The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

18 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think Seider would be a great fit with what we have currently. He sounds like a perfect compliment to either Hughes or Juolevi and fills a positional need. His style of game is exactly what we need. Acquiring the type of player Seider could be is next to impossible unless you give up a Pettersson or Horvat. A comparable that comes to mind is Trouba; rock solid on defense with the physical ability to match almost anyone effectively playing on the top pair. 

I can't say I've seen him a lot or I'm confident he'll turn out, but that sounds like a really enticing and valuable piece to add to our group. 

Trade down, add a second, draft Seider, Hoglander and Korczak if I had my way lol

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser       Potentially Elite 1st line

Hughes-Seider

Juolevi-Woo

Tryamkin-Korczak

That would be a big, solid and efficient puck moving defence

• Upvote 1

Haven't seen either play, but if it's a choice between Broberg and Soderstrom I can't see us taking Broberg.  As mentioned, one's playing in the SHL while the other's in the Alls, and while Broberg has more size and is a good skater the consistent hockey IQ questions make him unlikely, as the team has really put an emphasis on that the past few drafts.  That and competitiveness/willingness to engage are two of the traits we're seeing them draft on consistently.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Haven't seen either play, but if it's a choice between Broberg and Soderstrom I can't see us taking Broberg.  As mentioned, one's playing in the SHL while the other's in the Alls, and while Broberg has more size and is a good skater the consistent hockey IQ questions make him unlikely, as the team has really put an emphasis on that the past few drafts.  That and competitiveness/willingness to engage are two of the traits we're seeing them draft on consistently.

Jake has hockey IQ?

With Hughes in the line up we will also need some size. You can't have an entire defense of 5' 10" players . If Broberg dose have an IQ weakness then they should look at a forward. The kid dose have elite skating and overall mobility .  A lot of times players that lack the offensive upside  make fantastic shut down machines.  I think we have an opening for one of those.

Is his weakness just offensive or alround?   That's for the scouts to answer.

The size and mobility is unquestionable.  He is only 17, right?

This will be a fascinating draft to watch. Lots of questions. 

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I`ve been watching the playoffs and it is so physical and demanding on the players. I wonder if Caufield will have any impact if he ever gets to the playoffs one of these years. He was outstanding on Hughes` wing during the U18, but as some pointed out, he played against boys. Shooting on a 17 year old kid is much different than an NHL goalie, with NHL Defence. I`m seeing a lot of size (and toughness) from all teams still in, and speed. 

Podkolzin (if he drops)

Broberg

Seider

Boldy (maybe he`ll get faster)

Lavoie

Hasn't Lavoie been on fire in the playoffs?

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This fan, 'formally known as prince' is a leafs fan if you can believe it!  He hoped he'd drop to the leafs pick.  He scouted Pettersson well... Except, he only figured he'd be as good as Willie Nylander and peak at 80 points (there's the true leafs fan!)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rodishred said:

From some of the tape on Podkolzin... Does anyone think he kinda has some similarly to Draisaitl?  I know a winger vs center but the way they attack and lean on defencemen etc...

I agree! good comparison. Size and speed, drives the net, protects the puck.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, appleboy said:

Jake has hockey IQ?

With Hughes in the line up we will also need some size. You can't have an entire defense of 5' 10" players . If Broberg dose have an IQ weakness then they should look at a forward. The kid dose have elite skating and overall mobility .  A lot of times players that lack the offensive upside  make fantastic shut down machines.  I think we have an opening for one of those.

Is his weakness just offensive or alround?   That's for the scouts to answer.

The size and mobility is unquestionable.  He is only 17, right?

This will be a fascinating draft to watch. Lots of questions. 

Jake was drafted like 5 drafts ago, a few more than a few drafts ago. Nice try though. Soderstrom is 5'11 now, probably closer to 6 foot isn't short by any means especially since he plays bigger than he is. Besides, we can find big shutdown bodies in free agency or in later rounds of the draft. Finding offensive players generally comes in the top end of the draft. Soderstrom as of now has higher offensive upside. He has the same amount of points as Broberg while playing in a superior league than Broberg. The only thing Broberg has a significant edge on Soderstrom is weight and height. Everything else is either close to being equal or Soderstrom has the advantage.

Being right handed also plays into Soderstrom's value since we could see a LD group of Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Hutton, Brisebois, and Sautner. Could even throw in Rathbone's name into that mix. On the right side we have Woo, Stecher, Tanev, as the only real notable names Chatfield and Brassard are rightites but they are long shots to even be top 6 d-men let alone occupying a top 4 spot. Tanev is made of glass, Stecher in my opinion is a great 3rd pairing guy that can play top 4 for short periods. Woo is a 2nd rounder we are hoping can develop into a top 4. So as it stands now with what we know about Broberg and Soderstrom I'd definitely give the edge to Soderstrom as a better prospect and fit. I'd be happy with either of them but Soderstrom is the guy I'd vote for.

• Cheers 1

Quote from Benning in the paper today, saying "...all the teams that made it (to the playoffs), their defence is mobile. We have work to do".

I wonder if they are targeting another mobile Dman with the 1st. Broberg, Soderstrom, York or Harley?

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning should try and get Edmonton's 8th pick.  That way we can draft both Podkolzin and Boldy.  Our top 6 would be set for the next decade.  If he can also bring back Tryamkin this summer then that will complete the trifecta...

Two top 10 picks would be great to fill a top 6 forward role and a top 4 d-man role. If we can snag Podkolzin, Krebs, or Boldy with the 8th means taking a d-man with the 10th will feel less risky. Broberg or Soderstrom at 10 and all of a sudden the look of our future core looks really nice. Really depends on what it'd cost us. Losing a Boeser for the 8th would be lateral at best. Since we are essentially hoping whomever we draft top 10 becomes as effective as Boeser. 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Two top 10 picks would be great to fill a top 6 forward role and a top 4 d-man role. If we can snag Podkolzin, Krebs, or Boldy with the 8th means taking a d-man with the 10th will feel less risky. Broberg or Soderstrom at 10 and all of a sudden the look of our future core looks really nice. Really depends on what it'd cost us. Losing a Boeser for the 8th would be lateral at best. Since we are essentially hoping whomever we draft top 10 becomes as effective as Boeser. 

At 8 and 10 you take BPA.  Both Podkolzin and Boldy are better prospects than the two Swedes...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

At 8 and 10 you take BPA.  Both Podkolzin and Boldy are better prospects than the two Swedes...

I mean, not necessarily. But I guess it depends on how you value each prospect. If "BPA" is just pure offensive upside or who ever is scoring more points, sure. If you wanna create a Toronto Maple Leafs or Edmonton Oilers by all means draft all forwards with your first round picks. I can't wait to hear how we'll find 4 Duncan Keiths in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, not necessarily. But I guess it depends on how you value each prospect. If "BPA" is just pure offensive upside or who ever is scoring more points, sure. If you wanna create a Toronto Maple Leafs or Edmonton Oilers by all means draft all forwards with your first round picks. I can't wait to hear how we'll find 4 Duncan Keiths in the 2nd round.

We don't need 4 Duncan Keith's.  We only need one.  His name is Jett Woo.  And Benning drafted him in the second round last year.  He also drafted another Dman in the first round last year, Quinn Hughes.  So he grabbed his Dmen last year.  He now needs to grab his forwards as we have nothing coming up the ranks on the wings in our system.  Hughes, Juolevi, Stecher, Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Brisebois, Rafferty, Sautner.  We have lots of Dmen in our system.  We don't have any wingers other than what we have on our current roster.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Deathrowe said:

2 of our last 3 first round picks have been defensemen. Our top 2 picks last year were both defensmen. You cant look at our roster and tell me we don't have needs on the wing, The value in this draft is at forward, teams are going to reach on defencemen in this draft due to the limited amount of quality. I just hope we don't end up being one of those teams.

I never said double down on d-men, I said if we have two top 10 picks we can draft a winger and a D-man, kill two birds with one stone. Lol. If you think our defense is fine going forward as it is then I guess we really are looking to build a Toronto Maple Leafs. 

3 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

2 of our last 3 first round picks have been defensemen. Our top 2 picks last year were both defensmen. You cant look at our roster and tell me we don't have needs on the wing, The value in this draft is at forward, teams are going to reach on defencemen in this draft due to the limited amount of quality. I just hope we don't end up being one of those teams.

Bingo.  My point exactly...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We don't need 4 Duncan Keith's.  We only need one.  His name is Jett Woo.  And Benning drafted him in the second round last year.  He also drafted another Dman in the first round last year, Quinn Hughes.  So he grabbed his Dmen last year.  He now needs to grab his forwards as we have nothing coming up the ranks on the wings in our system.  Hughes, Juolevi, Stecher, Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Brisebois, Rafferty, Sautner.  We have lots of Dmen in our system.  We don't have any wingers other than what we have on our current roster.  

3 of those guys are righties, and only one of them has an outside chance at being top 4. Hughes and Juolevi are the only ones with legit chances at being top 4. Tryamkin isn't even with the team and may not ever be with the team so if we are opting out of making defense a legit area of strength on the hope he comes back that seems like bad asset management. If you guys think defense is not a significant weakness on this team cause we drafted two d-men last year that's fair I guess.

Edited by N7Nucks