Dylan Samberg: $685k x 3

Jakob Galvas: $685k x 3

Dylan Coghlan: $685k x 3

Martin Fehervary: $685k x 3

Olle Eriksson Ek: $685k x 3

Jonas Rondjberg: $685k x 3

@Canuck Surfer

@Nail

Thanks for your service @Monty, administrative support behind the scenes @Nail.

Super pumped with this group, you might call them black aces? In 2017 we drafted seven players. We signed Gadjovich & Elias Pettersson last spring.

Now 5 more aces, plus Fehervary who was drafted in 2018. All but Coghlan played WJC's. He is having a superb rookie AHL season! 22 points in 37 games as a big minute munching D man. Looking for his 10th goal. All but Samberg, he has a NCAA championship as a top line D to his name, are playing pro. Rondbjerg played with Elias at Vaxjo last year. And played an amazing 4th U20 WJC this year. Galvas is playing big minutes, a key role on his Czech Extraliga team. Which he has played on full time since he was 16. Fehervary played his 3rd WJC's, was dominating at times defensively with great speed, size and puck movement. Much like Samberg? Is tipped to play his 2knd WC's with the Slovakian team.  

Really excited to have this kind of depth in our prospect pool!

• Upvote 2

So now with a day off behind Minnesota GM Canuck Surfer, he discussed ''state of the union!''

In the standings, ''we're exactly where we were last year.'' 16th Overall and owning the last play off spot. He was candid. Last year we spent some 1sts for some young NHL players. It did not really get us ahead he said.  It even has us in tight with cap and we had to expel salary last summer. ''So we wont be heavy buyers!'' For the purpose of going deep in the playoff's. We're content and excited to back our team, let the cards fall where they may...

''We'll be strategic buyers!'' Further into the team evaluation? Our top 6 prospects in front of goal might be D?  F Ryan Kuffner, at 1.4 PPG in the NCAA is probably in the mix? We have three of the worlds top goalie prospects in Mackenzie Blackwood, Tristan Jarry & Evan Fitzpatrick. But that imbalance is not a problem said Surfer. We have a ridiculous 6 rookie forwards currently on our NHL roster. Plus numerous 2knd and 3rd year players. And all our draft picks. So much youth! ''We're exactly where we need to be at 16!''    

On our NHL roster, its simple; we have Gibson as a clear Fantasy NHL star, Pettersson & Matthew Tkachuk as superstars. Darnell Nurse having an encouraging year to lead our D. Essentially two forwards and two D veterans to help guide the team; Andrew Ladd, Brayden Schenn, Alex Goligoski & Kevin Shattenkirk.  With respects to Kale Clague, who may have some big upside? Our team needs two things, and two things only said Surfer. Patience number one!

And a superstar young D man!   A stud young D man is our deadline through Draft goal!

Deadline; Some great young forwards, Adrian Kempe, Mattias Janmark, Kasperi Kapanen, Oskar Lindblom, vet Derrick Brassard, Sam Bennett, prospects not named Clague but including Gadjovich, Tristan Jarry, Evan Fitzpatrick, draft picks, we have all of draft picks, play off D Maddison Bowey, he's young, Juuso Riikola, We don't really want to move any of these assets? But we will!

We will look at 1,2 3, 4 of these assets, depending on who, for a STUD young D to develop with Pettersson & Tkachuk.  

Edited by Canuck Surfer
Forgot Fitpatrick.
  • Upvote 3

Well now I am curious about the 2017 draft, my first in the league...Arguably the best draft I have ever done in a keeper league's entry draft!....here is why I think so;

2017 Entry Draft: 

2017, 1st round, 31st overall:  Urho Vaakanainen (*Boston's 18th overall in the NHL draft) Sidelined by a concussion early he already has 2 NHL games under his belt from the start of the season, had 4 points in 7 WJC games upon return to good health and has gone on to score 8 points in 14 games in the AHL so far...as a Dman he is also plus 4 in the AHL and was plus 5 in the WJC..boom goes the Dynomite!

2017, 2nd round 48th overall: Jason Robertson (*Dallas' 39th overall in the NHL draft) 7 points in 7 games at the World Juniors..38 in 24 with the OHL Frontenacs and 46 in 21 since being traded to the Niagara Ice Dogs for a total of 84 points in 45 OHL games this year and he is still going on pace for 127 points this season! The Ice Dogs are second in their conference while the Frontenacs are at the bottom of the league, so I am glad he was traded to a contender for that playoff experience for a third strait season...important grooming bits!

2017, 3rd round, 93rd overall: Alex Formenton (*Ottawa's 47th overall in the NHL draft) Started the year in the NHL and got 9 games under his belt before heading back to the OHL where he put up 18 points in 14 games so far...but an injury at the WJC's has sidelined this amazing player until later this month. He also had 1 NHL game and two AHL games last season, just after his Draft summer. Big things are coming from Alex as he just played his first game back from that xmas injury last night for the London Knights in the OHL and scored a goal and an assist with 4 shots on net and a minor penalty. Welcome Back to Action Mr. Formenton!

2017, 4th round, 112th overall:  Nate Schnarr (*Arizona Coyotes 75th overall pick in the NHL entry draft) This 6'3" centerman has already put up 75 points in 48 games with the Guelph Storm, and is +22 this year...at the end of last season he put up 2 goals and 4 assists in 6 playoff games and looks better every viewing. What a late round beaut. A fixture on the Storms power play he has 14 points in the last 7 games and is as ON FIRE as one can be throughout the Canadian Hockey League. 

2017, 4th round, 124th overall: Ian Scott (* Leafs 110th overall) What can i say about my last pick of the 2017 entry draft? Lucky Pick. That sums it up. haha. The 6 foot 4 inch tendy out of Calgary and currently playing for the Prince Albert Raiders underdog club was at the World Juniors, playing backup with dignity and poise, allowing 2 goals in his only game there but he looked amazing live at the warmup games in Victoria. In Prince Albert's blue paint this year he has a .932 save % and a 1.91 GAA...which as we all know is a WOW FACTOR in the WHL..WOW.  Currently 31 wins, 6 losses and 2 SOL's. Ian Scott finally has a decent team in front of him, and his future looks very bright, what a lucky "last pick, who is the best goalie left on the board" kind of a pick...; )

I think I had a slam dunk of a draft for my first one in our league and that success is what prompted me to allow Joe Veleno, our first round pick in last summers draft, to be traded for help in net for this coming season and potentially playoffs...however, not everything goes the way you vision board it. haha...We will continue with patience to see if Jake Allen's acquisition pays off. 

2018 Entry Draft: 

2018, 1st round, 14th overall: Joe Veleno (* Detroit's 30th overall) 2 assists in 5 games at the WJC and 78 in 42 with Drummondville of the QMJHL. So much good to talk about but I traded him away so I will just say: live viewing at the Juniors gave me the impression his NHL role might be 3rd line C duties for a decade and more, and my gut feeling was he didn't enjoy himself on the ice at any of the viewings i saw...lost the love of the game with all the hype and expectations that come with exceptional player status? (he was allowed in the Q a year early) No doubt a future star, but the shine came off the nickel at my live viewings, just a little, making him a piece in a deal to bring in Jake Allen...and i won't talk about hindsight here, lol. 

2018, 3rd round, 76th overall: Sampo Ranta (* Colorado's 78th oa) One of the very last cuts to the championship Team Finland at the WJC's, I find it hard to nail down University players, however I think we have a diamond in the rough here. 11 points in 27 uni games for his rookie season. Once he seasons a little and finishes his college experience we expect him to settle into a middle six role on an NHL club and do quite well there. 6'2" heavy on the puck and still 100 days away from his 19th birthday, Sampo Ranta is a player I am excited to watch mature in the game. 

2018, 5th round, 151st overall: Nico Gross (* Rangers 101st overall) Assistant Captain of the Swiss WJC this last winter, and Captain of the Swiss U20's this Dman has 7 points in 12 games representing his country this season and 16 in 43 playing his 2nd year with the Oshawa Generals of the OHL. He is plus 13 and has 61 penalty minutes. High IQ and strong passes combined with his strong physicality and defensive ability makes this late sleeper a solid choice and one to watch down the road. 

I limited myself in the last entry draft, my second of the league, by only having three picks and just one in the top 75 picks. All in all we did okay, and Joe Veleno will be a great player..perhaps I am too harsh at this point, but we had to swing for help in net and needed to part with assets to do so. I can only hope Jake Allen's situation clears up in the next few weeks. 

I am very much looking forward to the next draft, and hope to do just a little better than last time out, but couldn't possibly hope for such a strong year as my first in the league, thanks for reading. 

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Upvote 2

Reports are surfacing that pending UFA Reilly Smith has been a name in quiet talks regarding the trade deadline in Vancouver. Reportedly the team is looking for a pick and a bottom six player on a playoff squad coming back, but with Smith a significant part of a playoff bound squad, a deal would have to be just right in order to get done. Playoff bound squads looking to get better now and for the future may want to consider this option, not just teams looking to build for the future. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

265F788C-7BD9-41E2-9706-A575AE1C8A4E.jpeg

News out of Carolina that Nikita Zaitsev has fallen out of favour. The defender was just extended by the Hurricanes at the beginning of October. However, his play was apparently not to GM Monty’s standards and he was pulled out of the game after the first period. Word is that two star prospects have also been shipped out.

Vancouver Acting Chief Hot Dog Vender and General Manager, Primal Optimist was all smiles this morning in the halls of the Save on Foods Memorial Arena in Victoria BC, his "quiet getaway office just inside the seating area from the top of the North side elevator". GM P.O. was not specific but seemed thrilled with a deal that has been sent to the league to free up a bit of cap space involving a pending UFA that also was going to be in need of a pay raise in the off season. Details to follow as the GM/Cart Vender was busy "practicing" for what can only be described as a raw dog contest....spittle and pink bits flying everywhere....

• Upvote 1

Well, as i was wheeling and dealing and scarfing hot dogs I realized through my team history sheet, i recommend you all keep one, that I had joined prior to the 2016 draft!!! Time flies when you are having fun! So from that first year, I will add to my draft post:

2016 Draft:

12th overall: Logan Brown His rookie AHL season has him on fire!! 31 points in 35 games and this kid is going to light it up in the NHL sooner than later!!! Already has 4 NHL games under his belt and his first point came out of those four games. Excited to have him for sure!!

27th overall: Alex Debrincat Traded away Feb 2017 for Juuse Saros, Adam Musil and Spencer Watson......being 5'7" scared me off this kid, but wow!! Rookie NHL season he put up 52 points and now in his second full NHL year he already has 52...Love his work, but he is too short. lol lol lol...i have to stop saying that about people...

42nd overall; Luke Green Traded away Nov 2018 for David Rittich: I can't find much on Luke Green, might be injured playing for the Moose. Very good result so far from Rittich and I may feel bad about the trade except his last game was 5 weeks after our trade and D-Money also got my prized Joonas Korpisalo a year earlier for Mike Condon a pick and C. Wolanin...balances out in the end sort of, ; ) ...but if anyone has news on Luke Green I am curious. 

57th overall: Jack Kopacka: 3 goals 1 assist in 7 games since return on Fan 25th to the AHL San Diego Gulls in his first season after the OHL time in Sault St. Marie. Jack had suffered a gruesome rare wrist laceration back in mid October...scary, but glad he is back on the ice and performing so well also!! 

64th overall: Henrik Borgstrom Traded away Feb 2017 as part of 4 players sent to get Backes, Ekholm and LIndberg (other three were Skjei, Prince and Stalberg) Already in the NHL and scoring 8 points in 22 thus far...well done for him!

72nd overall: Tim Gettinger Traded away Jan 2018 in part for Jeff Petry, Tim already has 4 NHL games under his belt and is doing well in Hartford in his first pro year in the AHL.

85th overall: Simon Stransky: signed in Europe and has left the team.