Krebs

Soderstrom

-

Broberg

Zegras

Seider

Knight

York

From Cozens to York there's alot of guys with similar upsides, I'm sure alot of ppl would have it much differently. Which is why I just did one dash compared to the top two which I think are clear. But I'll explain my rationale. 

I view Cozens / Pod / Boldy as kinda safe but also very good upside. Caufield / Krebs / Newhook / Soderstrom are all good prospects, all should play, but maybe not as high upside (outside of Caufield who knocks is obvious on).

The last group you could merge with the Caufield - Soderstrom group, their all pretty much same level prospects, but for me its purely personal preference so I have those guys after in there own group. 

Interesting guy here is Spencer Knight. He won't be our pick, but based on upside should probably be in the Cozens group. I think he'll go top 15. 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Here's kinda how I have the tiers/groups

Hughes 

Kakko

----

Byram

Dach

Turcotte

----

Cozens

Boldy

Podkolzin

-

Caufield

Newhook

Krebs

Soderstrom

-

Broberg

Zegras

Seider

Knight

York

From Cozens to York there's alot of guys with similar upsides, I'm sure alot of ppl would have it much differently. Which is why I just did one dash compared to the top two which I think are clear. But I'll explain my rationale. 

I view Cozens / Pod / Boldy as kinda safe but also very good upside. Caufield / Krebs / Newhook / Soderstrom are all good prospects, all should play, but maybe not as high upside (outside of Caufield who knocks is obvious on).

The last group you could merge with the Caufield - Soderstrom group, their all pretty much same level prospects, but for me its purely personal preference so I have those guys after in there own group. 

Interesting guy here is Spencer Knight. He won't be our pick, but based on upside should probably be in the Cozens group. I think he'll go top 15. 

I think you nailed the grouping really good.  Except I think switch Broberg and Soderstrom.  Otherwise I think you have the order the guys are going to get drafted.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hughes 

Kakko

----

Byram

Dach

Turcotte

----

Cozens

Boldy

Podkolzin

-

Caufield

Newhook

Krebs

Soderstrom

-

Broberg

Zegras

Seider

Knight

York

I think these playoffs have shifted the picking priorities back to big skilled players. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Dach and Cozens went #5 and #6.  Those are the players you go deep in the playoffs with.  Wait ‘till they fill out their 6’4 - 6’3 frames.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think you nailed the grouping really good.  Except I think switch Broberg and Soderstrom.  Otherwise I think you have the order the guys are going to get drafted.

Yup pure personal preference at that point.

For me I like Soderstrom being a RHD, and playing in the SHL. Smooth high IQ game makes him safe, but I do think he's also a talented player as far as puck skills & shot. 

Not the physical tools of Broberg, less size, and maybe injuries are a concern. But as I said all personal preference there, certainly same tier prospects. 

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I think these playoffs have shifted the picking priorities back to big skilled players. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Dach and Cozens went #5 and #6.  Those are the players you go deep in the playoffs with.  Wait ‘till they fill out their 6’4 - 6’3 frames.  

I'd be surprised if Dach didn't go that high honestly. And Cozens won't last much longer, agree completely. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not bad......But what’s with having Zegras so low? I don’t get it. Have a nap Alf, it’s going to be a long night.

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The Canucks don't want to draft based on who won this year's Stanley Cup. Last time we drafted a guy that we "needed" for size and strength reasons we ended up with Virtanen over Ehlers. Draft BPA, especially in the first 3 rounds 

2 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

The Canucks don't want to draft based on who won this year's Stanley Cup. Last time we drafted a guy that we "needed" for size and strength reasons we ended up with Virtanen over Ehlers. Draft BPA, especially in the first 3 rounds 

You’re not all wet after all Marv.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Agreed, and I’m not saying the Canucks will pick through need.  I’m saying don’t be surprised if other teams do.  Like Phoenix and Montreal did last year.   Edit: besides the Kings have a history of drafting heavy players.  Edit:  Can’t see the Kings letting Dach slip through their fingers. He’s just too tempting for them.  

Edited by Pure961089

2 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Just knowing that JB needs this team to do drastically better or he loses his job

*Invented media narrative (of their usual low quality as well).

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hughes 

Kakko

----

Byram

Dach

Turcotte

----

Cozens

Boldy

Podkolzin

-

Caufield

Newhook

Krebs

Soderstrom

-

Broberg

Zegras

Seider

Knight

York

Funny, I'd have the tiers more like:

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

My top 20:

1 - Hughes

2 - Kakko

3 - Byram

4 - Turcotte

5 - Zegras

6 - Podkolzin

7 - Krebs

8 - Dach

9 - Boldy

10 - Seider

11 - Cozens

12 - York

13 - Soderstrom

14 - Caulfield

15 - Newhook

16 - Heinola

17- Harley

18 - Broberg

19 - Brink

20 - Tomasino

• Cheers 1

I guess it's time to actually make predictions. This is my mock draft for how I think the draft will play out tonight (I've assumed no traded have been made within the top 10 as that convolutes things too much:

1) New Jersey - J. Hughes

Any debate about on ice worth when compared to Kakko is set aside for the off ice implications. The two players are close enough in talent and on ice abilities that the off ice marketing advantages of being an American hero coming to New Jersey gives Hughes the edge. 

2) New York - Kakko

Easiest pick of the draft. Their fans have already constructed the Church of Kakko and have declared this day Kaapo Kakkomas. He's the crown jewel of a competent, efficient rebuild. 

3) Chicago - Turcotte

This is where some debate starts to open up in the draft. At the end of the day, taking the hometown center and future successor to Toews 3rd overall in Vancouver (just like Toews) after accumulating some good young defensemen the last couple of years is perfect for them. 

4) Colorado - Dach

Byram is likely the consensus pick here, but Colorado needs a center behind MacKinnon in the worst way. Dach is the center with the most upside left on the board in their view and they still have their own pick later on to take a defenseman if they want to. 

5) Los Angeles - Byram

Second easiest pick of the draft. The Kings take this guy and glue him to Doughty off the ice for the next 5 years. 

6) Detroit - Zegras

There have been reports that the Red Wings believe a Zegras - Zadina duo could be deadly, and who could blame them really. Zegras offers the flexibility to play center behind Larkin if necessary and can easily shift to wing as well. 

7) Buffalo - Boldy

Boldy is a great fit for the Sabres as a left wing who can play with either of their two centers for the future. Eichel and Skinner seem to be a pair that will be together for a long time, but Boldy could be a great fit with Mittlestadt on their second line (or at least they hope). Remember how deadly Mittlestadt was when he had the big boy Tkachuk on his line at the WJC?

8) Edmonton - Cozens

Cozens offers a big body with blazing speed they can add as a complimentary piece to one of their centers. At this point he's too valuable to pass up. 

9) Anaheim - Soderstrom

Anaheim has depleted their supply of young, talented defensemen over the last couple of years and they address that with his pick. Soderstrom is someone who could be a great fit with H. Lindholm on a pair, who they took in a similar position. It might seem like a bit of a reach from the outside, but they've proven that they value defensemen.

10) Vancouver - Newhook

The speed and skill trend continues with this pick. He would be a great fit with either Horvat or Pettersson on LW and has the flexibility to move to the middle if needed. 

That's my prediction, we'll see how wrong it is later today. The main difference I could see would be Broberg going top 10 along with possibly Podkolzin or Caufield. That would leave Soderstrom and/or Newhook as the most likely players to drop. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*Invented media narrative (of their usual low quality as well).

Funny, I'd have the tiers more like:

That's common sense. If they finish in the bottom third of the league again, you think he stays on? Of course he'll be let go, and he should. At some point the needle needs to move forward. 

9 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

That's common sense. If they finish in the bottom third of the league again, you think he stays on? Of course he'll be let go, and he should. At some point the needle needs to move forward. 

No, it's not 'common sense'. I think that's a very over simplified and myopic stance and lacks any context. It's a moronic hashtag for desperate click bait media types (and the people who listen to them).

Why did we finish bottom 3rd in this scenario? Did Hughes, Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser all suffer season ending injuries? How far 'forward' does the team need to go? If we miss the playoffs like Montreal did last year despite all our picks and prospects still turning out well, any UFA's/trades Jim picks up this summer turning out well etc do we fire him?

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'll go by what they who signs his cheques and can actually fire him says:

'Great work'...sure sounds like a guy on the verge of being fired.

All that matters is continued forward progress and organizational building. There's no arbitrary line in the sand.

Edited by aGENT

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, it's not 'common sense'. I think that's a very over simplified and myopic stance and lacks any context. It's a moronic hashtag for desperate click bait media types (and the people who listen to them).

Why did we finish bottom 3rd in this scenario? Did Hughes, Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser all suffer season ending injuries? How far 'forward' does the team need to go? If we miss the playoffs like Montreal did last year despite all our picks and prospects still turning out well, any UFA's/trades Jim picks up this summer turning out well etc do we fire him?

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'll go by what they who signs his cheques and can actually fire him says:

'Great work'...sure sounds like a guy on the verge of being fired.

All that matters is continued forward progress and organizational building. There's no arbitrary line in the sand.

If you think he has a long leesh, and has done a good job then we have differing opinions. I guess it would take more than half a decade of someone doing a bad job for you to fire them, im different. 

1 minute ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

If you think he has a long leesh, and has done a good job then we have differing opinions. I guess it would take more than half a decade of someone doing a bad job for you to fire them, im different. 

Lazy thinking.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Lazy thinking.

Explain why that is? Because im not laying out my reasoning for thinking he hasnt done a good job over his tenure. I don't need to. Im sure youve followed the team like I have, so you must know. Or maybe you're a fan that always has an optimistic view. I wish I did, unfortunately im a realist. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

My personal preferences on these players is different than my mock draft. I don't have any real favourites like last year and I would be happy with most players likely available in our range.

I will say that the three players I would be kind of disappointed with for different reasons would be Podkolzin, Broberg and Caufield. I don't think Podkolzin's ceiling is as high as some others think it is in terms of producing points. For Broberg, I don't think his offensive game is good enough to be more than a good defensive defenseman with his physical tools. Finally with Caufield, it's not that I don't think he'll be a good player because he absolutely could be, but I don't think it will happen in Vancouver. He and Boeser are too similar and would both need to be put the same position to be optimized, but there just isn't room for us. 

I also think that a couple of players will end up being better than their draft position. My main candidate is Heinola in the 1st round. I think he will be a pretty good defenseman and a team will be very happy with how he turns out. The other player is Dorofeyev. His skill level is right up at the top of the draft and his creativity is as well, but the main question with him is his drive and determination. If he commits, he could be a very deadly player. 

At the end of the day, I think I will be fine with how this draft ends up.