The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jannik Hansen signs in KHL

30 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

I laugh at how homer topics like this are. Just because he was a Canuck a bunch of you think he was like 10 times better than he was. No Hands Hansen was a fast grinder who managed to work out ok with the Sedins otherwise belonged on the 4th line and penalty kill. 

Also garunteed you would watch like 5 breakaways every night where he just showcased his terrible hands and then bobbled the puck or shot it straight into the crest or pads. 

Gonna guess that when a sense of humour was being handed out, you were out for a smoke and a coffee.  No one here thinks for a moment that Hansen was some sort of goal scoring and point generating dynamo during his days as a Canuck.  Lighten up a little bit there Lars...or did the hit to your coconut by Eric Gryba that made your coach nearly cry in the day-after-game presser (@ 11 seconds of the clip, where you want to pull out a tissue) leave you with any sort of sensibility that most of us are joking about Hansen winning the goal scoring title in the KHL? 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Most teams have a top 9 now where the third line is expected to provide offense .   The better teams have 4 attacking lines.  The old way of looking at lines just doesn’t relate to team building nowadays.

Roussel and Beagle are not being paid as 4th liners and wot be getting 4th line minutes.

Adding three UFAs certainly means that it will be exceedingly difficult for a kid (aside from Petterson) to crack the roster.  There is a fine line between putting obstacles in their way to overcome and putting roadblocks that can’t be overcome.  13 forward spots and  3 more become unavailable... it is pretty basic math.

By the way, good pick up on an autocorrect error

IMO, Dahlen is competing for Leipsic/Goldobin's spot and if he shows up and earns it, I'd have no problem waiving both guys. I'd say Dahlen will also have a much better shot once Gagner is moved, but I'm sure the team would like to see his progress amongst others as well before making the move.

Roussel, Beagle and Schaller are in roles that we don't have ready to go prospects to fill. There may be 13 forward spots, but you have to build a team, not just the top 13 offensive producers.

5 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Gonna guess that when a sense of humour was being handed out, you were out for a smoke and a coffee.  No one here thinks for a moment that Hansen was some sort of goal scoring and point generating dynamo during his days as a Canuck.  Lighten up a little bit there Lars...or did the hit to your coconut by Eric Gryba that made your coach nearly cry in the day-after-game presser (@ 11 seconds of the clip, where you want to pull out a tissue) leave you with any sort of sensibility that most of us are joking about Hansen winning the goal scoring title in the KHL? 

This has nothing to do with sarcasm posts about KHL scoring titles. It's more about all the people that think he could still play NHL hockey one day. He didn't belong in the nhl when we fleeced San Jose for him let alone now.   

11 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

This has nothing to do with sarcasm posts about KHL scoring titles. It's more about all the people that think he could still play NHL hockey one day. He didn't belong in the nhl when we fleeced San Jose for him let alone now.   

He suffered some injuries in his final season with us, but his numbers indicated that he was producing at a 0.46ppg pace (38 points over a full season) which is well within his career average. To put it into perspective, our top point producer that season was a 52 point Bo Horvat. Hansen's passing was very underrated and certainly didn't help that the team wasn't scoring that season overall.

10 hours ago, LarsEller said:

He didn't belong in the nhl when we fleeced San Jose

I'm not sure how you could say he wasn't a legitimate NHL player at that time. You could make that argument for his time in San Jose obviously, but he was very clearly an NHL player in Vancouver and a pretty quality one at that.

On 01/08/2018 at 3:19 PM, nzan said:

Is his game that much different than Roussel’s?

Roussel is worth $4m, but Hansen can’t even get a contract?

I don’t get it. I would have brought him back and watched his game round back into form as his old role was given back to him. 

I bet Bo would agree with me.

That is exactly what I posted prior to the Roussel signing. I would rather have had Hansen for 2 years than Roussel. What a waste. At least Hansen won his fights too.

11 hours ago, LarsEller said:

Bollocks.

12 hours ago, LarsEller said:

I laugh at how homer topics like this are. Just because he was a Canuck a bunch of you think he was like 10 times better than he was. No Hands Hansen was a fast grinder who managed to work out ok with the Sedins otherwise belonged on the 4th line and penalty kill. 

Also garunteed you would watch like 5 breakaways every night where he just showcased his terrible hands and then bobbled the puck or shot it straight into the crest or pads. 

Actually no. He was one of our best second tier players. Speed kills and Hansen showed that most nights - you don't need "great hands" if that's your beef, when you are leaving the opposition in your slipstream.

Hansen was also a guy who never hung back when there was any trouble and the difference between Hansen and say Burr in that respect was Hansen was a legit "handful" when he was angry.

18 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

That is exactly what I posted prior to the Roussel signing. I would rather have had Hansen for 2 years than Roussel. What a waste. At least Hansen won his fights too.

Hey I am a huge fan of hansen, always have been but come on! 6 nhl fights in 11 seasons. Last year he fought Sam Gagne... it was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Hey I am a huge fan of hansen, always have been but come on! 6 nhl fights in 11 seasons. Last year he fought Sam Gagne... it was embarrassing.

Loved that Hansen would stand up for his teammates, but fighting is definitely not what he is known for. Roussel often punches above his weight class, so it's not surprising that he doesn't "win" them all. But being tough as nails and can still play hockey is a real asset.

Strange how some will clamour for signing Hansen at 32 years old for a year or two but complain about a 4 year deal for Roussel who's only 28 and has plenty of game left in him. Hansen may have come cheaper, but we are also not tight in cap space either.

21 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He suffered some injuries in his final season with us, but his numbers indicated that he was producing at a 0.46ppg pace (38 points over a full season) which is well within his career average. To put it into perspective, our top point producer that season was a 52 point Bo Horvat. Hansen's passing was very underrated and certainly didn't help that the team wasn't scoring that season overall.

He had numbers that were completely inflated by playing with the Sedins. He was always pretty much a 15 - 20 point player. Its easy to pick up secondary assists and rebounds playing with the sedins. Even Jensen looked good playing on their wing...

11 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm not sure how you could say he wasn't a legitimate NHL player at that time. You could make that argument for his time in San Jose obviously, but he was very clearly an NHL player in Vancouver and a pretty quality one at that.

Nah. He was already on the decline and the sedins were propping him up. You could tell he was done soon when the trade was made. Total fleece. Without the sedins there was no way he could produce like people thought he would.  

10 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Actually no. He was one of our best second tier players. Speed kills and Hansen showed that most nights - you don't need "great hands" if that's your beef, when you are leaving the opposition in your slipstream.

Hansen was also a guy who never hung back when there was any trouble and the difference between Hansen and say Burr in that respect was Hansen was a legit "handful" when he was angry.

Speed does nothing when it can't score aside from helping keep pucks out of your own net. Which is why he was a good grinder, but he was never second tier. Players like Hansen are the reason we have been in the basement for the last 6 years. Can't win if that's your second tier. You need hansens to play on your 4th line and get 4th line min too. 

2 hours ago, LarsEller said:

He had numbers that were completely inflated by playing with the Sedins. He was always pretty much a 15 - 20 point player. Its easy to pick up secondary assists and rebounds playing with the sedins. Even Jensen looked good playing on their wing...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78706

Hansen played maybe one season with more than spot minutes with the Sedins in which he did benefit from them (and so what if he did? It shows that he can step up to the plate if called upon). Hansen certainly didn't get top PP time with the Sedins where the twins  generated a lot of their offense. I might even venture to say that his forecheck and puck battle benefitted the Sedins as well considering he was playing with them around the decline years were happening.

The rest of his time with the Canucks, he was a 3rd/4th liner. The one year where he looked to have 2nd line type minutes was the shortened season where he was scoring at 50 point pace over an 82 game season (0.57ppg). His career ppg is 0.4 (including even his poor years) which averages to 33 points a season, so I don't know in what world would that suggest he's a 15-20 point player. Add the fact that he was one of the top PK guys, hard to play against and would stand up for his teammates.

I'll reiterate that he was a 9th round pick. The fact that he has even made a career for himself is a success for himself and for the team. I'm not sure what expectations you have for him.

Jensen had 6 points in 24 career games with the Canucks, so I'm going to say no he didn't look good playing on their wing.

14 hours ago, coryberg said:

That guy in a Sharks jersey was a pale imitation of the Hansen who played for us. (are we even sure he was not still carrying an injury there?)And yes he didn't fight often but he never backed down, that is why most (non goon type) players didn't mess with him. They knew he had a temper and if they pushed him too far it would not be a role in the ice like say would happen with Burr.

Hansen was what you saw when he took an injury and yet still waded in to Kadri for his illegal hit on Danny(?) I am disappointed that any Canuck fan would choose THAT video as part of a criticism of a well loved Canuck.

4 hours ago, LarsEller said:

Speed does nothing when it can't score aside from helping keep pucks out of your own net. Which is why he was a good grinder, but he was never second tier. Players like Hansen are the reason we have been in the basement for the last 6 years. Can't win if that's your second tier. You need hansens to play on your 4th line and get 4th line min too. 

Second tier does not mean 2nd line, it means the workhorses and Hansen was comparable with any opposition player in that tier and better than most.

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Second tier does not mean 2nd line, it means the workhorses and Hansen was comparable with any opposition player in that tier and better than most.

This kind of thinking is why the Canucks fans are ridiculed by eastern media. 

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

No it's because we think only shiny new toys are worth more than other teams shiny new toys because our fans are so insular.

Or maybe it's because the fans in general are delusional about anyone to ever put on a Canuck jersey. People were talking like Cole Cassels was going to be a better pick than McDavid before he even played a training camp. Hansen being better than most is pretty much the same category of lunacy. To bad the team has nothing exciting to talk about this summer. 

Archived