The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kavanaugh Hearings

OneSeventeen

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Technically you could make a bum off the street a Supreme Court Justice if nominated and confirmed.  Being a lawyer or judge is not required.

True dat....they did it with the presidency, so why not the Supreme Court?

Just now, BPA said:

That seems messed up.   

How do you figure?  There are non-lawyers in the Justice Department that are just as qualified to become justices.  The Supreme Court doesn't rehear whole cases.  It listens to lawyers arguments and determines the constitutional merit as it pertains to the lower court decisions.

24 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Technically you could make a bum off the street a Supreme Court Justice if nominated and confirmed.  Being a lawyer or judge is not required.

I'm thinking that would be a great idea going forward. The Untied States of America would probably benefit from a homeless person becoming a supreme court justice. I mean, an asshole is president, so why not go with a theme?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking that would be a great idea going forward. The Untied States of America would probably benefit from a homeless person becoming a supreme court justice. I mean, an asshole is president, so why not go with a theme?

Trump isn't the first a-hole as president and he won't be the last. 

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Haha 1

My kind of protest:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/05/politics/protesters-kavanaugh-mcconnell/index.html

Protesters gathered outside the home of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and staged a "confirmation kegger," in the final hours before the Senate prepares for a confirmation vote for Brett Kavanaugh's embattled nomination to the Supreme Court.

Bearing cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer, signs with Kavanaugh's fraternity letters DKE, sunglasses and straw hats, the protesters sang "what do we do with a drunken justice early in the morning" and "what do we do with a confirmation early in the morning" to the tune of the sea shanty "What shall we do with a drunken sailor," followed by chants of "chug."

Protesters supply the beer and Mitch supplies the Coke? B)

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

LOL some red state Dems going to vote yes. Like I said, towing the Republican party line. Dems need to fold; a totally useless party, especially with Schumer and Feinstein at the helm. Those dinosaurs are so far out to lunch it is unreal.

Where are you getting this? Not even Faux news is reporting on it....:unsure:

The one thing I found when searching for evidence to back up your claim was Heidi Heitkamp saying she'll vote "no".

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't see it anywhere on their website. Maybe you could post a link?

BBC has an article up on it now. It was the trial vote for the real thing tomorrow. Everyone voted along party lines except Munchin (D-West Virginia) and Murkowski (R-Alaska) - resulting in 51-49. But a couple on the fence have said they may re-consider for the real vote tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, Canadian said:

BBC has an article up on it now. It was the trial vote for the real thing tomorrow. Everyone voted along party lines except Munchin (D-West Virginia) and Murkowski (R-Alaska) - resulting in 51-49. But a couple on the fence have said they may re-consider for the real vote tomorrow.

AFAIK, it was a vote on whether to end the debate and move the actual vote forward. Any speculation about how certain undecided Senators will vote on confirmation is just that, speculation.

• Upvote 1

At this point I believe he is getting confirmed.  even though the GOP KNOWS he is unfit they don't care.

But a part of me hopes that 2 or 3 GOP members vote against him just to see Trumps epic twitter meltdown blaming Soros and the Clintons

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

At this point I believe he is getting confirmed.  even though the GOP KNOWS he is unfit they don't care.

But a part of me hopes that 2 or 3 GOP members vote against him just to see Trumps epic twitter meltdown blaming Soros and the Clintons

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I think there's a decent chance that Manchin will vote yes. Polls in WV show the majority of the population supports Kavanagh and Manchin is up for re-election, so I think me might defect. However, unlike certain CDC posters, I'm not declaring it a fait accompli and I'm certainly not making the ridiculous claim that somehow Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein are somehow responsible, if Manchin chooses to vote with the wishes of his constituents, rather than along party lines.

The guy has really disappointed me is Jeff Flake. I thought he might have been honestly moved by the protests against Kavanagh, but the fact that he's satisfied with this sham of an investigation tells me he was just going through the motions to give the impression that he actually cares about whether BK is fit for the Supreme Court. 

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1