The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 minute ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

What the hell is happening in Utica?? The Comets had a nice little run when Demko returned but they have sucked eggs for over a week. The losses are turning into blowouts.

Tonight they played a team that is probably the best team in the conference. Tampa Bay has stacked Syracuse with a great team.

But putting that aside the injuries on defense has caught up to them. There are only two healthy defensemen that are on NHL contracts and McEneny is still not at the same level that he was playing at before knee surgery last year. Jesse Graham is a train wreck and should never be playing in this league. Sifers is old and slow and Dirk is a work in progress.

Against some of the weaker teams the Comets were able to put some good efforts together with this defense and pull off a few wins.  But eventually they were bound to regress to what they really are and they could not skate on the same ice as a team like the Crunch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Tonight they played a team that is probably the best team in the conference. Tampa Bay has stacked Syracuse with a great team.

But putting that aside the injuries on defense has caught up to them. There are only two healthy defensemen that are on NHL contracts and McEneny is still not at the same level that he was playing at before knee surgery last year. Jesse Graham is a train wreck and should never be playing in this league. Sifers is old and slow and Dirk is a work in progress.

Against some of the weaker teams the Comets were able to put some good efforts together with this defense and pull off a few wins.  But eventually they were bound to regress to what they really are and they could not skate on the same ice as a team like the Crunch.

With so many of the D going down to injury it is not that surprising that they get exposed when playing a very talented team. Given the extent and length of the numerous injuries; it is a problem that is not likely going away any time soon

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Ouch.  That game sounds like a nightmare.  Better to just turn the page.  Ray Ferraro has often mentioned that he admires the Lightening's scouting staff and their picks.  They have built a very good organization with strong depth.  I hope we can move the Canucks organization in the same direction.  I hope they have a bounce back game on the 29th and those Utica fans deserve better.

7 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Never mind it is always darkest before the dawn.

I really hope we can get things turned around when we get some of our injured players back but when that will be who knows. I doubt we could even send Biega down because the way he is playing WD's LA or some other astute GM would snap him up.

• Upvote 1

If team looked tired last night, can't imagine what we will see tonight against Rochester.  Tough coming off a no-practice holiday break with back-to-backs, but three in three at this point is pushing it.  Really need to add a solid AHL defenseman and a veteran backup goalie who can start if Demko gets the call.  Patrick Wiercoch type-D-man would have helped this year.  Feel bad for Bachman, he was looking really good when he went down.   Low expectations for tonight but Demko capable of stealing one and I am not ruling out a surprise.  Less than 72 hours hours until automatic extension kicks in and you folks are stuck with us for a while longer. 

Edited by UTICANUCK
correction
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, sockeye said:

Ouch.  That game sounds like a nightmare.  Better to just turn the page.  Ray Ferraro has often mentioned that he admires the Lightening's scouting staff and their picks.  They have built a very good organization with strong depth.  I hope we can move the Canucks organization in the same direction.  I hope they have a bounce back game on the 29th and those Utica fans deserve better.

Tampa Bay is the model that most NHL teams should be following.  Patrick Williams cover the AHL for NHL.com

14 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Uticanuk; would you please elaborate on the details of the automatic extension as we are hearing and getting very little info at this end of the pipeline. Curious as to the length of the extension

Sounds more like it's an option to extend.  If Vancouver doesn't exercise the option - the current agreement will lapse and they would need to sign a new agreement.

From the Utica-OD back at the end of October:

https://www.uticaod.com/news/20181030/no-concerns-about-comets-affiliation-with-canucks

UTICA — There is much discussion about the partnership between the Utica Comets and the Vancouver Canucks.

While the hockey teams are in the final year of a six-year affiliation deal, there is talk of an option to extend the partnership for a few more seasons. Both sides have regularly spoken positively about the affiliation, despite the considerable distance between the teams.

“I think we have a terrific working relationship,” Comets President Rob Esche said Tuesday. “From a Hockey Operations standpoint, everybody is satisfied with what goes on in Utica. I think it is much ado about nothing, for the most part. It is definitely a talking point in media outlets.

“When you see me nervous, you’ll know it’s time to get nervous. I don’t see a reason to be.”

Esche said he understands the reasons an NHL club would want their affiliate closer in proximity. Other teams based on the west coast have moved their AHL affiliates closer in recent years to form the AHL’s Pacific Division. The possible options are limited, though, Esche said.

“In talking with president of the AHL, Dave Andrews, there simply (are not) the options out there that people think,” Esche said.

Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini recently said they are weighing their options. Esche knows it is possible the Canucks could eventually have their affiliate located closer to Vancouver. He said that could be years from now, though.

Esche reiterated Tuesday he’s confident an agreement will be reached on an extension with Vancouver.

“To them, what’s the rush in signing (an extension) right now? They have two months. They can do their due diligence,” Esche said of the January deadline to sign a deal.

“I don’t think they’re in hurry to up and leave.”

Esche said the Comets have created a case since 2013 why Utica is a “terrific AHL market,” which has been noticed around the league. The Comets recently set the league record for announced consecutive sold-out regular-season games — now at 122 — and Utica is the first hockey team to earn a Purple Heart Team distinction.

Vancouver officials are aware of the Comets’ popularity.

“One thing we have going for us is we have the opportunity to have these guys in their own beds every night,” said Esche, who noted the possibility of eventually being in position to purchase an AHL franchise similar to the situation in Syracuse. “If you’re going to put the onus on development and developing these kids quicker, Utica is probably one of the best locations in the American Hockey League with arguably the strongest fanbase in the American Hockey League.

“It is not concerning to me.”

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Sounds more like it's an option to extend.  If Vancouver doesn't exercise the option - the current agreement will lapse and they would need to sign a new agreement.

From the Utica-OD back at the end of October:

https://www.uticaod.com/news/20181030/no-concerns-about-comets-affiliation-with-canucks

That is my understanding as well. The Canucks have until Dec 31 to exercise an option to extend the current agreement for another 6 years with an out clause after 3 years.  Or they can let it expire and either negotiate a new contract with the Comets with different terms or move the AHL farm to a different city.

• Thanks 1

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Great drafting makes great teams eh? Whoda thunk? 

Tampa has done a great job drafting and developing in the entire draft and not just the first round.  What remains to be seen is can Brisebois continue to keep the success rate up with Yzerman out of the picture.  Surprisingly Brisebois did not hire an AGM to run the Crunch as he kept controll of both the NHL and AHL teams after Stevie Y stepped down.

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

Tampa has done a great job drafting and developing in the entire draft and not just the first round.  What remains to be seen is can Brisebois continue to keep the success rate up with Yzerman out of the picture.  Surprisingly Brisebois did not hire an AGM to run the Crunch as he kept controll of both the NHL and AHL teams after Stevie Y stepped down.

No one cares.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

That is my understanding as well. The Canucks have until Dec 31 to exercise an option to extend the current agreement for another 6 years with an out clause after 3 years.  Or they can let it expire and either negotiate a new contract with the Comets with different terms or move the AHL farm to a different city.

My understanding is that if nothing is done by 12/31/18 - it becomes an automatic 6-year extension with 3 years guarenteed. 

1 hour ago, UTICANUCK said:

My understanding is that if nothing is done by 12/31/18 - it becomes an automatic 6-year extension with 3 years guarenteed. 

That makes no sense. They were negotiating an extension last year. If there was an automatic renewal there is nothing to negotiate... They will let it pass and work out something later....