The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kavanaugh Hearings

OneSeventeen

12 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I some questions for the Kavanaugh defenders:

Would you pet a dog that might have bitten other people?

Would you let someone stay in you house who might have stolen property from other people?

Would you have unprotected sex with someone who might have been exposed to an STD?

Are you OK with BK and the questions of his character sitting on the highest court in the US for decades?

OR

Would you require a lot more digging into the past of the dog, etc. before petting the dog, letting the person stay in your house, having sex with that person, and letting BK sit on the Supreme Court?

I've never once defended Kavanaugh. Also, I penalize you for lack of originality. Those questions were the same ones used in the SNL episode with Matt Damon as Kavanaugh. To answer the question, the answer is no. But I'm not defending Kavanaugh, one of my first posts was "I don't really care which way the decision goes, and if he gets the job or not" (paraphrasing myself).

I'm as objectively as possible looking at each party involved and determining the veracity of who's doing and saying what. Why does that default to me having to unequivocally support/believe Blaisey-Ford? Do false accusations not occur? Does misrecollection not also occur? Yes. And if this was an actual criminal trial, these things would be vetted properly, and prosecutors being able to fully question people without having Senators meddling and interfering.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VanGnome said:

I've never once defended Kavanaugh. Also, I penalize you for lack of originality. Those questions were the same ones used in the SNL episode with Matt Damon as Kavanaugh. To answer the question, the answer is no. But I'm not defending Kavanaugh, one of my first posts was "I don't really care which way the decision goes, and if he gets the job or not" (paraphrasing myself).

I'm as objectively as possible looking at each party involved and determining the veracity of who's doing and saying what. Why does that default to me having to unequivocally support/believe Blaisey-Ford? Do false accusations not occur? Does misrecollection not also occur? Yes. And if this was an actual criminal trial, these things would be vetted properly, and prosecutors being able to fully question people without having Senators meddling and interfering.

Didn't watch the episode, so fine, you got me there.

However,

I penalize you.  Did I accuse you of defending BK?  No.  I haven't looked though all the pages in this thread and my post was directed to those who were defending BK.

I too am as objective as possible.  The whole reason why this whole thing is a sham has to do with the GOP and their insistence that this happen before the midterms.  I'm fully aware that criminal cases have a higher burden of proof.  This whole process is not criminal, and therefore has a lower burden of proof.  If the GOP was concerned about getting qualified, "good" people on the bench, they would have taken more time an care in who was put forward.  Don't blame Ford and the Dems for how crazy this is.  That falls squarely on TRUMP!! and the GOP.

• Upvote 1

Three points regarding the Fox report: 

1. Fox repeatedly used doctored footage to propagate a false stories about ACORN and Planned Parenthood. When an investigation found that the videos were doctored Fox issued no retraction or apology. This is just one example of the many times that Fox has repeatedly misled views

2. A study Fairleigh Dickinson University found that Fox viewers are more uninformed. See What you know depends on what you watch: Current events knowledge across popular news sources

3. Fox criticized Obama for wearing a tanned suit and having mustard on his burger. 

Fox openly lies to deceive its audience. Their partisan perspective leads to utter nonsense. They have no intellectual integrity to the truth or reality. I won't dignify an argument based on a Fox report with anymore time. 

Edited by OneSeventeen

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

no, you're not. You've been using your interpretation of what you think is credible for an assault victim, when you can't possibly know whats going on in her personal case. We have objecitve evidence that her behaviour is consistent with many known victims, but seem to refuse to acknowledge that. You're giving equal weighting to reports from all sources when they are not all equal in credibility. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, you're not. You've been using your interpretation of what you think is credible for an assault victim, when you can't possibly know whats going on in her personal case. We have objecitve evidence that her behaviour is consistent with many known victims, but seem to refuse to acknowledge that. You're giving equal weighting to reports from all sources when they are not all equal in credibility. 

And when this fiasco blows over and in 6 months time a different story comes out and she is utterly discredited we'll reference back to this thread. The point is when there is a claim of sexual assault, it's absolutely the most important thing to determine the veracity of the claims, as well as the credibility of how the claims are articulated. You also have to take into account extenuating circumstances and everything else beside just the claim in and of itself.

The current legal standard is innocent until proven guilty. Sexual assault victims regardless of gender should have their stories heard, but it should go through the correct channels beforehand and not straight to the press. In this case, everyone is quick to jump to the defense of this woman who is claiming that something happened over 30 years ago, but only... now is it supremely important. What about 6 years ago when Kavanaugh might have been nominated had Romney won the presidential election? Why wasn't this worth pursuing at that point?

The worst thing to do is to unequivocally take claims regardless of who is making them at face value, much less to have this testimony described in the public domain for this kind of scrutiny to even gain legs. There should have been a private investigation long before any public hearing to allow the FBI to do it's job, what it's actually tasked to do. If the claims have merit then and only then should the information become public... but instead her first instinct, 6 years after first outing this to her therapists was to.... call the tip hotline of the washington post?

You do realize who actually owns the Washington Post right? It's Jeff Bezos, known detractor of everything Republican. This woman also has extensive expertise in psychiatry to the point that she has a very prestigious career with Stanford School of Medicine (implying that she understands what people in her exact situation go through, regardless if she is able to internally manage her own psyche). She is a lot more intelligent in this way than your average Senator, and theoretically knows how best to manipulate people. There's too much here to simply take this at face value as a sexual assault claim.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

And when this fiasco blows over and in 6 months time a different story comes out and she is utterly discredited we'll reference back to this thread. The point is when there is a claim of sexual assault, it's absolutely the most important thing to determine the veracity of the claims, as well as the credibility of how the claims are articulated. You also have to take into account extenuating circumstances and everything else beside just the claim in and of itself.

The current legal standard is innocent until proven guilty. Sexual assault victims regardless of gender should have their stories heard, but it should go through the correct channels beforehand and not straight to the press. In this case, everyone is quick to jump to the defense of this woman who is claiming that something happened over 30 years ago, but only... now is it supremely important. What about 6 years ago when Kavanaugh might have been nominated had Romney won the presidential election? Why wasn't this worth pursuing at that point?

The worst thing to do is to unequivocally take claims regardless of who is making them at face value, much less to have this testimony described in the public domain for this kind of scrutiny to even gain legs. There should have been a private investigation long before any public hearing to allow the FBI to do it's job, what it's actually tasked to do. If the claims have merit then and only then should the information become public... but instead her first instinct, 6 years after first outing this to her therapists was to.... call the tip hotline of the washington post?

You do realize who actually owns the Washington Post right? It's Jeff Bezos, known detractor of everything Republican. This woman also has extensive expertise in psychiatry to the point that she has a very prestigious career with Stanford School of Medicine (implying that she understands what people in her exact situation go through, regardless if she is able to internally manage her own psyche). She is a lot more intelligent in this way than your average Senator, and theoretically knows how best to manipulate people. There's too much here to simply take this at face value as a sexual assault claim.

Claims Bezos so it must be biased

Claims fox report with unknown person with ridiculously incorrect timelines is reason enough to discredit said alleged victim.

Also.  Timeline.  30 years ago.  Veracity and authenticity of the story.  Innocent until proven guilty

Image result for priest meme really

Just sayin

Edited by Warhippy

2 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

What is that supposed to mean? what extenuating circumstances? 

Of course there should be proper channels, so why didn't the GOP do that? 

You keep trying to use time as a factor to discredit her, I don't know why you keep doing that, it has no bearing on Kavanaughs guilt or innocence. She wasn't able to come forward before, she's doing so now. Thats all we need to know to investigate.

The FBI was irrelevant to this case before now, how could they possibly know to investigate something if no one had come forward yet?

Give me a break with the conspiracy theory stuff please. So she went to the Washington Post, again that has no bearing at all on the facts. 

I'll say it again, the only person so far that has been proven - not theoretically, actually proven - to not be 100% truthful has been Kavanaugh.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:06 PM, Warhippy said:

Claims Bezos so it must be biased

Claims fox report with unknown person with ridiculously incorrect timelines is reason enough to discredit said alleged victim.

Actually I said the report from Fox News is enough to warrant questions into the credibility. The fact that she chose to go to the Washington Post is just odd, or did you not care to read the rest of the supporting argument, and instead continue down this pitiful strawman line of argumentation? Lol this is beyond ridiculous.

There's bias no matter where you look, and at times yes I have colored my remarks with my own personal bias, but so have you and everyone else. I'm continually talking about the entire context, both sides of the case but the prevailing theme here is her credibility since if not for her doing what she's done to this point none of this would be front page news.

Everyone else is circle jerking in a "leave Brittany alone" pity party. I'm trying to foster a discussion on the possibility of things that are not that outlandish, and it's not at all in defense of the other side.

Edited by VanGnome
  • Upvote 1

Actually I said the report is enough to discredit, the report from Fox News is enough to warrant questions into the credibility. The fact that she chose to go to the Washington Post is just odd, or did you not care to read the rest of the supporting argument, and instead continue down this pitiful strawman line of argumentation? Lol this is beyond ridiculous.

There's bias no matter where you look, and at times yes I have colored my remarks with my own personal bias, but so have you and everyone else. I'm continually talking about the entire context, both sides of the case but the prevailing theme here is her credibility since if not for her doing what she's done to this point none of this would be front page news.

Everyone else is circle jerking in a "leave Brittany alone" pity party. I'm trying to foster a discussion on the possibility of things that are not that outlandish, and it's not at all in defense of the other side.

So what have we learned then about the "two sides"? which one has been shown to be more untruthful about their history? or the one that needs fake reports? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What is that supposed to mean? what extenuating circumstances? 

Of course there should be proper channels, so why didn't the GOP do that? 

You keep trying to use time as a factor to discredit her, I don't know why you keep doing that, it has no bearing on Kavanaughs guilt or innocence. She wasn't able to come forward before, she's doing so now. Thats all we need to know to investigate.

The FBI was irrelevant to this case before now, how could they possibly know to investigate something if no one had come forward yet?

Give me a break with the conspiracy theory stuff please. So she went to the Washington Post, again that has no bearing at all on the facts. 

I'll say it again, the only person so far that has been proven - not theoretically, actually proven - to not be 100% truthful has been Kavanaugh.

Wrong again bud. Do some research on this. When Romney was in line to potentially win the presidency in 2012, Kavanaugh's name will surface from a $&!# ton of search results (if you can wade through the current results) from 2012 as Kavanaugh was widely reported as having been a potential nomination then. In 2012 is when this was first brought up to her therapists. So because Romney didn't win, what it's not important enough to come forward with?

This is not my personal point of view, but it is merely a theoretical "well that's convenient". Perhaps the Republicans caught onto it then, with Trump having been president now they decided to move forward first with Gorsuch, then bait the waters this time around with Kavanaugh a second time and the Democrats took the bait? I don't know if that's at all plausible, but it's not far fetched when you take into account the Democrats inability to not &^@# up the simplest of things (ie nominating Clinton over Sanders).

At this point I hold nothing out of the realm of possibility, but everyone seems to get so damned tunnel visioned with directly what's in front of them.

Just now, gurn said:

To me, I don't need to believe there was an assault to believe Brett  is not suitable to be a Supreme Court Judge. All I had to do was watch his testimony after Ford spoke.

Yeah that's pretty much where I stand. I just find the circumstances surrounding all of this to be incredibly fascinating, as well as the direct testimony of Ford.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So what have we learned then about the "two sides"? which one has been shown to be more untruthful about their history? or the one that needs fake reports? 

Well there's also the fact that she knowingly misled people to think that she has severe psychiatric issues with regard to claustrophobia and flying... when she flys all the time to far away places. That supposedly was why she couldn't go to Washington to originally give her testimony in person. The Republicans also offered to go out to California to meet with her to take her testimony in person, but then it was insisted upon that it had to be a public hearing.

That would make me ask questions about what else has she not been completely honest about.

Wrong again bud. Do some research on this. When Romney was in line to potentially win the presidency in 2012, Kavanaugh's name will surface from a $&!# ton of search results (if you can wade through the current results) from 2012 as Kavanaugh was widely reported as having been a potential nomination then. In 2012 is when this was first brought up to her therapists. So because Romney didn't win, what it's not important enough to come forward with?

This is not my personal point of view, but it is merely a theoretical "well that's convenient". Perhaps the Republicans caught onto it then, with Trump having been president now they decided to move forward first with Gorsuch, then bait the waters this time around with Kavanaugh a second time and the Democrats took the bait? I don't know if that's at all plausible, but it's not far fetched when you take into account the Democrats inability to not &^@# up the simplest of things (ie nominating Clinton over Sanders).

At this point I hold nothing out of the realm of possibility, but everyone seems to get so damned tunnel visioned with directly what's in front of them.

No its you who are wrong, again. It doesn't matter at all from a legal pov that she didn't come forward before. It has no bearing at all on the legal side or her credibility. 

Look at the logic pretzel you are trying to create. Seriously, why do that? 

Well there's also the fact that she knowingly misled people to think that she has severe psychiatric issues with regard to claustrophobia and flying... when she flys all the time to far away places. That supposedly was why she couldn't go to Washington to originally give her testimony in person. The Republicans also offered to go out to California to meet with her to take her testimony in person, but then it was insisted upon that it had to be a public hearing.

That would make me ask questions about what else has she not been completely honest about.

No she did not. You can have a genuine fear of flying and still sometimes be able to get on a plane. Buddy, you really know how to step in it. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

No she did not. You can have a genuine fear of flying and still sometimes be able to get on a plane. Buddy, you really know how to step in it. 

@VanGnome I genuinely believe I'm going to die every time I get on a plane and you know what? I do it anyway because it's a necessity. FFS.

• Like 1