considered. Button pegged the Canucks to take Harley. I find that very surprising. 

if we could somehow get another pick in the 15-25 range he might be available in that range but not likely. 

I think Edmonton picks a F who they think can play now or very soon. They'll ruin another kid. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

We've actually discussed a lot about him but yes he is very mysterious. Personally he probably doesn't deserve to be in consideration anywhere from 10-13 but after that he could go 14-30.