The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeff O Neil's gold medal stolen in Vancouver Night Club

6 hours ago, Toews said:

Couldn't care less what he did, I hope he gets that medal back unharmed. Not every single player that represented and helped Canada win on the global stage was an angel or liked the Canucks but they showed up for their country, contributed their blood, sweat and tears and did it without compensation. For that they have my eternal respect. 

It's an honour to be picked....we  really owe him nothing.  I base how I feel about people on how they treat others, what they're like, etc.  NOT on accomplishments in sports.

You make it sound like he served in the army....he represented his country in a hockey tournament.  It's an opportunity not a chore.

39 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's an honour to be picked....we  really owe him nothing.  I base how I feel about people on how they treat others, what they're like, etc.  NOT on accomplishments in sports.

You make it sound like he served in the army....he represented his country in a hockey tournament.  It's an opportunity not a chore.

I am not saying you have to respect the person but you have to respect the achievement.

It maybe an honour to be chosen but also one for which these kids aren't compensated. They also have to hear the savage attacks from the media and fans if God forbid they make a mistake like Virtanen did or in the case of Comtois because he missed a penalty shot.

I hear Ian Mitchell was crying after the game and apologized for letting down Canada. We have built these games to have immense, national level significance and the players go out and play like it and put their heart and soul into it. 

There is also little upside for those playing other than representing one's country. If you are playing for Team Canada then you likely already are a drafted player so in the majority of cases this isn't a case where a kid is trying to raise his stock. 

I am a bit of a sucker for going out there and doing something purely for the selfless love for one's country. I suppose in that manner it is similar to the military but of course, nothing close to the same.

28 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

FYI guys, the roxy is a known hangout for Canuck players and visiting road players.  I had friends that saw naslund, bertuzzi, Cooke among players you can bump into at the roxy.  That said I’m surprised a fat guy like him will still drop by the roxy of all places. 

The writer made a mistake- it was actually stolen from Roxy Burger. 

Archived