The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning, Goldobin, and a logjam of forwards?

Mike Vanderhoek

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

-Massive roster turnover.

-Increasingly younger roster, year over year.

-Bottom 5 to top 5 prospect pool in 4 years.

If it walks like a rebuild and it quacks like a rebuild....

They've said and done exactly the same thing for 4 years. Try to maintain a 'competitive' (ie: not playoff) NHL team, with a clear eye towards and focus on, the future.

AKA - a rebuild.

But keep on building that false narrative up in your head on some vague marketing statements all while ignoring reality....

Rebuilt almost part of the old core in those first few seasons... part of the core. 

Water under the bridge now. I think any fan of the team, still standing, is a hardcore Canucks fan at heart. 

Would you hope for the same rebuild ‘plan’ if you could ask for a do-over? 

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Good question. 

I wanted them to blow it up but as fans we hope for the best.

Now we can see that they should have blown it up. 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Rebuilt almost part of the old core in those first few seasons... part of the core. 

Water under the bridge now. I think any fan of the team, still standing, is a hardcore Canucks fan at heart. 

I never wanted Eriksson signed. Would have preferred we spent Miller's money on Niskanen for example at the time (though I can't fault JB on that, Miller was great here). I also would have tried to move Tanev, especially before injuries and NTC's (though I can also fully understand why we didn't).

Otherwise I have very little qualms about how they've rebuilt short of very minor missteps (can't expect perfection) and those are largely with a HEAVY dose of Captain Hindsighting.

We've kept all our 1sts and drafted well, moved the vets we actually could realistically move and they've restocked the cupboards to a degree we've never seen despite having very little to sell and having very little to start with.

Not much to 'fix'.

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

?

What parts do you get to "do over"?  People can "hope" for all the dream and fantasy conditions they want, but "man makes plans...."

Would anyone hope to have a handful of fullNTC and NMCs?  No, of course they would not "hope" for the limiting conditions.  Do you get to deal the Sedins, Edler etc and get to return assets on them?

Do you get to do the Gillis and Tortorella eras over as well?   Do we get to move more pieces when they had more value?  Do we get to deal them before the Tortorella gong-show?

Are we supposed to correct the signings we didn't like?  Or are we supposed to 'plan' on better returns than what actually transpired?  Trade more (imaginary) assets for better futures and picks?

Does the 'plan' require that you deal with the same context Benning inherited?

11 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

ok, are all of you actually the same person with 3 accounts?  or did something happen to the water here in Vancouver?

sounds like you're the one that should check what you're consuming.

Management quote with the word "retool" - or it didn't happen.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

really?  when did that happen?  got quote?

Your kidding right. They wouldn't even utter the word rebuild for the first three seasons. LOL

They only said rebuild once they realized that they should have done a rebuild.

Just now, appleboy said:

Your kidding right. They wouldn't even utter the word rebuild for the first three seasons. LOL

I don't see a quote.  Just a sidestep and some random noise like the poster you pretend to answer for.

When did anyone associated with the management group ever utter the word "retool".

If you can actually provide an answer for @canucksnihilist, fill your boots.  He doesn't seem able, and your own attempt is equally weak.

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

They uttered it when they realized their marketing speak avoidance of it was causing as many problems as it was solving and then dared utter the obvious (to anyone not myopically clinging to a narrative) to 'unite the fan base'.

Just now, appleboy said:

these guys just like to argue for no reason - they know they are wrong they just argue for the fun of it.  It really doesn't bother me, I only log in here to joust with them once in a while it seems.   Certainly they can't admit one point I've ever had as being true, and I instinctually fight back against people like that.  haha!  its fun if you haven't done it in a while.  

1 minute ago, canucksnihilist said:

these guys just like to argue for no reason - they know they are wrong they just argue for the fun of it.  It really doesn't bother me, I only log in here to joust with them once in a while it seems.   Certainly they can't admit one point I've ever had as being true, and I instinctually fight back against people like that.  haha!  its fun if you haven't done it in a while.  

They seem to be like a mouth piece for what ever the owners do.  Free season tickets or something. Certainly not living in reality. LOL

3 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Actual photo of you posting? :P

head-in-the-ground.jpg

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't see a quote.  Just a sidestep and some random noise like the poster you pretend to answer for.

When did anyone associated with the management group ever utter the word "retool".

If you can actually provide an answer for @canucksnihilist, fill your boots.  He doesn't seem able, and your own attempt is equally weak.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/the-canucks-are-not-three-years-into-a-rebuild-trevor-1.14871041

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-look-to-retool-not-rebuild-after-elimination-from-playoffs/article24178879/

there are tons more.   just use a search engine.  shall I post instructions on how to use one of them?  Or do you think you can figure it out?

Can you provide any backup to the canucks actively trying to reubild in years 1-3?  Or is all you have supposition without any external validation whatsoever?  

you are the weak one my friend.  stop while you are ahead.

49 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

nope.  there are successful patterns to a rebuild.  aka. stock up on draft picks..   how can you even debate that?

Honestly it’s not worth the time. There’s quotes on all of them (the same cdc posters saying we’ve been rebuilding all along) debating that this team didn’t need to rebuild that a retool is better suited. Haha.

The problem is they think broad terms like roster turn over and adding young players to the roster is the definition of a rebuild. Unfortunately under those conditions 70% of teams in the league could be considered a rebuilding team. They will never admit they are wrong 

2 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

have you been able to admit anything they say as being true, or are you always right?

3 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Blah, blah - 'I'm going to play games and babble about the posters - about noise that has nothing to do with hockey - instead of answer a simple question.'

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

well when they call it a "retool"

such a simple question.

when did they call it a "retool".

Really easy to answer if you heard that - quotes are simple.  Searching a single word = also really simple.

Here is an exact quote from Linden.

" We don't plan on taking any steps backwards. We are trying to win. We are trying to make the playoffs and we will do everything we can to do that." 

Does that sound like a rebuild.

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

have you been able to admit anything they say as being true, or are you always right?

of course.  they have a lot of good points.  like the support for younger players by bringing in a way for them to transition - that is probably the plan.  and how the players should earn a spot.  

issue I have is the reasons for their reasons.  I see a different machination governing what is going on than they do.  So they don't want to talk about that ;)

11 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Nice try - but even more exceedingly weak.  I guess you're hoping no one actually looks at those sources.

The first article = not a single reference to "retool".

The second, you have an interpretation from JOSHUA CLIPPERTON who thinks what they're doing is a 'retool on the fly' -  no quote - certainly no quote from management.

Weak stuff.

When did this management group ever call it a "retool"?  Apparently you heard them say that.?

Here's what Benning actually said in the second article:

"Going forward now, young players are important," said Benning, who commended the Flames for having impact rookies in their series. "That's what we're looking to do. We know we're getting a little bit older, but we want to bring in young players to supplement the energy and skill level of our whole group."

Making that happen could be easier said than done. The Canucks have a number of veterans with no-trade clauses in contracts that were signed by the previous management regime. Benning asked former defenceman Jason Garrison, who was eventually dealt, to waive his no-trade clause last summer, while disgruntled forward Ryan Kesler was also moved.

Benning said he wouldn't hesitate to make the same call again, but added it's a difficult situation.

"When you go to a player and you approach him to do that, then they have all the leverage and they decide which teams they want to go to," the GM said. "Right now, we're just digesting what happened in the series and in the season and we'll figure that out going forward."

Any quote from Linden or Benning where they call it a "retool".

Should be a simple and easy enough task.

Archived