The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If we have a chance at Zegras, I really hope we jump all over.  Kid is crazy talented.  If he wasn't behind Jack Hughes, and was playing top line minutes, I think he'd be a lock for top 5.

Could be said of Turcotte as well. That team is crazy stacked. I think we are guaranteed a very good player at ten. What to you really stands out to put him head and shoulders the best pick at that spot?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Could be said of Turcotte as well. That team is crazy stacked. I think we are guaranteed a very good player at ten. What to you really stands out to put him head and shoulders the best pick at that spot?  

With Zegras?  I'd say it's his calmness with the puck more than anything.  He's right up there with the Hughes brothers in terms of being a dynamic skater/stickhandler.  He hangs onto the puck the extra second or two past peoples comfort zone to allow guys to get open.  That will be a crazy skill to have when playing with shooters like Boeser and EP.  He has very good speed, is great defensively and is 6ft and growing.  

Outside of Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Podkolzin, I'd take him or Turcotte at 5.  I think Turcotte is better than Zegras though.  I was responding to the poster that had Newhook, Boldy, Krebs, Zegras, Soderstrom, Seider, Caufield available at 10.  I'd also love to have Soderstrom, I think he is pretty underrated and could go in the 6-8 range.  Right shot  PMD who is great with the puck but better defensively .  You don't get a guy like that if you don't draft him.

I'm super excited about this draft, as 3-10 are wide open.  I think we get a guy who we expected to go higher fall in our lap.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

These guys have:
1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Podkolzin

4. Cozens

5. Dach

6. Turcotte

7. Zegras

8. Soderstrom

9. Broberg

10. Bowen Byram

11. Boldy

12. Harley

13. Knight

14. Krebs

15. Lavoie

Why in the world Edmonton would take Soderstrom there and why in the world Anaheim would take Broberg there?

Wishful thinking by a Canuck's fan.  I'd be very happy with Seider, Broberg or Soderstrom at 10, and I believe JB will get his choice out of two of the three. Byram goes top 5 for sure.  Then, I think Broberg goes 6-9.  Then JB can choose between Soderstrom and Seider.  I'd take Seider, and be happy.  

45 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

These guys have:
1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Podkolzin

4. Cozens

5. Dach

6. Turcotte

7. Zegras

8. Soderstrom

9. Broberg

10. Bowen Byram

11. Boldy

12. Harley

13. Knight

14. Krebs

15. Lavoie

Why in the world Edmonton would take Soderstrom there and why in the world Anaheim would take Broberg there?

Drafts are funny though.  Zadina was a lock for 3 all season until MTL won the lottery.  Kotkaniemi worked out, but was an off the board pick at 3, Hayton was as well at 5.  With Wahlstrom, Bouchard, DObson still out there, I'd say the Rangers taking Kravstov was a little off the board as well.  Point being...Talking heads on TV and fans really have no idea what GM's are going to do, and what the results will be.  When we picked EP, it was off the board as Glass and Vilardi were available.  

Whichever player will be the best playoff performer. 'Cause that's what it's all about isn't it? 

Who I don't want:

Caufield - Might be an elite goal scorer, shifty and quick, but he's 5'7" folks.

Kaliyev - Superb shot, but I don't think he's very fast and tends to sit back waiting to haul off on a one-timer. His effort reminds me of Goldobin's.

Broberg - Big and fast, but not the highest of Hockey IQs I would imagine. From the video I've seen, he doesn't always make the right decision with the puck

Who I do want with the 1st:

(aside from Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Byram, Cozens and Dach - I don't believe we'll get any of these guys at #10)

Krebs

Zegras

Newhook

Boldy

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Whichever player will be the best playoff performer. 'Cause that's what it's all about isn't it? 

Who I don't want:

Caufield - Might be an elite goal scorer, shifty and quick, but he's 5'7" folks.

Kaliyev - Superb shot, but I don't think he's very fast and tends to sit back waiting to haul off on a one-timer. His effort reminds me of Goldobin's.

Broberg - Big and fast, but not the highest of Hockey IQs I would imagine. From the video I've seen, he doesn't always make the right decision with the puck

Who I do want with the 1st:

(aside from Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Byram, Cozens and Dach - I don't believe we'll get any of these guys at #10)

Krebs

Zegras

Newhook

Boldy

You left out the guy who is performing in the playoffs. 

Lavoi 11gp 13g 7A 20pts12pim +12

Dach 10gp 5g 3a 8pts 6pim -1

Cozens 7gp 4g 4a 8pts 2pim -2

28 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

My flavour of the day today is Cole Caufield.

How will this guy not blossom into an elite goal-scorer? And he's got that very low-centre gravity, much like Barzal and his doppelganger DeBrincat.

He's one dimensional, hes small & hes not super fast. But all he needs is a bit of space to get a shot off. 

He'll need a great center to play with to score 40, like DeBrincat playing with Strome (& Kane on PPs) but he should he a consistent scorer like Phil Kessel. Just not as fast & idk if hes as good a playmaker as Phil either. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I don't like the idea of trading down. @10 we get the best of who is left at 15 we just get who's left. I think there is a high possibility we get a top 5 player in the draft at 10. From 3-12 its pretty wide open take your pick who you like I have seen all of these players ranked in the top 5 or as low as 15-20. 

Yeah im with you. At 10 theres atleast a chance of getting someone that you expect wont be available coming in. I dont know that Id want to go back any further than 13.

after the top 2 theres 6 guys I have ranked to go ahead. (Dach, Byram, Turcotte, Pod, Cozens, Boldy)

Then starting at 9, a group of:

Zegras

Newhook

Soderstrom

Caufield

Krebs

(Could throw Heinola or Seider in there too if you like)

But basically theres still an opportunity there to get good upside & not huge risk. After this guys have less upside, more risk or are just generally more of a project. Imo.

(Could change after u18s but this is how i see it now)

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

So who's got 2nd round favorites?????????

@fwd

Nolan Foote LW PWF Big nasty can you really go wrong with the Foote Clan.

John Beecher LW PWF has been known to "Go Ape" another UMich alum. 

@D

Kokkonen LHD attacking style 5"11 but sturdy base looking right at home in Liiga 

Lassi Thompson RHD offensive PPQB good 200' play

Korczak RHD shut down acumen with a feisty side can put up points in the clutch.

@G 

Isaiah Saville kids incredible lead the USHL in GAA in his rookie year. Look at those stats at every level. He could be the answer to the Marky Demko ED conundrum. His only blemish is 2 games at Hilinka. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/365042/isaiah-saville

Edited by hammertime

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah im with you. At 10 theres atleast a chance of getting someone that you expect wont be available coming in. I dont know that Id want to go back any further than 13.

after the top 2 theres 6 guys I have ranked to go ahead. (Dach, Byram, Turcotte, Pod, Cozens, Boldy)

Then starting at 9, a group of:

Zegras

Newhook

Soderstrom

Caufield

Newhook

(Could throw Heinola or Seider in there too if you like)

But basically theres still an opportunity there to get good upside & not huge risk. After this guys have less upside, more risk or are just generally more of a project. Imo.

(Could change after u18s but this is how i see it now)

Image result for homer drooling

Double Newhook!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

@fwd

@D

Kokkonen LHD attacking style 5"11 but sturdy base looking right at home in Liiga 

Korczak RHD shut down acumen with a feisty side can put up points in the clutch.

@G 

Isaiah Saville kids incredible lead the USHL in GAA in his rookie year. Look at those stats at every level. He could be the answer to the Marky Demko ED conundrum. His only blemish is 2 games at Hilinka. 

I love Ryan Siedem and Case McCarthy. Beecher would be a nice bottom 6 addition if he gets a bit quicker. 

I'd hope for Nick Robertson, but that's pretty unlikely. 

Dominick Fensore is tiny but one hell of a workhorse. I love his game and he's got some wicked offensive tools.

Siedem would be a dollars and sense kind of pick though. He's a decent skater and he's got a great shot from the point. With some development he could be a potential top 4 guy, maybe complementing Olli Juolevi.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I don't like the idea of trading down. @10 we get the best of who is left at 15 we just get who's left. I think there is a high possibility we get a top 5 player in the draft at 10. From 3-12 its pretty wide open take your pick who you like I have seen all of these players ranked in the top 5 or as low as 15-20. 

Trading for an obvious need like Trouba hypothetically is the only option I would be okay with.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

@fwd

@D

@G 

I would.be happy with Foote or any of the above listed d men. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

@fwd

@D

@G 

Blake Murray.

Underwhelming sophomore season point wise, but he has amazing work ethics. He doesn’t take a shift off, and is one of the better face off guys in the draft. He owns a pretty lethal shot as well. Scouts have said he reminds them of Ryan O’Reilly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I love Ryan Siedem and Case McCarthy. Beecher would be a nice bottom 6 addition if he gets a bit quicker. 

I'd hope for Nick Robertson, but that's pretty unlikely. 

Dominick Fensore is tiny but one hell of a workhorse. I love his game and he's got some wicked offensive tools.

Siedem would be a dollars and sense kind of pick though. He's a decent skater and he's got a great shot from the point. With some development he could be a potential top 4 guy, maybe complementing Olli Juolevi.

We will get Case in the 4th round. B)

Siedem is interesting I haven't really keyed in on him. NA central scouting has him at 88 I wonder if he will make it to the 3rd round and or beyond?