The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has the Western World Lost Moderate/Centrist Politics?

Rob_Zepp

2 hours ago, Boeserker said:

I don't know where else to put this and I sure as heel am not going to start a topic on it!

When you are banning bastions of free thought and public learning from your events, you just might have become the person you claim to despise most.

This group has banned both UBC and the Public Library from their "Inclusivity Event". Has the Left gone so far up their ass that they have met with the right on the other side? It starting to trend that way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-pride-bans-library-from-parade-over-event-featuring-transphobic-activist-1.5221943

Basically, Pride is an LGBT event. The VPL hosted a speaker who is firmly against the T part of LGBT. Pride doesn't want the VPL participating in their event unless the VPL addresses what happened to Pride's satisfaction. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Basically, Pride is an LGBT event. The VPL hosted a speaker who is firmly against the T part of LGBT. Pride doesn't want the VPL participating in their event unless the VPL addresses what happened to Pride's satisfaction. 

the VPL is allowed to host free speech events, Pride is free to invite who they want to participate. There's no legal issue here. People are free to do what they want. No one is "banning free thought" 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the VPL is allowed to host free speech events, Pride is free to invite who they want to participate. There's no legal issue here. People are free to do what they want. No one is "banning free thought" 

Yeah, it's basically just a spat between two entities.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Really? Reading a lot of the replies in this thread it seems likes it’s the entire left....

I really need need to find some group of people to blame all the sh***y things that have happened in my life on. Or, of course, man the fu*k up!

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not yet, anyways.

The irony and the hypocrisy have almost come full circle, imo.

Edited by Boeserker

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Not really. But then, you've made your feelings on Pride clear already. 

Let's focus on the issue please. I knew somebody would say this.

I am only relating info I heard on Global. Take it up with them.

Edited by Boeserker

1 minute ago, Boeserker said:

Nobody wants to talk about this one hey?

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 3.55.40 PM.png

I already did. 

You should also probably wait more than a few minutes, on a Wednesday afternoon, to declare that no one wants to talk about it. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Boeserker said:

I don't know where else to put this and I sure as heel am not going to start a topic on it!

When you are banning bastions of free thought and public learning from your events, you just might have become the person you claim to despise most.

This group has banned both UBC and the Public Library from their "Inclusivity Event". Has the Left gone so far up their ass that they have met with the right on the other side? It starting to trend that way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-pride-bans-library-from-parade-over-event-featuring-transphobic-activist-1.5221943

that's nothing, couple of days ago they got offended over a plate

normal people: i don't like this plate, so i don't buy it

sjw libtards: i don't like this plate, so no one should buy it

insanity continues

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mom-jean-plates-macys-pulls-plates-with-mom-jeans-and-skinny-jeans-portions/

• Thanks 1

The whole premise of this thread makes me laugh...

If your ideals and principles put you in a particular spot on the political spectrum and you claim that it's the "center", (wherever it might be) then whatever is to your right or left can be considered "radical".

It appears as though certain folks here believe that if, for instance, one believes in man-made Climate change, or LGBTQ rights, then you're some sort of "far left, radical SJW/Libtard", Yet those same people bristle at being lumped in with the far right, even though they dispute the idea of man made Climate Change, rail at Gender Equality, (there seems to be this pervasive belief that if the PM appointed a gender balanced cabinet, then by definition, he had to have passed over better qualified male candidates in doing so) or attempt to promote fiction about what goes on a Pride parades, in the guise of "protecting children".....

I've got news for you self-proclaimed "centrists": You're not as "central" as you think you are.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Does the Pride parade, which I enjoy watching, take place on public streets?  There is no way the Pride people should be trying to use whatever leverage they have (with the popularity of their parade) to stop freedom of speech in Universities.  Yes, we don’t like what some people say.  However, if that person’s speech isn’t breaking any laws, they are entitled to speak, and the University should promote their speech.  It’s up to the citizen to listen, and make a personal choice on the value of said speech.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Boeserker said:

Nobody wants to talk about this one hey?

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 3.55.40 PM.png

I’ll talk on the picture.  What’s wrong with it?  In the fifties and sixties, lots of ladies ironed.  Most mom’s stayed home and did this kind of stuff.  Dad’s worked.  Advertising an iron, during that time, would obviously have a woman model.  

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’ll talk on the picture.  What’s wrong with it?  In the fifties and sixties, lots of ladies ironed.  Most mom’s stayed home and did this kind of stuff.  Dad’s worked.  Advertising an iron, during that time, would obviously have a woman model.  

You the real hero here Alf. Is there any way we can vote for you for next Prime Minister?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does the Pride parade, which I enjoy watching, take place on public streets?  There is no way the Pride people should be trying to use whatever leverage they have (with the popularity of their parade) to stop freedom of speech in Universities.  Yes, we don’t like what some people say.  However, if that person’s speech isn’t breaking any laws, they are entitled to speak, and the University should promote their speech.  It’s up to the citizen to listen, and make a personal choice on the value of said speech.  

they're not trying to stop free speech at uni's, they're saying if you support people with anti-LBGTQ views they don't want you in their parade. Its an important distinction. And I think one most people could understand given their history.