The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

39 minutes ago, UTICANUCK said:

Odd transaction - Cameranesi released before last night's game and then recalled after the game.  Added Hamilton and getting Gaudette.  Why bring him back?  Another Injury?  A Trade?  Also, no info on Boucher being scratched last night?  Healthy? Hurt? Doghouse? Trade?

Maybe the PTO ran out? I think when the PTO ends, the player must either be signed to a full AHL SPC, or they are released, at which point they are free to sign another PTO. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Per Comets beat writer strange case of Cameranesi continues - returned then re-added the next day and then returned again the same day.  So he is back in the ECHL for now.  Writer never did follow up on Boucher's scratch per his twitter tweet.  Maybe just a rest due to the three-in-three?  Do expect some type of movement as it happen's every year. In 2015 Benning traded away our leading scorer Dustin Jeffrey for Cory Conacher - which worked our ok for that season.

2 hours ago, UTICANUCK said:

Per Comets beat writer strange case of Cameranesi continues - returned then re-added the next day and then returned again the same day.  So he is back in the ECHL for now.  Writer never did follow up on Boucher's scratch per his twitter tweet.  Maybe just a rest due to the three-in-three?  Do expect some type of movement as it happen's every year. In 2015 Benning traded away our leading scorer Dustin Jeffrey for Cory Conacher - which worked our ok for that season.

Someone in a different Comets fan group mentioned that they talked to Boosh and he said that he hurt his elbow in the game against Syracuse. No mention of the severity of the injury though.

• Cheers 1

On 12/29/2018 at 7:35 AM, UticaHockey said:

Tampa has done a great job drafting and developing in the entire draft and not just the first round.  What remains to be seen is can Brisebois continue to keep the success rate up with Yzerman out of the picture.  Surprisingly Brisebois did not hire an AGM to run the Crunch as he kept controll of both the NHL and AHL teams after Stevie Y stepped down.

Revelation. You obviously haven't been a fan of the Canucks organization for very long. The previous management went all in to win during their prime years as they should have. They did it at the expense of draft picks, which in hindsight  probably didn't matter much since they were not good at drafting anyways.

From day 1 Benning has stated that he was going to build this team through the draft and he has done a good job. As I stated in response to Fred65's post that was praising the Lightning franchise, they are at least 4 or 5 years ahead of our rebuild. It's not fair to compare franchises at different stages of development, because every franchise rebuilds. The Lightning haven't been a consistent powerhouse. They stole the cup in 2004 and have made a conference final a couple of times, with lots of stretches of missing the playoffs. Now they're on the upside again. They won't be there forever..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

Revelation. You obviously haven't been a fan of the Canucks organization for very long. The previous management went all in to win during their prime years as they should have. They did it at the expense of draft picks, which in hindsight  probably didn't matter much since they were not good at drafting anyways.

From day 1 Benning has stated that he was going to build this team through the draft and he has done a good job. As I stated in response to Fred65's post that was praising the Lightning franchise, they are at least 4 or 5 years ahead of our rebuild. It's not fair to compare franchises at different stages of development, because every franchise rebuilds. The Lightning haven't been a consistent powerhouse. They stole the cup in 2004 and have made a conference final a couple of times, with lots of stretches of missing the playoffs. Now they're on the upside again. They won't be there forever..

And where, in the draft, did Tbay get Stamkos and Hedman?  They had to be bad to get those key players.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

While I agree with the statement, the fact is they had picks and as we have seen, there are great picks to be had in most of the rounds PROVIDING you can spot them and develop them. That is where the Canucks management were found wanting. The Moose years showed us how but then we lost sight of the process - by a long f-----g way.

Happy New Year to all our Utica friends and their families.

CeCVIJb.jpg

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I am familiar with the fact that previous Canucks management teams traded away draft picks to stay competitive but that tradition has continued under Benning instead of being halted.  In the Benning years the Canucks have still traded away more draft picks than they have acquired.  The Canucks should have been stockpiling draft picks the past four seasons but they didn't. 

I'm not even close to being a Lightning fan but I do admire how successful they are at drafting and developing players and how well they run their AHL farm team.  They are the gold standard that other teams should be trying to emulate in my opinion.  

• Upvote 2

I enjoy watching the Utica games on AHLTV but I think we are at least 2 years away from seeing the impact of Jim's drafting on our farm team.  I believe they have begun to lay the foundation for a long and successful time.  Happy New Year all. :towel:

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I am familiar with the fact that previous Canucks management teams traded away draft picks to stay competitive but that tradition has continued under Benning instead of being halted.  In the Benning years the Canucks have still traded away more draft picks than they have acquired.  The Canucks should have been stockpiling draft picks the past four seasons but they didn't. 

I'm not even close to being a Lightning fan but I do admire how successful they are at drafting and developing players and how well they run their AHL farm team.  They are the gold standard that other teams should be trying to emulate in my opinion.  

it has?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Here you go again.. the amount of picks you think Jim 'should' have acquired during the previous few years is not something that would sway Utica's success or lack thereof in either direction.

More whining from our resident Utica fans :) So looking forward to another 6 years(?) of this.

Jim has done a tremendous job drafting, and the proof will start to play out in the next 2 years in Utica. Til then I suppose we will suffer with your PA attempts to put down Canucks management in nearly every post you make.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

In the Benning years the Canucks have still traded away more draft picks than they have acquired.  The Canucks should have been stockpiling draft picks the past four seasons but they didn't. 

In a grand total of 5 years the Canucks are down by "one" pick. In that span of time JB has rebuilt the Canucks and has started to stockpile prospects in Utica. Look no further than the picks that he has drafted thus far: 2014, Virtanen and Demko; 2015, Boeser, Brisbois, Gaudette and Jasek; 2016, Juolevi and Lockwood; 2017. Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, Dipietro, Rathbone, Palmu and Brassard; 2018, Hughes, Woo and Madden. For what it is worth; I'll take quality of a pick over quantity every time. Also you neglected to consider the fact that he also added a number of FA's to Utica during that time, such as Chatfield, Sautner, MacEwen and Eliot who will play for Utica next year.

I do agree that Tampa has done a great job of building their organization from top to bottom but they are also at a different stage in the cycle so comparing Vancouver to Tampa is like comparing apples to Oranges. Five years from now we can all look back and see how much the landscapes have changed.

Tampa, IMO needs to push for the cup in the next two years before they are faced with an aging roster and a lot of NTC and NMC contracts to clear out. Vancouver, so far, has yet to have that problem as JB has not given out very many contracts that can not be moved if need be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

In a grand total of 5 years the Canucks are down by "one" pick. In that span of time JB has rebuilt the Canucks and has started to stockpile prospects in Utica. Look no further than the picks that he has drafted thus far: 2014, Virtanen and Demko; 2015, Boeser, Brisbois, Gaudette and Jasek; 2016, Juolevi and Lockwood; 2017. Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, Dipietro, Rathbone, Palmu and Brassard; 2018, Hughes, Woo and Madden. For what it is worth; I'll take quality of a pick over quantity every time. Also you neglected to consider the fact that he also added a number of FA's to Utica during that time, such as Chatfield, Sautner, MacEwen and Eliot who will play for Utica next year.

I do agree that Tampa has done a great job of building their organization from top to bottom but they are also at a different stage in the cycle so comparing Vancouver to Tampa is like comparing apples to Oranges. Five years from now we can all look back and see how much the landscapes have changed.

Tampa, IMO needs to push for the cup in the next two years before they are faced with an aging roster and a lot of NTC and NMC contracts to clear out. Vancouver, so far, has yet to have that problem as JB has not given out very many contracts that can not be moved if need be.

I'll assume that your math is correct in regards to how many draft picks they're down. But even if it's only one pick that they're down, you'd still think that because scouting is Benning's specialty and he's proven that he's more than capable of finding good players in the draft, that he'd give himself every opportunity to increase his picks and assets and not decrease them. I will also say that I don't think that Benning did himself any favors by wasting a year or two trying to figure out if they should try and retool or rebuild. The AWFUL Eriksson signing is proof of that.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

I will also say that I don't think that Benning did himself any favors by wasting a year or two trying to figure out if they should try and retool or rebuild.

So you know, for a verified fact, with links to the story, that it was Benning's decision on when to rebuild?

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

So you know, for a verified fact, with links to the story, that it was Benning's decision on when to rebuild?

No I don't, but he's the guy making the trades, picks and signings. The FACT that he made that terrible LE signing when the Sedin's were already past their primes and he talked about getting younger was a bit contradictory. Then the following year he admits to a full on rebuild. It might not have been his decision alone, but there was a distinct lack of forethought.....and he's the one who is in charge of roster decisions.  

• Upvote 2

The Erickson signing was a good deal for the player every one expected to show up, unfortunately that guy died on opening night when he scored on his own team.

Loui hasn't been the same since then.

iirc, despite Loui being an older guy the average age of the team  was down the next season.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1