The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has the Western World Lost Moderate/Centrist Politics?

Rob_Zepp

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you had a chance to listen to the story on 980 I think its clearer whats going on. The pride organizers were pretty hurt by the VPLs decision to host an anti-trans person. Its obviously very important to them, and their event. 

But thats nothing like the pride organizers "becoming like their oppressors" as some here want to suggest. If that were true, they'd be banning all straight people. 

The organizers clearly thought a lot about their decision and made their stand on it. I get some people don't like it but its a situation where they felt they needed to stick to their principles. 

This is actually a case where everyone has exercised their rights and no one is technically in the wrong. IMO people should try a little harder to understand the position of the organizers before reacting so harshly. You may not ultimately agree with them but might at least see more of the whole picture. 

No matter how it’s put, the gay pride people are trying to influence who the VPL and UBC have for speakers.  That’s totally wrong.  The city could say no more pride parade too, which would be wrong.  

2 hours ago, gurn said:

They are controlling who can be in their parade, that is all.

UBC is free to allow who ever they want to speak at their university.

Layman's terms.

you can say whatever you want in your house, but when over at my place chose your words wisely or gTFO

So now they own the streets as well? Case in point.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whats with all the confused faces @Boeserker :lol: should i use more memes? 

Keep playing aloof with me. It's cute.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

No matter how it’s put, the gay pride people are trying to influence who the VPL and UBC have for speakers.  That’s totally wrong.  The city could say no more pride parade too, which would be wrong.  

ah, we'll have to agree to disagree my friend. I don't know why people who want to help trans rights also have to support places that host anti-trans views. Seems cruel to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah, we'll have to agree to disagree my friend. I don't know why people who want to help trans rights also have to support places that host anti-trans views. Seems cruel to me. 

It’s okay to discuss and disagree.  I wish the gay people and those who oppose them could just discuss their issues with each other too.  No stupid fighting.  Just talk, learn, and accept.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

UBC and the VPL hosts free, independent thought and purposeful discussion. You know, the foundations of a democratic society?

For one minority group to try and press their will on the rest of the population while smothering everyone else's right to free speech, thought and association in a public place is unacceptable.

If it was going the other way there would be a huge uproar and possible hate crime charges so WHY THE DOUBLE STANDARD??

1 minute ago, Boeserker said:

UBC and the VPL hosts free, independent thought and purposeful discussion. You know, the foundations of a democratic society?

For one minority group to try and press their will on the rest of the population while smothering everyone else's right to free speech, thought and association in a public place is unacceptable.

If it was going the other way there would be a huge uproar and possible hate crime charges so WHY THE DOUBLE STANDARD??

I think there is a double standard because gay people have literally been beaten and mistreated for a long time.  Maybe they’re scared?  I really wouldn’t blame them if they are.  However, even so, I still believe the gay people are wrong to try and suppress others’ views.  What they should be doing IMO is talking to these people, and trying to educate the ignorant.  

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're one weird fellow 

...and Proud of it!   :bigblush:

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think there is a double standard because gay people have literally been beaten and mistreated for a long time.  Maybe they’re scared?  I really wouldn’t blame them if they are.  However, even so, I still believe the gay people are wrong to try and suppress others’ views.  What they should be doing IMO is talking to these people, and trying to educate the ignorant.  

I understand the why's, kinda. I just like to point out the hypocrisy to keep everyone grounded and honest. 

23 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

I understand the why's, kinda. I just like to point out the hypocrisy to keep everyone grounded and honest. 

Where's the hypocrisy in this situation?  

Nah, seriously @Boeserker, please explain what's hypocritical about Pride not allowing organizations that give anti-trans speakers a forum in their parade.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boeserker said:

yeah... there actually isn't one. No one did anything wrong on either side. Thats actually possible you know. 

• Upvote 1

Anyways, some more ironing is in how much exposure is now being drawn to the speaker at the Library, whom I would have never heard from or about were it not for the exclusivity of the inclusivity parade. Interesting that there are more than one side to the whole thing, who knew?

1 minute ago, Boeserker said:

Anyways, some more ironing is in how much exposure is now being drawn to the speaker at the Library, whom I would have never heard from or about were it not for the exclusivity of the inclusivity parade. Interesting that there are more than one side to the whole thing, who knew?

I'm curious - why do you require the pride parade to have more rules than say the Santa Claus parade? I'm being serious. I'd like to know why you are applying two sets of rules to parades that get permits for public spaces. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm curious - why do you require the pride parade to have more rules than say the Santa Claus parade? I'm being serious. I'd like to know why you are applying two sets of rules to parades that get permits for public spaces. 

I’m going to go with “because he doesn’t care much for Pride”, Jimmy.

• Haha 1

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

I’m going to go with “because he doesn’t care much for Pride”, Jimmy.

yeah could be... I would just like him to explain why we don't see a Nazi float right after the elves. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"yeah could be... I would just like him to explain why we don't see a Nazi float right after the elves. "

??I'm not applying any rules to anything. You're getting another confusey face if I have any left :P

I'm sorry, Sant Claus...?? What? Is he banning Institutions of public knowledge and free thought from his parade now? Or has been waiving his merry bits in people's faces? I'm confused...

Speaking of which. I thought they banned "Santa Claus" from  being used in the name of the parade, no? Another victim of extreme Liberalism if you ask me.

R.I.P.  St Nick.

So The Elves are to Pride parade as Nazi's are to Vancouver Public Library. Ya, there's no disconnect there, at all. LMAO keep going

Edited by Boeserker
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Because those institutions are knowledge institutions. In a knowledge institution, it’s criticsl that each and every idea, fact, etc. Are critiqued, shown the supportive and non supportive evidence, etc. To come to a knowledge based positions. University, libraries etc are kind of obligated in principle to platform any conceivable thought. Else it’s just a propaganda machine, which is the antithesis of education( which always is the end product of discourse).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Pride parade is public and fully inclusive.  It’s not their house; it’s our house.  As a person who watches every year, I would throw empty bottles at people who were trying to ruin the parade.  Still, UBC kids should fully be allowed (and encouraged) to march in the parade carrying their school’s banner.  It shows the kids are in support of the gay people.  

The University there in Vancouver is a public entity (looked it up).   It isn't a private institution and is supposed to be a bastion of free speech and open minds.   The perpetually offended are turning even public places into sanctuaries of closed-mindedness.   

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Boeserker said:

"yeah could be... I would just like him to explain why we don't see a Nazi float right after the elves. "

??I'm not applying any rules to anything. You're getting another confusey face if I have any left :P

I'm sorry, Sant Claus...?? What? Is he banning Institutions of public knowledge and free thought from his parade now? Or has been waiving his merry bits in people's faces? I'm confused...

Speaking of which. I thought they banned "Santa Claus" from  being used in the name of the parade, no? Another victim of extreme Liberalism if you ask me.

R.I.P.  St Nick.

So The Elves are to Pride parade as Nazi's are to Vancouver Public Library. Ya, there's no disconnect there, at all. LMAO keep going

but you are. You want the pride parade to run by different rules than any other publicly held event. Please explain why. 

• Haha 1