The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jannik Hansen signs in KHL

1 hour ago, Cramarossa said:

This makes me so sad. I love Janny, was really hoping he could find a way to stay in North America. I wish him well. 

thats how I feel as well. But 9 1/2 years in a place you liked in pro sports is a pretty amazing run. 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It was Hansen for Goldobin, Palmu, Gunnarsson.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

4 goals

17 assists

61 games

for

Nikolay Goldobin

Petrus Palmu

Kristoffer Gunnarsson

Goldobin alone already has:

11 goals

6 assists

50 games

Crazy how Palmu actually has the potential to become the best player from that deal. 

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Is his game that much different than Roussel’s?

Roussel is worth $4m, but Hansen can’t even get a contract?

I don’t get it. I would have brought him back and watched his game round back into form as his old role was given back to him. 

I bet Bo would agree with me.

Hansen prob wanted more term as he is 32, wants to prob play his last contract.

2 hours ago, nzan said:

I don’t get it. I would have brought him back and watched his game round back into form as his old role was given back to him. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Poor comparison.  Roussel's game is nothing like Hansens'.

$4m does seems high for Roussel, but the salaries have been ridiculously high lately.

I think Bo will appreciate the grit, scoring and defensive game Rousel brings.  He's a very good agitator. Will be interesting to see how he deals with players like Tkachuk.

Really like Hansen and hope his career in the NHL isn't finished.

Good thing we are only paying Roussel 3 million. Hansen in his prime was well worth 3 million a season (last contract he signed a 2.5 million deal with a modified NTC for 4 years prior to cap increases, etc). Even if Roussel is the same as Hansen (although Roussel has more grit to his game), the contract is very reasonable, plus given that Roussel is younger.

I really liked Hansen and what he brought to the team.  I hope he has a great season, and maybe gets another chance to play for an NHL contender next year.

BTW - Both the Hansen and Burrows trades are looking like unanimous decisions for Benning.  2007 Trade Deadline was a good one for the Canucks.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Poor comparison.  Roussel's game is nothing like Hansens'.

$4m does seems high for Roussel, but the salaries have been ridiculously high lately.

I think Bo will appreciate the grit, scoring and defensive game Rousel brings.  He's a very good agitator. Will be interesting to see how he deals with players like Tkachuk.

Really like Hansen and hope his career in the NHL isn't finished.

As has already been pointed out Roussel is $3m x4, rather than $4m x3 that I had in mind...but is it really that poor a comparison?

I admittedly don't know Roussel's game that well, but Hansen was all about "grit, scoring and defensive game" when he was here.

I guess Roussel is more grit, but Hansen has been the better scorer (even including last year on a ppg basis).

So I guess I'm not arguing so much as asking if you would enlighten me about what I should be waiting/hoping for in Roussel's game?

3 hours ago, nzan said:

Roussel is making 3M NOT 4M per year. 

12 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

And how QUICKLY...

Would have really rather have had Hansen at 600K instead of one of the UFA signings... 

Would be quite the deal to get him at that considering league minimum is 650k.

Which UFA would you rather not have instead of Hansen? Keep in mind that Hansen is a RW and what depth we should have there.

4 hours ago, nzan said:

First, Roussel got 3mil, 4 years. Second, Roussel is younger and does everything Hansen does with more of a physical edge. Which was the area Benning wanted to address. Hansen doesn't help keep opponents in check. So all in all, I'd say yes he is different enough from Hansen to warrant giving him a contract over Hansen. Would it have been cheaper to sign Hansen? Obviously but it doesn't help us where we needed help. A big problem we had was us get bullied night in night out, especially after Dorsett went down. Roussel, like I previously said, brings what Hansen does WITH added physical edge to help open things up for our offensive weapons. 

1 hour ago, nzan said:

As has already been pointed out Roussel is $3m x4, rather than $4m x3 that I had in mind...but is it really that poor a comparison?

I admittedly don't know Roussel's game that well, but Hansen was all about "grit, scoring and defensive game" when he was here.

I guess Roussel is more grit, but Hansen has been the better scorer (even including last year on a ppg basis).

So I guess I'm not arguing so much as asking if you would enlighten me about what I should be waiting/hoping for in Roussel's game?

I suggest you simply wait and see.

It depends on how Green plans to deploy him. Perhaps he sees enough in his game to put him on the top line with Bo and Boeser to add some toughness to the line and could bump his relatively consistent 30 points a year (aside from the past season) to 40-45 points. Perhaps they see similar value with him on a second line that could potentially have Pettersson on it (but I see Sutter being his center and he is chippy enough to handle any rough stuff on that line. Likely he's on a checking line role much like Dorsett was and I think the Dorsett comparison is more in line than the comparison with Hansen simply because of the edge factor. The loss of Dorsett was pretty big last season and we were definitely in the running for a wildcard spot while he was in the lineup.

The one thing that always stood out for me about his game was his tenacity and work ethic, hence the Honey Badger moniker.  He was beginning to develop a pretty good accurate shot before he got traded, and to see his career derail after the trade to the Sharks was sad.

Leaving the only organization you've been with for almost a decade and starting anew with a core you've had an intense rivalry with over the years must have been hard.  

Thank you for giving it your all for the Canucks and us fans.  Your hard work and dedication is a testament to the kind of person we all strive to be.  Good luck in Russia, and I hope to see you back in the NHL.

Archived