The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

47 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Broberg played 41 of his 49 games this season in the Allsvenskan - The same league that Pettersson played in during his draft year. The SHL and the Allsvenskan use a relegation system, so the top few teams in the Allsvenskan are generally on par with the bottom few teams in the SHL. 

Broberg could choose to play junior in Canada next year if that's something his drafting team pushes for. However, the Hamilton Bulldogs own his CHL rights so he'd be playing in the OHL, not the WHL.

I wonder if Broberg’s rights could be traded to a CHL team, like Calgary?  Then he could play with Woo next season. 

Im watching Seider play against GB this morning.  He has the game’s only goal, and looks like a player.  He’s big, strong on the puck, skates very well, can really shoot the puck, has good hockey sense, but what’s most impressive is he has a calm confidence.  He and Draisatl share that trait. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, N7Nucks said:

Jake was drafted like 5 drafts ago, a few more than a few drafts ago. Nice try though. Soderstrom is 5'11 now, probably closer to 6 foot isn't short by any means especially since he plays bigger than he is. Besides, we can find big shutdown bodies in free agency or in later rounds of the draft. Finding offensive players generally comes in the top end of the draft. Soderstrom as of now has higher offensive upside. He has the same amount of points as Broberg while playing in a superior league than Broberg. The only thing Broberg has a significant edge on Soderstrom is weight and height. Everything else is either close to being equal or Soderstrom has the advantage.

Being right handed also plays into Soderstrom's value since we could see a LD group of Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Hutton, Brisebois, and Sautner. Could even throw in Rathbone's name into that mix. On the right side we have Woo, Stecher, Tanev, as the only real notable names Chatfield and Brassard are rightites but they are long shots to even be top 6 d-men let alone occupying a top 4 spot. Tanev is made of glass, Stecher in my opinion is a great 3rd pairing guy that can play top 4 for short periods. Woo is a 2nd rounder we are hoping can develop into a top 4. So as it stands now with what we know about Broberg and Soderstrom I'd definitely give the edge to Soderstrom as a better prospect and fit. I'd be happy with either of them but Soderstrom is the guy I'd vote for.

I do think their drafting has improved since Jake. My gut tells me that Bracket is getting more input. That's not a knock on Jim as he is only as good as his scouting staff.

I think Broberg could be a Jake.  However he might just be young and not getting an opportunity to fully show case his talents.  If that's the case he skates as well as some of the smaller players in the league. A man of his size that is as quick and mobile as that can't be overlooked. 

This draft looks to have a few real gems that can scored at ten.

Newhook is one that I think could become a real star.  Caufield was another one but now might go top 5.

Krebs.

Let's hope our scouts score a winner.

It is going to be hard for most of us to pick this year apart because there is so many good choices. I just wish they could land another top 15 pick.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Been talking about Kakko as potential first overall for a while. Too much talent with size. New Jersey probably takes Hughes cause he’s a center though.

Kakko has been learning C too. He will probably catch on quickly.

42 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Been talking about Kakko as potential first overall for a while. Too much talent with size. New Jersey probably takes Hughes cause he’s a center though.

NJ went a bit against the grain when they selected Hischier before Patrick (obviously the right choice in hindsight though) so you never know. If we can’t have Kakko I wouldn’t mind him being a franchise player for the Rangers actually.