The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser?  Why would the Canucks make that deal if Buffalo wanted that type of return?  Risto is minus 50 this year alone and minus a million for his short career.  I think the Sabres would be far more interested in Sutter and Tanev.  They need to keep pucks out of their net, not add guys to put them in.  

Due to their age Sutter and Tanev will be traded to true SC that is ready to win now and want to upgrade there defence and face offs in the off season.  Look for Tampa or Toronto (if Boston wins) to be the most likely suitors.  The Canucks will be looking for prospects and picks but will probably also have to take back salary on a vet they don’t want.

no to risto!

I like Boldy, Newhook and Caufield at our spot.... this is the draft page after all.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Due to their age Sutter and Tanev will be traded to true SC that is ready to win now and want to upgrade there defence and face offs in the off season.  Look for Tampa or Toronto (if Boston wins) to be the most likely suitors.  The Canucks will be looking for prospects and picks but will probably also have to take back salary on a vet they don’t want.

no to risto!

I like Boldy, Newhook and Caufield at our spot.... this is the draft page after all.

I think any Risto deal will happen at the draft.  (Their covered my furry bottom:lol:)

I would like Broberg and Seider.  Both of those guys would be nice.

How good is COL going to be? McKinnon, I believe, is the best player in the league. He is a dominating force in the playoffs as well. They've got their excellent top line, but what about their D? Makar is going to be great, better than Hughes IMO. Barrie is another very good mobile Dman. And now they get the #4 overall, plus their other mid-round 1st. They've also got Jost and drafted Kaut last year. Sheesh.

Benning has a lot of work to do if he wants the Canucks to contend in the West.

I have no idea who I want most at #10, but I have a list of about 5 players. I'm intrigues with Seider, just because he's somewhat unknown, but could be the best Dman to ever come out of Germany (including Ehrhoff). Could he be a defensive Draisiatl? Taking Seider at #10 might be a bit premature though? Trading down they risk losing him. Becoming less keen on the USNDT players. Just because it's really unknown how they'll do without each other. Pretty stacked team. Watching Little Johnny get bounced around, no time or space, unable to do anything, he's ineffective in the playoffs (1 assist in 4 games). I don't want a small player, sorry Cauifield. 

EDIT - maybe taking Seider at #10 isn't so crazy afterall?

Steve Kournianos - Sporting NewsJan. 31st: "The next few blueliners after Byram also possess solid puck skills, but Germany's Moritz Seider comes the closest to matching his complete arsenal. He is a steady contributor in the German elite league, where he logs top-four minutes and sees power-play time."

Edited by NUCKER67

23 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

COHEN: Is Moritz Seider the most interesting player in the draft?

The 2019 NHL Draft is months away, but some players are shining on and off the ice.

Moritz Seider is one of those players and he’s doing it in Germany.

German defenseman aren’t new to the NHL. I covered Dennis Seidenberg back when he played for the Philadelphia Phantoms. He was a 2001 draft pick, a sixth-rounder, back then he was one of a few but he, Uwe Krupp and Christian Ehrhoff, were thought to be the gold standard until Seider.

He could be the best, he has a long way to go before we see if that shakes out but he’s off to a great start.

The Adler Manheim defenseman had two goals and six points in 29 games this season as a 17-year-old. He had a point in his first two playoff games as well. At 6-4, 198 pounds, he has the kind of frame teams love. He’s at the start of his potential, not the end. There’s a lot of room for growth.

There have been a few teams scouting him recently. He plays a good, simple game and he’s a very down to earth guy. Many are talking about his calmness on the ice, another really good 21st-century trait that teams really like. To potentially draft a defenseman, who is low maintenance, with this kind of size, that puts him on a lot of teams’ radar for sure.

He could be a top 15 pick before it’s all said and done.

Seider is playing against men and having success. He’s already had really good success at the International level, so this was a good year for him in regard to his development and him getting some recognition as we get closer to the NHL Draft.

In a field of four other players, Seider was up for the DEL Rookie of the Year Award. I’m sure many felt he had a really good chance to win the prestigious award and he did just that. Once again this speaks to the resume and intrigue that’s growing. Leon Draisaitl was called “The German Gretzky” and well all wrote about it and said it when it was getting close to the draft. Seider hasn’t earned some sort of nickname just yet. None that might translate here. That’s probably the next thing that will happen in the evolution of his story.

He’s had to overcome some adversity this year. He had a shoulder injury early on and that cut down the number of his games. Nobody seems to be worried about it so that’s not going to drop him in the draft. Now add the award that he’s won and couple that with the fact that he’s a right-handed shot, and now you have someone who doesn’t seem like he will drop out of the Top 20.

Defenseman are a high form of currency in a teams’ organization these days. If you develop them, you get the benefit of having one of six in your everyday lineup. If you draft a promising defenseman but find yourself in a situation where you have to trade one. The value of a good one is very high and extremely desirable. Most aren’t available in free agency, so teams mostly get them in trade, or they draft them.

After the draft, Seider will likely come over and either play junior hockey or even play in the AHL. Owen Sound has his draft rights so that’s one option for sure. The fact that he has a physical side to his game and he already has good size, I don’t think the AHL is out of question. Some teams would really like that because they’d be able to get him playing their way right away and that’s proved to be an effective way to bring along some players. William Nylander did it successfully. Kevin Fiala as well. Hampus Lindholm and Oliver Kylington played in the AHL when they were just 18 as well. Those two are especially good examples because they’re defenseman.

You never know at what age a prospect will make their NHL debut unless they are a top 2 pick, those players you have a better idea. With Seider, you get the idea that he needs further development, but the curve may not be as long as a typical defenseman. He doesn’t seem like a typical defenseman, and not because he’s German, he’s just different. He seems to be ahead of schedule mentally and physically he’s got the size part all worked out as he waits for his man strength to work its way in.

When that happens, he could be a scary player to face. I expect a lot more stories to come out about him before June. We’re still just scratching the surface in learning about him.

Thx for posting.

Three scouts from the New York Islanders were sitting in the 6th row scouting Seider in the semi-final playoffs.

Others teams are scouting him, too.

I agree with the writer that he could be a Top 15 pick.

Don't agree with him on his outlook, that Seider will likely play in junior hockey or AHL. No way that he will going back to juniors.

He made his first game in Germany's top league at the pro level being 16 years and 6 months old. That's jaw dropping.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:39 AM, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

If the Canucks go Soderstrom at 10 what about Pavel Dorofeyev at 40?  Dynamic RHD and a potential sniper at forward with our first two picks:)

Personally I want a forward at 10 and a defender at 40.  

Minnesota Wild: Pavel Dorofeyev, Left Wing, Stalnye Lisy (MHL): Why this cerebral dual threat isn’t universally mentioned as a possible top-10 pick, let alone a first rounder, is very surprising. Dorofeyev’s ability to execute odd-man rushes and maximize his time in the offensive zone is advanced for a teenager. It’s not common for a neophyte to earn a regular shift in the KHL, but Dorofeyev certainly earned his ice time.

saw a mock draft having Dorofeyev at # 12. Unfortunately, this player will not fall in our lap at #40. Do they take him with the 1st ? I would doubt it, because of the experiences Canucks have made with Russian players.

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2019 at 4:56 AM, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

What an incredibly boring pick at 10 this would turn out to be. 

Heiskanen was also considered to be a boring pick at #3 in the 2017 draft. Have you seen his performance the whole regular season, how many minutes he had played. Have you seen what he is doing right now in the playoffs?

Soderstrom has the potential to become a top pairing D in the NHL. He can skate like hell, can quaterback a PP which is more than helpful for our team, he has excellent hockey sense. This player is an intriguing prospect, no doubt about.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2019 at 9:45 PM, hammertime said:

I don't like the idea of trading down. @10 we get the best of who is left at 15 we just get who's left. I think there is a high possibility we get a top 5 player in the draft at 10. From 3-12 its pretty wide open take your pick who you like I have seen all of these players ranked in the top 5 or as low as 15-20. 

you know what?

I saw a mock draft were the Canucks picked Podkolzin at #10. Can you image: a player like Podkolzin at #10. Unbelieveable. Jim wanted badly that the Canucks would get a top 3 pick in this years draft because he thinks that the players ranked there can become special players.

Predicting Hindsite lol (how players will end up ranked in a few years)

1. Kakko

2. Hughes

3. Turcotte

4. Byram

5. Dach

6. Cozens

7. Podkolzin

8. Krebs

9. Soderstrom

10. Seider

11. Boldy

12. Newhook

13. Broberg

14. Lavoie

15. Hoglander

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Pavel Dorofeyev would be a great option if available in the second round, his numbers are very impressive in the MHL this year, comparable numbers to Kucherov and Kuznetsov.

If Bobby Mac is correct with his rankings (#65 on his list) this guy could be available to us in 3rd round. No point going way off the board in round 2, unless scouting believes this is as good a prospect as they can get in that draft slot

2 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

If Bobby Mac is correct with his rankings (#65 on his list) this guy could be available to us in 3rd round. No point going way off the board in round 2, unless scouting believes this is as good a prospect as they can get in that draft slot

JD burke has him at 15, hockey prospect, mckeens, and future considerations have him ranked in the top 30. There is a good chance he is gone by our pick. 

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Dorofeyev is probably the main reason I want another pick around 20. He looks almost exactly like Pettersson on the ice.

Hmm, a Russian Pettersson you say. I think the Canucks could possibly get him with the 2nd, considering he's a winger.

Dorofeyev - Pettersson - Boeser

Hughes - Soderstrom/Seider

:)

9 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

This makes no sense.  If this is how you feel, then it should be the same as your original list.  

Meh, it's just a guess on how I think players will turn out. For instance, I don't feel overly confident with Zegras, Caufield or Kaliyev. I think Boldy will be a good player, but he's not a Top 5 pick or anything. I also believe there are players ranked lower that will turn out better than some think. In think Hughes will be a very good player, but not the best player from this Draft. 

We're all guessing here 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

If you think Kakko will be better than Hughes, why would you put him below Hughes on your original list?  The draft is about projections. Like I said, it just doesn't make sense.

Rankings change