The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

On 5/29/2022 at 3:50 AM, 73 Percent said:

Just walks right on to the top line eh? 

You'd want a big sandpaper player for that line, would be targeted for sure. This is why JR needs to be wise with his signings and toughen us up to be with the right players who need it when the playoffs begin. We don't need a lot but like he said "some" is necessary! The right some is another matter... 

17 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Miller is bye bye mode!

Nah he's in payday mode and I'm sure he doesn't mind being in Vancouver or he'd have already asked for a trade when we tanked for the first half of the season. It's a toss up but hopefully he stays. His D game isn't the best and sometimes costly mistakes and that's a thing that can be used in negotiations but expect JR to lighten up cap space for a good raise or I guess trade but either way, we win in the end because we'd get a good return. Benning rocked the show on that steal! 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Googlie said:

And again.

Question: Does he make Boeser expendable?  Am drooling at the thought of he and Petey together on the powerplay!!

Have to wait until he touches NA hockey to be saying things like that.

Looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, Googlie said:

And again.

Question: Does he make Boeser expendable?  Am drooling at the thought of he and Petey together on the powerplay!!

Not trying to be obtuse but why does Boeser need to be expendable. Imagine if Brock really finds his game this year and puts away 30+ goals and this kid can find the net consistently, wouldn't that just be awesome for the team?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Googlie said:

And again.

Karlsson (or Kuzmenko; if he signs with us) make Garland expendable.  

Boeser shoots to well to be replaced. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Karlsson (or Kuzmenko; if he signs with us) make Garland expendable.  

Boeser shoots to well to be replaced. 

Why not just have Karlsson make our search for a 3C expendable?

I know nobody expects him to play C in the NHL but there was a similar point in Pettersson’s (albeit younger) career where nobody expected that either.

Kuzmenko and Hoglander on his wings for a scoring 3rd line with sheltered minutes.

Keep all of Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Podz, Horvat and Garland in our top 6.

Focus on fixing the D and then dominate.

• Like 1

Last year for Boeser has to be given some lead way with his dad heath on his mind. The game of hockey just does not matter when life is crapping on you, and Boeser still had a good season. I have a feeling he's going to play for his dad the next few seasons and we will see an improved player in all parts of the game. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Last year for Boeser has to be given some lead way with he dad heath on his mind. The game of hockey just does not matter when life is crapping on you, and Boeser still had a good season. I have a feeling he's going to play for his dad the next few seasons and we will see an improved player in all parts of the game. 

Yeah I have a sneaky suspicion that he'll take off next season as well. 

It's not just that his dad passed away, also the type of sickness that he had it must've been extra tough on him. 

On 6/12/2022 at 8:17 PM, Googlie said:

And again.

We’re seriously asking if a kid who has never played an NHL game, and was not even a point per game guy in the SHL at the age of 22, makes a top six NHL veteran expendable?

Karlsson had a great rookie season, but he projects as a 3rd line, maybe occasional middle 6 player with some 2nd unit power play time.

Fans need to get  realistic about expectations. He’ll be a solid 2 way player, he’s not the second coming of anyone!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Googlie said:

Sure, I have high expectations... he is my avatar, after all.

He'll surprise a lot of fans this fall

Really hope he does, but becoming a solid NHL, middle 6 guy would be AWESOME from where I see this kid. He's a great shooter and will give us another option on 2nd unit power play.

He broke Pettersson's rookie record by 2 goals, but Pettersson set that record, 3 full years younger and was the playoff MVP that year, carrying his team all the way through the playoffs.

I just don't see him becoming a first line guy at any point of his career. That doesn't mean that he won't be a valuable player for us, rounding out or overall lineup.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Really hope he does, but becoming a solid NHL, middle 6 guy would be AWESOME from where I see this kid. He's a great shooter and will give us another option on 2nd unit power play.

He broke Pettersson's rookie record by 2 goals, but Pettersson set that record, 3 full years younger and was the playoff MVP that year, carrying his team all the way through the playoffs.

I just don't see him becoming a first line guy at any point of his career. That doesn't mean that he won't be a valuable player for us, rounding out or overall lineup.

As we all know being a first line player does not always come down to draft position, skill or past production in lower leagues. It about the right fit as per Burrows , Rust, Palat, or Bunting and more. 

12 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

As we all know being a first line player does not always come down to draft position, skill or past production in lower leagues. It about the right fit as per Burrows , Rust, Palat, or Bunting and more. 

Correct, however, the odds of finding one of those players who can ascend to first line, without the draft position is about 100 to 1. So, the odds of Karlsson being able to accomplish that are remote at best.

My point is, let's temper expectations and not put too much pressure on a kid who will likely just be a 3rd line to middle six guy. If he's capable of becoming 1st line, he'll find that within himself.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Correct, however, the odds of finding one of those players who can ascend to first line, without the draft position is about 100 to 1. So, the odds of Karlsson being able to accomplish that are remote at best.

My point is, let's temper expectations and not put too much pressure on a kid who will likely just be a 3rd line to middle six guy. If he's capable of becoming 1st line, he'll find that within himself.

No pressure in giving a player the hope that if he earns it, he can be a first line player regardless of draft position or odds.  

3 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

No pressure in giving a player the hope that if he earns it, he can be a first line player regardless of draft position or odds.  

First line is there for all players if they can exhibit the capability to get there. This is why we don't just hand players spots on the team, despite the fact that it pisses off some fans when we don't. All positions on the team are earned, whether they are 4th line or 1st line. They have to perform to get there and they have to continue to perform to stay there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

First line is there for all players if they can exhibit the capability to get there. This is why we don't just hand players spots on the team, despite the fact that it pisses off some fans when we don't. All positions on the team are earned, whether they are 4th line or 1st line. They have to perform to get there and they have to continue to perform to stay there.

Yes, but you are limiting Karlsson's potential based on him being draft in the 3rd round. You quoted the 1 in 100 odds because of his draft position. If he was drafted in the first round and developed the way he has does that increase his potential to be a first line player.  

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Yes, but you are limiting Karlsson's potential based on him being draft in the 3rd round. You quoted the 1 in 100 odds because of his draft position. If he was drafted in the first round and developed the way he has does that increase his potential to be a first line player.  

I'm not limiting his potential at all. The only one who will determine what Karlsson is capable of, is Karlsson.

My quote though of 1 in 100 past the first round becoming 1st line players is probably pretty generous. Go back 20 years of draft picks, add up all the players selected past the 1st round, and divide by how many of them have developed into 1st line players.

It's not difficult math.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not limiting his potential at all. The only one who will determine what Karlsson is capable of, is Karlsson.

My quote though of 1 in 100 past the first round becoming 1st line players is probably pretty generous. Go back 20 years of draft picks, add up all the players selected past the 1st round, and divide by how many of them have developed into 1st line players.

It's not difficult math.

Do not have to look to the draft, just look at about ever NHL teams top lines, many have late round draft picks as first line players. 

• Like 1