The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

If Benning can wiggle out a pick in the 15 range I'd be ecstatic if we can nab Soderstrom with that pick. Still pretty high on him. All around right handed D-man. Not a super flashy offensive weapon but can produce offensively. Makes smart decisions with the puck and is a really good puck mover. Sound familiar? Should, cause he definitely sounds a lot like Juolevi. He is also said to have a bit of a physical edge. Juolevi's poise, puck moving ability, and intelligence with a bit of Stecher thrown in there.

With the way the team is sinking. Being in the top 3-5 is not out of the realm of possibility. 

I really like Kaapo Kakko. 6'1, weighs about a buck eighty. We definitely need to keep dipping into the Finnish pool. They are making some really quality players the last few years. Bit of a PF type player with a wicked wrister and great puck handling ability. Decent skater at best. Word I seen is that his conditioning isn't great, gets tired fairly quickly. 

Cozens interests me as well. Big centers that can skate like the wind are gonna interest everyone. Big body, battles along the boards, great skater, great shot, has wheels, good playmaking ability, plays the body. Has it all and can do it all. AND if that wasn't enough to garner some interest guy is from Whitehorse, that's neat in of itself. Lol. Hard to find scouting reports on the guy though but the ones from September and such all say the same things about him.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Cozens interests me as well. Big centers that can skate like the wind are gonna interest everyone. Big body, battles along the boards, great skater, great shot, has wheels, good playmaking ability, plays the body. Has it all and can do it all. AND if that wasn't enough to garner some interest guy is from Whitehorse, that's neat in of itself. Lol. Hard to find scouting reports on the guy though but the ones from September and such all say the same things about him.

Cozens had 3 goals and 6 points last night. I think he's probably the 2nd best center in the draft right now and first in the tier immediately following Hughes/Kakko. I might be totally off base here, but he reminds me of Barzal as a right handed center with good size who loves to skate with the puck and make plays. He'll likely be highly valued heading into the draft and I'd be ecstatic if we could land him. 

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Cozens had 3 goals and 6 points last night. I think he's probably the 2nd best center in the draft right now and first in the tier immediately following Hughes/Kakko. I might be totally off base here, but he reminds me of Barzal as a right handed center with good size who loves to skate with the puck and make plays. He'll likely be highly valued heading into the draft and I'd be ecstatic if we could land him. 

Cozens definitely tickles my fancy as well. I did read from one scouting report that his thinking away from the puck isn't great but everything else I read screams elite potential. Can NEVER have too many centers as well. I could see him taking the number 2 spot over Kaapo Kakko if a team drafting there really needs a center. Hell even if they don't need one I could see someone coveting a center over a winger at that spot.

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Depending on how good Byram is we might be better off trading Juolevi for a comparable winger prospect and just drafting the hometown kid. 

Juolevi+ something small for Nylander

Draft Byram:

Baertschi - Horvat - Nylander

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser

Goldobin - Gaudette - Virtanen

Hughes - Tryamkin

Byram - Tanev

Hutton - Stetcher

That's certainly not bad, but there's a lot of moving parts in that particular scenario.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

I suggested that and got trolled. In my eyes, it's definitely an option. 

It's a Canucks board, can't avoid the homers. Just have to learn to roll with the punches... or block them.

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Juolevi+ something small for Nylander

Draft Byram:

Baertschi - Horvat - Nylander

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser

Goldobin - Gaudette - Virtanen

Hughes - Tryamkin

Byram - Tanev

Hutton - Stetcher

That's certainly not bad, but there's a lot of moving parts in that particular scenario.

Nylanders value has lessed, but I'm not sure its to the degree that puts him on Juolevi's level. Also, Toronto is set with Rielly/ Gardiner on the left side. If they move Nylander it's likely only for a RHD that helps them out now. 

Toronto is in win now mode with their stars on ELC's. 

Edited by Mathew Barzal

6 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I have Dach ahead of Cozens just because I think he might be a smarter player with utilizing his team mates and playing off the cycle. However Cozens speed is high end for a big man, kind of like Jake Virtanen. Watch Newhook if you want another person who looks like Barzal. He has elite skating and puck handling. The only thing he plays in the BCHL, which is not a bad league these days, but not up to par with the CHL leagues.

TheDraftAnalyst's mock draft for round 1 is out. He's notorious for at least a couple of abnormal rankings compared to the consensus, most notably rating Svechnikov ahead of Dahlin all year last year. However, the opinion of anyone who has spent a significant amount of time watching these players is interesting and worth looking at in my mind. Plus he was high on Smith last year (as was I), and he's looking alright to say the least ;)

Here's his top 15:

1) J. Hughes

2) Kakko

3) Podkolzin 

4) Zegras

5) Byram

6) Turcotte

7) Dach

8) Boldy

9) Cozens

10) Krebs

11) Newhook

12) Soderstrom

13) Suzuki

14) Honka

15) Dorofeyev

I'd recommend visiting his site for explanations and quick summaries of each player. Definitely some interesting rankings even this early. In particular, I'm not sure how Dach and Cozens could be that low. Also, I haven't heard that much about Zegras, but he seems to be having a really positive impact for the USNDP squad. 

17 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

TheDraftAnalyst's mock draft for round 1 is out. He's notorious for at least a couple of abnormal rankings compared to the consensus, most notably rating Svechnikov ahead of Dahlin all year last year. However, the opinion of anyone who has spent a significant amount of time watching these players is interesting and worth looking at in my mind. Plus he was high on Smith last year (as was I), and he's looking alright to say the least ;)

Here's his top 15:

1) J. Hughes

2) Kakko

3) Podkolzin 

4) Zegras

5) Byram

6) Turcotte

7) Dach

8) Boldy

9) Cozens

10) Krebs

11) Newhook

12) Soderstrom

13) Suzuki

14) Honka

15) Dorofeyev

I'd recommend visiting his site for explanations and quick summaries of each player. Definitely some interesting rankings even this early. In particular, I'm not sure how Dach and Cozens could be that low. Also, I haven't heard that much about Zegras, but he seems to be having a really positive impact for the USNDP squad. 

This is the 2nd time I’ve saw Zegras higher than normal. Seems to be a Hughes light with good speed and skill

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Here's his top 15:

1) J. Hughes

2) Kakko

3) Podkolzin 

4) Zegras

5) Byram

6) Turcotte

7) Dach

8) Boldy

9) Cozens

10) Krebs

11) Newhook

12) Soderstrom

13) Suzuki

14) Honka

15) Dorofeyev

I found the Soderstrom ranking very interesting. He could be a the RD we are looking for. This is looking to be a deep draft and for him to be ranked so high means he must have top 4 potential. 

Edited by kenhodgejr

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Here's his top 15:

1) J. Hughes

2) Kakko

3) Podkolzin 

4) Zegras

5) Byram

6) Turcotte

7) Dach

8) Boldy

9) Cozens

10) Krebs

11) Newhook

12) Soderstrom

13) Suzuki

14) Honka

15) Dorofeyev

He loves bold predictions lol...I can't imagine how he can justify having dach or Cozens that low....I agree zegras and podkolzin are looking great but I don't know...lol

15 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Here's his top 15:

1) J. Hughes

2) Kakko

3) Podkolzin 

4) Zegras

5) Byram

6) Turcotte

7) Dach

8) Boldy

9) Cozens

10) Krebs

11) Newhook

12) Soderstrom

13) Suzuki

14) Honka

15) Dorofeyev

Yeah he is. Steve also posts on the hfboards if people want to argue with him. I love me some zegras, but even i will admit that zegras isnt number four yet.

40 minutes ago, Isam said:

Yeah he is. Steve also posts on the hfboards if people want to argue with him. I love me some zegras, but even i will admit that zegras isnt number four yet.

hfboards blows this forum out of the water when it comes to draft talk. I don't have as much time as I would like to read up on everything there though. 

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

hfboards blows this forum out of the water when it comes to draft talk. I don't have as much time as I would like to read up on everything there though. 

Alot of the boys here should. I think mark edwards is another guy who posts often over there. Plus quite a few scouts. There are other sections of hfboards that are quite good. Still wish ronning on empty and y2kcanucks would get banned though because they suck at prognosticating picks.