The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning, Goldobin, and a logjam of forwards?

Mike Vanderhoek

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Is there a log jam?

I see a full compliment of players with some kids pushing to make the club. If a prospect earns a spot then they make room. Someone gets trade or waived. You also have to remember that injuries have decimated this club over the last two years. 

The idea of a log jam is pushed by the media.

Absolutely.  Look what happened last year, all those depth signings, we still had the Sedins, and only one prospect ready to play in Boeser.  He was scratched and a culmnitave vein was throbbing on the temples of all media outlets as to why.  Turned out fine right?  And to think some posters thought it would matter in the Calder race, it didn't.  Benning knows his job is saddled to these kids making the NHL and succeeding, which is why he' making sure they earn a spot and aren't gifted a spot,  he needs them aware that others are right behind them and their best games are required to stay.  Dahlen, Pettersson and Gaudette had otherworldly development years last season, if that continues with the guys behind them it will bode well for all their chances of making the lineup and sticking once  they do.  We don't need to worry about the Boucher, Goldobin and Gaunce's of the team, if they end up waived its for a good reason.  Goldobin maybe him, but that won't happen until Green and co are sure it's the right move, and that will be on Goldy more than anyone else (if it happens).

edit: some spelling above.  

2 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

That's thinking highly of Gaudette. I could see 2C, but Gaunce and Kero are both great AHLers.

As far as Lind goes, he could find a spot. My projection was based on Gaunce passing through waivers, while Gagner and Archibald both get claimed. If Gaunce is claimed off waivers (I don't know who would), then I could see Kero moving up to 1C, Gaudette to 2C, Motte to 2R, and Lind slotting in at 3R.

I agree with you..I think another team will pick up Gaunce and Goldobin if there on waivers..

Sending Gaudette to Utica for 20-30 games until they they make some trades..

Canucks have way too many forwards...The forwards on bubble are Bouchard, Archiebald, Motte, Goldobin..

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree with you..I think another team will pick up Gaunce and Goldobin if there on waivers..

Canucks have way too many forwards...The forwards on bubble are Bouchard, Archiebald, Motte, Goldobin..

Boucher is almost 100% going to the AHL. Archibald could go either way, but he's press box material if he stays, unless he plays out of his mind. Motte's an AHLer.

Goldobin IIRC can pass through without waivers. But I'd expect if his next 10 games look like his last 10 games, he stays up.

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

He made room for Boeser and for Stecher but you're right, this year is different.  The crap will hit the fan.  And every year, it's going to get harder to make the team.  Goldy is a great example, last year he was on the bubble and played 38 games.  Unless he makes a big step forward, he's back in Utica.  This change of tack of signing free agents to shore up the bottom 6 and add grit has put Gaunce on the hot seat.  It's going to take a miracle for him to make the team at all I'm sorry to say.  Chaput, who played 68 games 2 years ago is nowhere to be seen. 

What is more, the following year will be even bigger.  Hughes and Juolevi for sure will be strong candidates.  And there's a whole laundry list of Benning's draftees who will have a year of pro under their belts.  Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Dahlen, and more perhaps (I know Dahlen wasn't drafted by JB)

I really hope that ownership has the cojones to let the snowball gather steam.

Goldy can't go to Utica.  He requires waivers.

imo, the six G's will determine, who is up and who is down.

gagner, gaunce, goldobin, granlund, gaudette and gadjovich.

other guys vying for work up are, pettersson, dahlen, lind and leipsic.

i don't see, archibald, boucher, motte, macewen or palmu starting up.

these are good decisions to have. 

21 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Boucher is almost 100% going to the AHL. Archibald could go either way, but he's press box material if he stays, unless he plays out of his mind. Motte's an AHLer.

Goldobin IIRC can pass through without waivers. But I'd expect if his next 10 games look like his last 10 games, he stays up.

Motte's got 3rd line, NHL ceiling IMO. He has 1 game left before requiring waivers though so he's likely a victim of math. For now. (As is Archibald IMO, waivers 'risk' or not).

Goldobin requires waivers.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  Look what happened last year, all those depth signings, we still had the Sedins, and only one prospect ready to play in Boeser.  He was scratched and a culmnitave vein was throbbing on the temples of all media outlets as to why.  Turned out fine right?  And to think some posters thought it would matter in the Calder race, it didn't.  Benning knows his job is saddled to these kids making the NHL and succeeding, which is why he' making sure they earn a spot and aren't gifted a spot,  he needs them aware that others are right behind them and their best games are required to stay.  Dahlen, Pettersson and Gaudette had otherworldly development years last season, if that continues with the guys behind them it will bode well for all their chances of making the lineup and sticking once  they do.  We don't need to worry about the Boucher, Goldobin and Gaunce's of the team, if they end up waived its for a good reason.  Goldobin maybe him, but that won't happen until Green and co are sure it's the right move, and that will be on Goldy more than anyone else (if it happens).

edit: some spelling above.  

Exactly.

There is lots of ways to make room if someone makes it out of camp. What if no one is quite ready? Then you are scrambling to fill some holes. I think fans forget that we have to ice a team no matter what. As many of us have noted the new additions are not taking up anyone's positions because we have no one in the system of that ilk.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Exactly.

There is lots of ways to make room if someone makes it out of camp. What if no one is quite ready? Then you are scrambling to fill some holes. I think fans forget that we have to ice a team no matter what. As many of us have noted the new additions are not taking up anyone's positions because we have no one in the system of that ilk.

Exactly.

And if guy's like Gaudette, Dahlen etc look close and/or get to the point in Utica later this season where you feel comfortable moving a guy like Gagner, Baer or Granlund to replace them with, you make room and trade them.

This isn't a'problem'.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Gaunce and Goldobin are on their last legs and if they cannot impress at camp I cannot see any team wanting our seconds. I am actually looking forward to losing some of these "ingerers"so they can make room for better candidates. 

The others you mentioned fall into that category as well. I believe this is the year a lot of these guys will have to show that they have what it takes or not to play in the NHL or they will have to look at other forms of work such as the AHL or Europe.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Motte's got 3rd line, NHL ceiling IMO. He has 1 game left before requiring waivers though so he's likely a victim of math. For now. (As is Archibald IMO, waivers 'risk' or not).

Goldobin requires waivers.

Goldobin will make the team because of this even if someone else plays his heart out at camp/pre-season and maybe deserves a spot on the team (Dahlen?) ...he's on thin ice given he's had some shots already, it could go either way but I'm hoping he gets some time on a scoring line and scores a bunch of goals early so management can plan to off load a veteran.  Nobody but Horvat and Boeser are safe from a trade right now (ok Edler too with his desire to stay)..

23 hours ago, xereau said:

It could be far, far worse. No?  Instead of having too many NHL level players signed, here are some names that could still be around.  

Ronalds Ķēniņš

Eddie Läck

Brandon McMillan

Adam Clendening

Joe Cannata

Taylor Fedun

Linden Vey

Alex Friesen

Bobby Sanguinetti

Dustin Jeffrey

Mike Zalewski

Niklas Jensen

Kellan Lain

Pascal Pelletier

Raphael Diaz

Jack Skille

Jayson Megna

Chad Billins

Joseph Crammarosa

Borna Rendulic

Drew Shore

Emerson Etem

Matt Bartkowski

Brandon DeFazio

Benn Ferriero

Zac Dalpe

Willie Desjardins saw this post and asked "What's the problem?"

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Gaunce and Goldobin are on their last legs and if they cannot impress at camp I cannot see any team wanting our seconds. I am actually looking forward to losing some of these "ingerers"so they can make room for better candidates. 

The others you mentioned fall into that category as well. I believe this is the year a lot of these guys will have to show that they have what it takes or not to play in the NHL or they will have to look at other forms of work such as the AHL or Europe.

What’s the rule on sending down Gaunce or Goldobin... I thought if another team claims them, they have to keep them in the NHL?

Maybe a cap-strapped contender takes a flyer on Gaunce for their bottom 6 and maybe a crappy team thinks they can squeeze Goldy into their top 6... but those are big “maybes.”

41 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

What’s the rule on sending down Gaunce or Goldobin... I thought if another team claims them, they have to keep them in the NHL?

Maybe a cap-strapped contender takes a flyer on Gaunce for their bottom 6 and maybe a crappy team thinks they can squeeze Goldy into their top 6... but those are big “maybes.”

Yes, loosely, he'd need to stay in the NHL. 

There's also the 'benefit' that (especially with Goldobin) that if he isn't good enough this camp to earn a spot (on a bottom 5, rebuilding team)... is that a terribly attractive piece to pluck off waivers? Gee, our very own Bouchard/Pulkkinen....:wacko:

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Exactly.

And if guy's like Gaudette, Dahlen etc look close and/or get to the point in Utica later this season where you feel comfortable moving a guy like Gagner, Baer or Granlund to replace them with, you make room and trade them.

This isn't a'problem'.

The team is also letting it out that they have no problem sending vets down. They have enough cap space to do so.

If they waive Gagner and someone grabs him then they will just smile.

19 hours ago, cory40 said:

Who cares how it has come about. Its good management. We finally have some depth and a couple game changers in the system.

Depth ... are you kidding.   We finished near the bottom of the league last year......   don't you remember. 

That is not depth.   That is AHL quality players....

Really is time to move some of our unproductive veteran  forwards and make room for our younger players. 

Really need to see more from Sven and Granny if they want to remain long term canucks....

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

The team is also letting it out that they have no problem sending vets down. They have enough cap space to do so.

If they waive Gagner and someone grabs him then they will just smile.

That's me smiling.

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Depth ... are you kidding.   We finished near the bottom of the league last year......   don't you remember. 

Really is time to move some of our unproductive veteran  forwards and make room for our younger players. 

Really need to see more from Sven and Granny if they want to remain long term canucks....

I agree, but they have proven they can do it which does count for something.  Both have scored around the same as t Joe Thornton and Stamkos did their first year, we need to temper expectations with our other rookies, it's a delicate dance as to when you should cut bait (see W Karlsson as the ultimate example), at the same time I absolutely agree if another player had shown his value and looks like a good replacement then trade the guys that have some value and get what we can for them.

30 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Depth = measure of quantity, not quality.

Archived