The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Dec. 09, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

He went to hf boards!  They consider him a top poster now!  :ph34r:

are we the HF farm team now???

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It takes time to recover from that kind of schedule, and yes, Beagle returning did have a significant affect on Horvat, for instance, who didn’t have to spend his entire game running out there to take any critical face off.  Playing those kinds of minutes took away significantly from his offensive game.  Just look at how many face offs Horvat has had to take - the most in the league by 120 over the next highest. It’s not just that, but a huge portion of those face offs are in your own zone where, if you lose, you are not getting off the ice right away.  The lack of both Beagle and Sutter meant that load was almost all his.  Beagle coming back helps him a lot.  Sutter and Beagle not being there also led to a significant diminishment of the PK effectiveness - winning draws on bathe PK is very important to an effective PK.  The Canucks are not a very deep team and the talent drop off is abrupt.  Getting Sutter in the lineup should becofvsignificant help to Vancouver

I still don't see why Gaunce didn't get a sniff during that stretch.

23 minutes ago, lmm said:

NOt really, I have no problem with Shinkaruk for Granny but the price for Baer was a bit steep. Add in a 2nd for Vey and that is a big over payment for a player they very likely could have grabbed off waivers. With the roster limit, sometimes you want to shed a contract to pick a guy up, but that is not when you spend 2nd-3rd rounders

A 2nd round pick was too steep for Baer?

That's just crazy talk.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

NOt really, I have no problem with Shinkaruk for Granny but the price for Baer was a bit steep. Add in a 2nd for Vey and that is a big over payment for a player they very likely could have grabbed off waivers. With the roster limit, sometimes you want to shed a contract to pick a guy up, but that is not when you spend 2nd-3rd rounders

Technically not even possible.

Baer was an upcoming RFA that told the Flames he was not going to re-sign with them.  He can't be put on waivers if he doesn't have a NHL contract.  His agent was given permission to talk to teams and there were several suitors.  Vancouver was picking late while the teams he mentioned were mostly non playoff teams.  They would be picking early 3rd that's why Vancouver had to give a late 2nd to leapfrog them.  

Fwiw of all the Fs drafted in 2006 to 2013 in the 2nd round less than 8% produced at a 0.5 pace or more last season (11 for 144 drafted) - the bulk of the Fs don't even make the league.  That was all 2nd rounders and Baer was a late 2nd at 53.  

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I wouldn't go that far, they lost a lot of 1 goal games and were in most games. I wouldn't call that "abrupt". They're still not 100% but are now leaning back into the W column.

They lost a lot of one goal games... after leading into the third period - a clear sign of accumulating weariness.

6 hours ago, lmm said:

are we the HF farm team now???

I still don't see why Gaunce didn't get a sniff during that stretch.

I agree with your point about Gaunce not getting in..  I thought he played well when he got in.  He was even productive offensively, and he has continued that effectiveness in Utica.  

Archived